The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Canucks: 10 Players Who Could Be Coming West In Luongo Deal

Sully2Cool

Coming off a season where he was not able to do any off-ice training due to a horrific injury.

When healthy he can put of 40-50 points.

Is defensively solid.

Can play the PK and is one of the fastest skaters in the league.

The NHL is too good a league for a player to put up 25 goals by fluke. He needs a summer to work on lower body strength to improve balance. He didn't get that opportunity last off-season which explains the decline in his point totals.

seriously did you see the uglyness of the goal he let kopitar score. clear shot at taking the puck and turning around, but nope try's to be a big guy and hit him with big failure. not to mention the lack of effort by the gliding D-man Edler behind him , who in my mind played like crap the whole series.

You do know hes a DEFENSMEN. He played great in Montreal.

I was comparing to chemistry. When Carter and Richards were separated they both sucked with out eachother.

I wasnt implying that Higgins and Komerisik have the same talent as Carter and Richards hahaha

Im not that dumb

If Lu really wants out, his list may have to expand...ie...include the Jackets. Columbus is a nice town, great arena and an easy direct flight to FLA. Jackets need to rebuild and having a solid tender is necessary. Luongo, MayRay and Ballard for Nash. All 3 of these canucks would benefit from the pressure release of playing in a quiet but stable market. I am a fan of both teams and feel both would benefit. Having said that, I would be perfectly happy to see Lu, MayRay and Ballard stay on here.

While I like Kulikov alot he's easly Florida's #1. I think Gillis would try for Gubranson he was rumored to be the prospect Gillis was going for when he traded Hodgson........ I would take John Huberdeu as while

Only in Toronto could a player like Komisarek make 4.5 million. Komisarek has been AT BEST a marginal player throughout his career.

I would seriously question Mike Gillis' judgement if he traded Luongo to Toronto unless he was able to get at least Lupul, Schenn and/or Gardiner. I could count on one hand the number of capable players on the Leafs roster and Burke will not be willing to give them up without forcing us to grossly overpay for them.

Guest gumballthechewy

Cheechoo was a great young player whose game was derailed by injuries.

Raymond may be in the same boat, but if he's willing to take a slight paycut, he's worth giving another chance. A 1-year, 2-million dollar deal is what I'm thinking...

Of course, if he rejects that notion, then we either have to give him over 2.5 million again, or let him walk as a UFA. Will Gillis commit to that? Not sure... But I can definitely see Raymond wanting more than 1 year, especially if he's going to agree to a paycut.

*Bump*

The most realistic trade that would go down on that list is Luongo for Luke Schenn but I think Toronto would have to add a little more.

How about Tyler Bozak to round out the trade. He's a player that can maybe play 3rd line centre next year?

Before people start saying he isn't a bottom 6 guy or he's too soft, I looked at his stats and he had the same amount of hits as Hansen and Weise. His +/- is a bit iffy but he was playing on a poor Toronto team. He has offensive upside with 47points and at 1.5million he's also a cheaper option than Malhotra. Bozak also had the 2nd best faceoff % on Toronto this year at above 50%. He could also slot in the 2nd centre powerplay position.

The more I think about it the more this deal would make sense. Any comments?

NHL+All+Star+Game+Portraits+9WYrct5pwytl.jpg

...He was once a very good at complimenting an elite, offensive D-man (Markov). But without that presence to play off of, he is decidedly average.

Matt Carle looked outstanding with Pronger. Beauchimen looked even better with Neidermayer. Each ended up overpaid.

The most realistic trade that would go down on that list is Luongo for Luke Schenn but I think Toronto would have to add a little more.

How about Tyler Bozak to round out the trade. He's a player that can maybe play 3rd line centre next year?

Before people start saying he isn't a bottom 6 guy or he's too soft, I looked at his stats and he had the same amount of hits as Hansen and Weise. His +/- is a bit iffy but he was playing on a poor Toronto team. He has offensive upside with 47points and at 1.5million he's also a cheaper option than Malhotra. Bozak also had the 2nd best faceoff % on Toronto this year at above 50%. He could also slot in the 2nd centre powerplay position.

The more I think about it the more this deal would make sense. Any comments?

Anyway, if I were in Gillis' shoes, I'd be focusing on right-handed defensemen and third-line centres. I think Komisarek, Schenn, and Salmon Arm product Franson could all work out pretty nicely alongside Edler. Schenn would be at the top of my list, but we could use Komisarek's nastiness, like Schenn and Franson, he'd play way better in Vancouver's system than Toronto's hit- everyone-all-the-time defensive strategy.

Volchenkov, even though he's a left-handed shot, would fit the nastiness bill quite nicely as well.

As for the 3rd-line centre hole, if Gillis believes that even with a full summer of serious training that Malhotra can't be a dominant 3rd-line centre, I could see him making an agressive push to sign Paul Gaustad, Jarret Stoll, or Chris Kelly.

Of the players that you list I can only see 2 being of any interest to the canucks. You have made some pretty unsound assumptions in getting to this list. Not least of which is that Luongo is going to get traded at all. The Canucks do not HAVE to trade Luongo. They do not HAVE to trade Schneider, but they do probably have to trade one of them. This makes the return for Luongo substantially higher than you assume. There are 10 NHL teams that desperately need a bona fide #1. The only genuine #1 goalies available that a team can wrap up for the next 4 or 5 years are Luongo and Schneider. Vokoun and Thomas can fill a gap for a year or 2 but teams like TOR,TAM,CHI,EDM,CBJ,FLA,NYI,NJD and COL do not want to have to look for a new #1 every year.

As soon as Schneider is traded, Luongo goes off the market. As soon as Luongo is traded, Schneider is off the market. So demand is out-stripping supply, which means that the price goes up.

Consider the following hypothetic situation; GM Burke is desperate to land Schneids and GM Yzerman is equally desperate to land Luongo. To get the goalie they want , they will each have to offer more than the other GM is prepared to offer for their preferred goalie because if Luogo goes to TAM then Schneids will not go to TOR. So what is Luongo worth? He is worth whatever a GM is prepared to pay to get him. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks about him. It doesn't matter about his contract.

And incidentally, before you assume that Luongo's contract is a bad one, you may want to check out what other goalies have for contracts. Start with Bryz in PHI, then check out the other 7 goalies who have higher cap hits than Luongo . I'm sure PIT and CHI would rather have and Luongo in goal during the playoffs this year than their starters.

Archived