The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Keeping Both Goalies

Gillis should only trade a goalie, if the right trade comes around, he shouldn't be in a hurry to dump either one of em. I think Gillis can afford to sign and keep Schneider and Luongo, for the start of the season. Right now the goalie trade market is very thin, especially with Lu's no trade clause. Gillis should wait for the right deal. I wouldnt mind if Gillis started the season with the following roster.

NYI

BALLARD

ALBERTS

VAN

REASONER

BROCK NELSON (prospect)

CLB

RAYMOND

VAN

DORSETT

2way Deals

Ebbet

Bitz

Gragnani

Lack

Parent

Weise

Duco

Buy out

Malhotra-$833 333

UFA

Rome-2 year

Gill- 1year

Souray-2 year

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / -----Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / ------Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / -----Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / -------Chris Higgins ($1.900m)

Jannik Hansen ($1.350m) /-- Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / ---Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Marty Reasoner ($1.350m) - Samuel Pahlsson ($1.500m)--Derek Dorsett ($1.750m)

Byron Bitz ($0.700m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / --------Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Sheldon Souray ($2.750m) / ---Alexander Edler ($3.250m)

Sami Salo ($2.000m) / -----------Hal Gill ($2.250m)

Chris Tanev ($0.900m) / --------Aaron Rome ($1.000m)

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Cory Schneider ($3.000m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,453,333; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $846,667

Why have older players like Gill, Souray, Reasoner ? They will sign short term contracts, the canucks have to keep money available for 2013 free agency.

During the season Gillis will have more goalie trade options, and then I think he should move some pieces to get us a scoring threat

I'm sure all goaltenders and players in the NHL want a chance to win the cup but I think Schneider won't stay if we decide to keep Luongo. He's been very patient over the years as we developed him and almost every time when he gets asked about being a starter, he always says he'd like a chance someday. Plus, now is the time for him to get his chance, he's 26, he won't get any younger.

I think the management knows that Schneiders 6-7 years younger and still has potential whereas Luongo's reached the peak of his career and most goalies tend to decline around the age of 35. With that being said, wouldn't you rather move Luongo and free up some cap-space to fill other needs in our line-up.

Too much money in goalie position

both goalies want to start

both goalies are allstars/will be allstars

our situation is both beautiful, and terrible, and the only thing making it feel ok, is knowing that one of the two allstar goalies we have, is going to get us another all star in a different position.

I'm sure all goaltenders and players in the NHL want a chance to win the cup but I think Schneider won't stay if we decide to keep Luongo. He's been very patient over the years as we developed him and almost every time when he gets asked about being a starter, he always says he'd like a chance someday. Plus, now is the time for him to get his chance, he's 26, he won't get any younger.

I think the management knows that Schneiders 6-7 years younger and still has potential whereas Luongo's reached the peak of his career and most goalies tend to decline around the age of 35. With that being said, wouldn't you rather move Luongo and free up some cap-space to fill other needs in our line-up.

Archived