The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Putin Plays Ice Hockey

Buddhas Hand

Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin plays ice hockey

Advertisement

16 April 2011 Last updated at 15:47 GMT Help

In Russia, the fitness-mad Prime Minister, Vladimir Putin, has been showing off a new talent.

He's already been seen driving a Formula 1 car, singing for an audience of Hollywood stars, even saving a group of journalists from a tiger. And, of course, he holds a black belt in judo. Now he's put on his skates to display his prowess on the ice.

Mr Putin's latest exploits are part of his campaign to project an image of a physically-agile, can-do man - especially important given his power struggles with president Dmitry Medvedev ahead of presidential elections in 2012.

Steve Rosenberg reports

is there no end to this mans talents ,he is actually a star , he scored 2 goals , i believe he could be the answer to the top 6 power forward we need , c'mon gillis , raymond , ballard and a first for vladimir putin.

"Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has regularly sought to portray himselfas his nation's man of action, manning fighter jets, going barechested on horseback and trekking across Siberia.

Despite previously renouncing the sport, the 58-year-old premier is now showing off a prowess for ice hockey, taking partin a 40-minute training session with two teenage teams over the weekend. Though he may be busy mulling another run for his nation's presidency in 2012, Putin proved once again that he hasn't lost his vigor.

"I thought this sport was not for me, but now I like it a lot," Putin is quoted by the Telegraph as saying. "It is very dynamic, though a very energy-consuming sport, and from my point of view, it is less traumatic than football."

Watch video of Putin on the ice, courtesy of the Associated Press, here:"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/18/vladimir-putin-ice-hockey_n_850492.html

If you actually saw him play it was like a scene out of the Dictator. Everyone gave him a pass including the goalie as dark suited men in the stands reached for their pockets should anyone other than Putin try to play hockey. Also this was posted here at the time.

Guest BuckFoston

Impressive, but most Russians like watching him wrestle lions, tigers, and bears.. oh my. Preferably shirtless.

Archived