The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Being Knocked Out Of The Playoffs Early Mean We Get To Pick Higher Up In The Draft?

Teams that lost in the first 2 rounds pick 15 to 26 depending on their regular season records

The division winners have the lower 4 picks while the "wild cards" have the higher 4

Therefore, Canucks have the 26th pick

To my understanding it is based on playoff performance with regular season records determining the rest...The canucks were the president trophy winners so they had the best record but seeing as we also got eliminated in round one we would pick 22nd. This is because of the 8 teams eliminated we had the best record so 14 (the non playoff teams) + 8 (because we were the best team record wise to get eliminated first) = 22nd pick

Correct if if any of the above is wrong but I believe that is how it works

To my understanding it is based on playoff performance with regular season records determining the rest...The canucks were the president trophy winners so they had the best record but seeing as we also got eliminated in round one we would pick 22nd. This is because of the 8 teams eliminated we had the best record so 14 (the non playoff teams) + 8 (because we were the best team record wise to get eliminated first) = 22nd pick

Correct if if any of the above is wrong but I believe that is how it works

If it were up to me, in a cap league I would have it that the lottery would be higher chance for those that are the best teams that did not make the playoffs. (Avs and Stars for example)

Bottom feeders would have to compete harder and play their guts out if they want that number 1 pick. May not be a new fair, but it would make for better hockey from eliminated teams.

Archived