The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning - Capitals

To Tampa Bay:

-Braden Holtby

To Washington:

-Brett Connolly

Reasons for Tampa to do this:

Tampa Bay gets a good young goaile that they need, he is a good player right now but it is also a move for the future, they have a good core of young players like Stamkos, Hedman, Namestnikov, Aulie, Tyrell and then you can add Holtby. And they also have a high 1st round pick and another late 1st round pick so you could add 2 more players to that list. Some might say Tokarski could be that but is he really true #1 in the making? maybe a 1/2 or a journeyman #1 but he just doesn't have the upside of Holtby and he is pretty good be he isn't as developed as Holtby. For next season they could get another decent 1/2 goaile either through trade or free agency and have a tandem in net since Holtby isn't ready to play 50-60+ games.

Reasons for Washington to do this:

Washington gets Connolly who could potentially play in there top 6 next season with a possible departure of Semin. And with Kuznetsov's future up in the air, well most likely in Russia for atleast 2 more years, Connolly could take his place in there line-up and let the Kuznetsov situation Figure itself out.

Holtby is expendable because they are already deep in net with Vokoun and Neuvirth. Vokoun may not re-sign but either way Neuvirth is probably better and he is there goaile for the future and with them both being about the same age they would have to move Holtby at some point.

Holtby for them is like Schneider for us, but instead of Luongo as the other option, they have Neuvirth and Vokoun, neither of which was able to grab the starter role with any confidence. That'd be like Edmonton having drafted Schneider but trading him so they could keep the tandem of Dubnyk and Khabibulin as the future of the franchise.

Holtby for them is like Schneider for us, but instead of Luongo as the other option, they have Neuvirth and Vokoun, neither of which was able to grab the starter role with any confidence. That'd be like Edmonton having drafted Schneider but trading him so they could keep the tandem of Dubnyk and Khabibulin as the future of the franchise.

Tampa should go after a guy who's an elite goaltender already(a.k.a Luongo/Miller/Thomas). They made the mistake of going with a relatively unproven goaltender with Mike Smith and then letting him go for nothing.

Holtby didn't even get the starting job with Washington until the playoffs. Only reason he got in was because of injuries, sure he's played great. But Mike Smith played great in Dallas and was a complete flop in Tampa, they had to go out and get an aging Roloson and let the future star go for nothing. Can't make the same mistake twice.

How is he like Schneider? if anything Neuvirth is like there Schneider, yes Holtby has been good but then again playoffs bring the best out of people, this performence isn't his consistent preformence, he wouldn't play like this all the time.

If anything Holtby would be like our Lack but obvisously better, but he isn't as good as schneider.

And as for the Edmonton thing, it would be more like the other way around, Holtby being Dubnyk and Neuvirth being Schneider.

Holtby has more upside than Dubnyk but as I said Neuvirth and Holtby are the same age I believe and Neuvrith is better than him right now, they both have great upside but Neuvirth is probably better.

My example isn't comparing the quality of goaltenders as much as the way Washington is being patient with Holtby. Up until the playoffs, they've only used him sparingly and allowed him to develop.

They've tried giving Varlamov and Neuvirth the reigns but neither have been so good they had an obvious choice. They brought in Vokoun to support Neuvirth but he expected to be the starter, and then didn't perform like he had in Florida anyways. Washington wants steady, reliable goaltending - something they haven't had since the days of Kolzig - and I think they'd be willing to wait for Holtby rather than put all their eggs in Neuvirth's basket.

They have a mix of prospects in the system, with Orlov coming up and Holtby looking ready, but if the rumours about Kuznetsov are true that he wants to stay in Russia for 2 more years, I agree with you that they could use another offensive prospect. Galiev and Eakin are solid but their forwards drop off from there. Their goalie and D prospects drop off after Orlov and Holtby too.

I'd think they might be more likely to put one of their defensive players up and a pick if they did want to go after an offensive prospect. They are solid with the group they have now, and don't want to detract too much from it, but they have enough size they might be ok with moving Jeff Schultz (and Tampa would be looking for immediate help there) to get someone back, but I don't feel they'll be happy moving Holtby unless someone overpays.

So by this you mean Washington trading a young holtby and letting a future star go?

In my post I explained that Holtby is expendable because of Neuvrith, he has just as much upside and he is already a better goaile than Holtby, he is definetly one of the best young goailes in the game.

Holtby hasn't even played a full time back up role in the NHL yet. How is he a future star already. Michael Leighton and Brian Boucher got the flyers to the finals and they're career back-ups. Halak was way better in his one dominant playoff run and he got outperformed by a ufa signing this season.

Archived