The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Will The Vancouver Canucks Look Like Come October?

Mike Gillis was awarded a new contract with the Vancouver Canucks.The length of the contract was not mentioned but probably sits at 2 years. He has the dubious responsibility of getting the Canucks in Stanley Cup form.

Last season was a bust. Vigneault seemed to have lost control of the ship at times and leaned heavily on both goaltenders far too often. This exposed the Canuck's defense as merely average. Barely able to contain some teams top lines.

The forwards were off and on. Sporadic. Not for lack of talent though. It seemed as though they ran out of gas in January and never regained form.

Gillis has stated that nothing major needs to happen, but c'mon. Seriously?

The Canucks need to make at least one major signing happen in the offseason. I'm thinking on defence.

The one player the Canucks stand a chance getting now that his team lost to Phoenix is Shea Weber. Yeah, yeah, I know you're all tired of hearing this, but with a near sweep at the hands of the Coyotes, Nashville will have a new captain in October. Weber was forced by arbitration to play for the Preds this season. Now that he sees defeat again in the second round, he'll will seek to play elsewhere. That seems pretty clear.

The Vancouver Canucks are a perfect fit. They desperately need a veteran presence on the blueline that is fearsome and comptent. Weber brings this. He will get to play with truely elite forwards like the Sedins and Kesler. He will have one of the best young goalies in the league to play with in Schneider.

Hell, Rinne looked somewhat shaky. Send Edler, Booth, and Raymond to Nashville. In return the Canucks become a much better team defensively and considering that Schneider will have his first season as a starter, Weber will provide insurance.

If they can pull off two, even better!.

The second should be a proven top six forward. Kesler could use a hometown winger like Evander Kane. He is supposedly unhappy in Winnipeg. We send Sammi Pahlsson and Aaron Rome to Winnipeg for Kane.

One final idea would be to grab both George Parros and Matt Carkner.

If something resembling what I've mentioned happens, the Canucks will be much harder to play.

If nothing happens, I can't see us making the playoffs

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Zack Kassian

Evander Kane - Ryan Kesler - Alex Burrows

Chris Higgins - Manny Malhotra - Jannik Hansen

Byron Bitz - Max Lapierre - George Parros

Dan Hamhuis - Shea Weber

Matt Carkner - Kevin Bieksa

Keith Ballard - Sami Salo

Cory Schneider

Eddier Lack

So your plan in to trade Pahlsson to two different teams? I am not too sure those teams would agree to that. Also you think two depth players could get a Star player? That can't even work in nhl games...

If Weber's available, we're going to have to ante up a lot more than that to beat out other offers. If it's a package built around Edler my guess is something like:

To Nashville:

Alex Edler

Jannik Hansen/Chris Higgins

Jordan Schroeder/Nicklas Jensen

1st round pick

To Vancouver:

Shea Weber

Matt Halischuk

Obviously I would hope for something less, but let's be realistic here. Shea Weber is one of the best defencemen in the league and teams are going to be clamouring to get him.

Here's what I would like to happen:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Kesler - Booth

Malhotra - Pahlsson - Hansen

Kassian - Lapierre - Bitz

Weise

Edler - Weber/Suter/Other top-4 defenceman

Bieksa - Hamhuis

Tanev - Salo

Alberts

Luongo

Any backup capable of 20-30 games

Here's what will probably happen:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Kassian - Pahlsson - Hansen

Malhotra - Lapierre - Weise

Edler - Salo

Bieksa - Hamhuis

Ballard - Tanev

Luongo

Schneider

That's right, a simple shed of Raymond's 2.5 million, giving Schneider a new contract of around 3.5ish million for 2 years is very doable and probably what MG wants. He really should address our terrible defence, but it's very tempting to keep 2 great goalies.

Pahlsson is an impending UFA. He has no trading value...let alone so much value that you can trade him twice.

Raymond has very little trading value as well. He may not be worth his qualifying offer, and could easily be walking as a UFA.

Edler + for Weber has been tabled before - but it does make a lot of sense. However, it leaves our D-core quite old... And given the circumstances, it looks like Suter will go, and Radulov will go back to Russia, so I expect the Preds to hold on to Weber at all costs - simply to maintain fan interest.

He just left parts of his proposal out

Like where Pahlsson was resigned. Then genetically modified into an nhl superstar. Then cloned

Then we trade both Pahlssons for players that address our team's need.

Solid proposal man keep up the good work

Meh....don't know if this works in capgeek or if it's even plausible but...

Toronto Trade: Luongo + Raymond for Schenn + Steckel + TO 1st (5th overall) + Ashton (prospect)

Reason: TO needs a #1 goalie and scoring depth. Van needs a solid 4th line centre in Steckel and others are trade pieces.

Nashville Trade: Edler + Schenn + Van 1st (26th overall) + Ashton (prospect) for Weber

Reason: NSH rebuilds D core if Suter and Weber are gone. Van gets #1 D-man.

