The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evidence Age For Goalies Don't Matter

cmpunk

Brodeur at age 40, is going to the conference finals once again in his great career. Tim Thomas at age 37 wins the cup. Think everyone knows where i'm heading with this between our 2 goalies.

We got an experienced and vet right here, who has been through a few highs but many lows and is ready to win. His experience and going through the lows is very valuable. Schnieder, good young goalie. with a POTENTIALLY great future. But another example here of why age in goalies is not a big issue and lotta goalies get better/stay good later into age.

Trade whoever gets you the most, simple.

When I saw the title of this thread I thought it might actually contain some useful evidence. Instead we have two examples with no analysis. Brodeur is well past his prime, as his numbers indicate. He is still pretty good and, like all goalies, has good streaks and bad streaks. But he is not the main reason the Devils are in the conference finals.

Thomas had an excellent year last year but has definitely shown what appears to be an age-related decline this year.

When I have looked at the data before, I concluded that, on average, goalies begin a significant age-related decline at maybe 34 or 35 and very few goalies are still good at age 40. It happens, but not often.

On Schneider and Luongo, Schneider figures to have a much better next 5 years than Louongo, That is not a guarantee but it is how the smart money will bet. And, fortunately, MG is smart.

Brodeur at age 40, is going to the conference finals once again in his great career. Tim Thomas at age 37 wins the cup. Think everyone knows where i'm heading with this between our 2 goalies.

We got an experienced and vet right here, who has been through a few highs lows but many lows highs and is ready to win. His experience and going through the lows is very valuable. Schnieder, good young goalie. with a POTENTIALLY great future. But another example here of why age in goalies is not a big issue and lotta goalies get better/stay good later into age.

Trade whoever gets you the most, simple.

Age doesnt matter for ONE goalie...

Brodeur is the best keeper to have ever played, Thomas didnt get into the NHL until his 30s anyways so hes going to last longer than the average goalie. Most goalies (JS Giguere, Osgood, Hextall, Grant Fuhr, Phil Esposito, Bernie Parent, Ken Dryden, Patrick Roy) retire in their mid to late 30s usually because of injury.

(Dryden retired at 31 or 32 but probably could have played for a few more seasons had he cared more about playing than money.)

Archived