The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Would You Keep Or Get Rid Of On Our Team Moving Forward In The Next 2 Years

nucklehead2

I'd trade Burr and Luongo (or Schneider - much rather keep Schneider, but one of them needs to go - that's a lot of value just sitting there on the table, otherwise) and keep everyone else. I know, I know. Burr is good with the Swededs (most of the time), but as I see it, we are an all-star dman, a power forward who can make an impact today (Kassian will add to that in the next two to three years, but not likely next season), and a pure goal scorer away from being the well rounded team we need to be, and you have to give some to get some. Plus, I think he's a bit of a "rat".

Ideally, the power forward would also be that goal scorer, but as rare a commodity as one of those is, I'd be happy to fill those roles with two players. You can't really just address the defense only or first, either. Scoring has to improve on this team, period. I think you have to get these three player types in here immediately to have a real shot at taking the next step.

None of this takes cap into account, but that's one of those things a good GM could massage into place. Also, I have no understanding of the NHL salary rules/structure. It's never interested me enough for me to try to figure it out.

action_redden.jpgHuet_Cristobal_39_FribourgGotteron.jpg

LOL, CAP?

You'll find that certain teams disregard the cap like it didn't exist.  Those teams are generally successful.

We'll keep everyone here, sign everybody available, and win with entire league in our organization.  Cheers.

TOML

Look at the facts.... Vancouver, Chicago, Boston, Detroit, Pits, St Louis, Nashville, all out in the first two rounds and Philly is next....

thats the last 4 cup winners. It's as simple as this, your team has too get hot at the right time and goaltending and special teams are a huge factor

Posted · Hidden by hockeyville88, May 10, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by hockeyville88, May 10, 2012 - No reason given

get rid of the player's that have tarnished this organization with their diving and yapping and biting. I.e. Kesler, Burrows, Lapierre

Must keep regardless of there year next season burrows edler and lappy and higgins very importnt players to this organization

Burrows and edler have always been great and lappy is a hero to us and he will play just as anyone else depending on the line he is on if he plays fourth line he will not get more then 13 points if he plays third line he will do well and if he plays second or first line he will do amazing he is a great depth guy and so is higgi. Lapierre and higgins are so cheap for what they bring to this team, one thing lapierre can guarentee for us is that he will lead are team in checks, and i look forward to see him sign an extension hear.

The only bad news is that based on lappys resumer he never plays well during the regular season on contract year. BUT HE WILL ALWAYS GUARENTEE A GOOD PLAYOFF

When you make these decisions you have to look at our core, and how teams match up against us. It establishes our needs.

-Our defence has not been able to deal with pressure from attacking big/fast forward groups.

-The Twins with Burrows becomes a defensive liability & can also be shut down by big mobile defences. I don't believe we can win if they are a 1 dimensional line.

I think we almost need to consider moving Edler in a package. We are deepest on left D (Edler, Hamhuis, Ballard), even Connauton & Gragnani our next in line guys are left side. And we are desperate for a high calibre right side guy, size in general and a D man who can rush the puck against pressure when there are no passing lanes. Deal from strength, Edler, to fill weaknesses.

I am vastly more reluctant to trade Burrows. I thought he was our emotional captain. He was the guy who led by example with his level of compete, almost single handily brining life to several lines as he shifted around after the deadline. And he fits anywhere, kills penalties, digs out pucks, checks, can score and pass. But if a package scored Bobby Ryan,?

The problem is you cannot generally get a top guy without at least offering a good replacement in a lineup. Philly got Simmonds + top calibre prospects. Philly's model is probably more realistic than getting a Bobby Ryan. Having a Kassian (or Coutierre) pushing into top lines, while getting a match up body to replace who you give up. It manages caps and loads your team with prospects. So maybe we should be trading Burrows also?

With some luck, that will not be the case. The fill body leaving could be Ballard not Edler, Raymond or Higgins not Burrows to put a decent forward on another team to attract the guy we need. But you have to give up something, and clear cap space to get what you need.

edit; but no more trades that give up pieces that don't provide replacements real time. The key is big fast bodies to fill our lineup, coming with the Kassian type prospects. Thats what we need from the Luongo trade. And it will probably take at least one more trade beyond our goalie move.

I like Pahlsson but it should be Manny retaking the third shutdown centreman, it was his job in the first place. Mason needs another chance, I know its a business but he came off a significant injury this year and his skillset I believe is valuable. Why trade Kbek? he is the only guy that actually stands up and does something when things get out of hand, Otherwise the Hammer, Eddie and Salo just skate around and let the sedins get pushed, and the referees dont respect Rome or Alberts enough and just throw them in the box. Volpatti should stick around hes a BC kid, and Gragnani has the offensive skillset if Eddie gets hurt. The one person who should go is Ballard, that guy is definitley not worth his salary to the Canucks.

Keep:

Tanev

The Sedins

Burrows

Lapierre

Hansen

Kassian

Bieska

Edler

Hamhuis

Salo (If he wants to play another year)

Schneider

Trade/Move:

Kesler (when he finishes recovery)

Booth

Higgins

Ballard

Schroeder

Alberts

Gragnani

Raymond

Weise

Luongo

The above players should be able to provide good return, adding to the top 9 and to top 4 on Defense. Hopefully becoming a team that's faster, younger, more physical and able to match up against anyone in the league. You have to give up something to get something.

Bitz, Ebbett, Rome, Volpatti, Pinizzotto walks to free agency

Malhotra, as much as I like Manny, $2.5 million for a fourth line guy who wins faceoffs, is a bit too much. Buyout or put him in player development.

Did you know that we were the 5th highest scoring team this year? Is scoring really what we need to be more successful?? Last year we were #1 in goals for and we didn't win the cup. Did you know Philly is the only team left that had more goals than us this year? Infact, no other team left was in the top 10 in goals? Did you notice the team that beat us was LA, and they were the 29th highest scoring team. Personally I don't think scoring is the problem, although it was pretty dismall in the last month or so. I think everyone knows we can put 5 goals on the board as well as anyone in the league.

I don't even wanna get into the goalie situation because there's just too many variables but if it was up to me I'd trade Schneider for high picks and keep Luongo, buy low sell high, right?

For skaters though, obviously the Sedins, Kesler, and Burrows are here to stay, and Hamhuis/Bieksa on the blueline. I wouldn't bring back any of the forwards whose contracts are up this year (Pahlson, Raymond, Bitz, Volpatti, Weise, Ebbet). Malhotra, Higgins, Burrows, Lapierre are all up for renewal at the end of next season. All those guys except maybe Higgins should be brought back. Booth is a good player but I think his contract is not good value, trade for picks if possible.

Same for Ballard, he's shown flashes of good play but not providing value for that contract, gotta cut your losses. You'd think Salo would retire but if he doesn't, he can still be good on the third pairing. Rome should be brought back. Gragnani can go. Re-signing Edler and Tanev at the end of next season will cost a lot. Alberts is probably out at the end of his deal.

I like this team a lot, the only players I would move are Ballard, Bieksa, Luongo, Booth(if no chemistry with Kes), and Raymond.

We really need to make a big trade or signing to get that legit #1 defenseman and sign somebody who can play-make on the 2nd line and provide consistent secondary scoring behind the twins.

#1 Defenseman - Suter or Weber

2nd Line Options - Whitney or Parise

raymond n ballard, luongo gone!.....booth goes with one of them if the right deal is there. in return some friggin muscle, it is time to put the butter knives away and bring in some bayonets, we need kassian types good to go now!

Archived