Anaheim Trade: Ballard + Booth + TO 1st (5th overall) for Ryan

Reason: ANA needs more depth. VAN gets a power forward to play with Kesler (hopefully they have chemistry).

UFA signings:

D - B. Jackman $4M - solid top 4 defensive defenceman and BC boy.

G - A. Montoya $0.75M - good numbers for a backup on a terrible team.

F - Z. Konopka $0.90M - fights and wins face-offs.

D - A. Rome $0.80M - depth defenceman

D - S. Salo $1.0M - reduced role but can fill in the top 4 (plus I want him to win the cup with Canucks)

RFA

G - C.Schneider ?? - our new #1 goalie

2012-2013 Line-up

Forwards

Sedin Sedin Kassian - Kassian needs top 6 minutes to flourish...hopefully this works.

Higgins Kesler Ryan - Higgins played well with Kesler and hopefully Ryan gels with Kesler.

Burrows Lapierre Hansen - gritty checking line that can score.

Malhotra Steckel Konopka - reliable 4th line with all centres (but all left-handed)...maybe AV will finally roll all 4 lines.

Weise - spare forward

Defence

Jackman Weber - Weber...nuff said

Hamhuis Bieksa - effective pairing...AV stop juggling D pair.

Gragnani Tanev - risky but capable young D pair...how else are young D gonna get experience.

Rome Salo - solid depth D pairing that can fill in if injuries happen.

Goalie

Schneider - #1 goalie

Montoya - should get better numbers with a better team in front of him

Mike Gillis was awarded a new contract with the Vancouver Canucks.The length of the contract was not mentioned but probably sits at 2 years. He has the dubious responsibility of getting the Canucks in Stanley Cup form.

Last season was a bust. Vigneault seemed to have lost control of the ship at times and leaned heavily on both goaltenders far too often. This exposed the Canuck's defense as merely average. Barely able to contain some teams top lines.

The forwards were off and on. Sporadic. Not for lack of talent though. It seemed as though they ran out of gas in January and never regained form.

Gillis has stated that nothing major needs to happen, but c'mon. Seriously?

The Canucks need to make at least one major signing happen in the offseason. I'm thinking on defence.

The one player the Canucks stand a chance getting now that his team lost to Phoenix is Shea Weber. Yeah, yeah, I know you're all tired of hearing this, but with a near sweep at the hands of the Coyotes, Nashville will have a new captain in October. Weber was forced by arbitration to play for the Preds this season. Now that he sees defeat again in the second round, he'll will seek to play elsewhere. That seems pretty clear.

The Vancouver Canucks are a perfect fit. They desperately need a veteran presence on the blueline that is fearsome and comptent. Weber brings this. He will get to play with truely elite forwards like the Sedins and Kesler. He will have one of the best young goalies in the league to play with in Schneider.

Hell, Rinne looked somewhat shaky. Send Edler, Pahlsson, and Raymond to Nashville. In return the Canucks become a much better team defensively and considering that Schneider will have his first season as a starter, Weber will provide insurance.

If they can pull off two, even better!.

The second should be a proven top six forward. Kesler could use a hometown winger like Evander Kane. He is supposedly unhappy in Winnipeg. We send Sammi Pahlsson and Aaron Rome to Winnipeg for Kane.

One final idea would be to grab both George Parros and Matt Carkner.

If something resembling what I've mentioned happens, the Canucks will be much harder to play.

If nothing happens, I can't see us making the playoffs

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Zack Kassian

Evander Kane - Ryan Kesler - Alex Burrows

David Booth - Manny Malhotra - Jannik Hansen

Byron Bitz - Max Lapierre - George Parros

Dan Hamhuis - Shea Weber

Matt Carkner - Kevin Bieksa

Keith Ballard - Sami Salo

Cory Schneider

Eddier Lack

1st: pahlsson is a UFA, you have to resign him BEFORE you trade him, yet youve traded him twice. 2nd: you would probably have to include kesler in a deal to nashville because there will be a bidding war if weber is made available. 3: does anyone realisticly think that winnipeg is going to deal evander kane here for pahlsson and rome? yes both weber and kane would look really good here, but you need to get real. the 2 trades here wont happen as you have them.

I see Raymond and Luongo being traded for sure.

Ballard and Malhotra are Maybe's

So as of right now I see next year's line up being:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Kassian/Hansen

Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen/Kassian

Volpatti-Malhotra-Weise

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Salo (??)

Ballard-Tanev

I believe Gillis will trade Luongo and possibly Raymond for a younger high end top 6 forward or defenseman (Connolly?Colborne?Schenn?Gudbranson?)

I also see Gillis re-signing MAG and depending on Salo and Ballards situation, we could see him playing regularly.

This is what I hope:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

UFA/Trade-Kesler-Booth

Higgins-Lapierre/Schroeder-Hansen

Volpatti-Malhotra/UFA/Prospect-Kassian/Weise

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Schenn/Tanev

MAG-Tanev/Schenn

Archived