The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Suter: Family A Big Consideration In Signing

Suter: Family a big consideration in signing:

Ryan Suter will meet again with the Nashville Predators in a couple of weeks before he makes a decision about hitting the free-agent market. But wherever he lands, he wants to stay for a long time.

The All-Star defenseman, who becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1, spoke Wednesday as the Predators prepared to go home for the summer after being eliminated from the Stanley Cup Playoffs by the Phoenix Coyotes on Monday night. The 27-year-old said family will play a major role in the decision.

"Wherever I sign, I want to be there for the rest of my career," he said, "and that affects my family, my wife, my kid, if we have more kids … everything plays into it."

However, Suter was noncommittal about staying in Nashville, where he has spent his entire NHL career. Despite the fact that GM David Poile made a number of roster additions at the trading deadline, the Predators were eliminated in the second round of the playoffs -- just as they were a year ago, when they won a playoff series for the first time in franchise history.

"This morning I had a meeting with David and we talked about everything and the future, and how everything will go," he said. "I think we're going to meet again in a couple of weeks and kind of make a decision."

Suter is one of three All-Stars on the Predators. Nashville signed goaltender Pekka Rinne to a seven-year, $49 million contract during the season, and fellow All-Star defenseman Shea Weber has one year and $7.5 million remaining on a deal he received last summer after arbitration.

If Suter does opt for free agency, he's sure to have a number of teams interested in him. For now, however, he wants to unwind for a couple of weeks after a long season.

"Your emotions are so high throughout the year, and you try not to have any distractions, and you're so focused," he said. "Now that the year is over you, want to get away from everything and wind down and you got meetings going on and get back home with your family, but I think the time is to get away from everything."

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=631227

Hopefully he remembers Ballard from the 09 and 07 World Championships, and Kes from the Olympics, we need to try to sell him about how great our city is for families, and tell him about all the great things of our city.

Having him signed for long long long term would not only make us cup favorites for the next few years, and also could make us a contender in the future, he could anchor our blueline for a decade.

And finally bring a cup to our beloved city :towel:

Guest AriGold

Well from where Suter was born Minnesota is 7 hours away and the closest city is Chicago at 2.5 hours away..

Please not Chicago...

MG isn't afraid to dish out the NTC's to build a solid foundation for the team, and with the tight group in the room and set nucleus Suter should be able to become an established part of it. With the roles played by the players in the community this city should be an excellent environment for the entire family (that must've also been one reason why Hamhuis chose to sign here long-term with a NTC. Maybe he can persuade Suter, having been Preds teammates and all)

I really don't like this....sure its great to want everyone who has some talent but we really need to look at our team. Our top four D men are making alot of money.....we can't score people. Do you really want to add another stay at home defenceman who can't move the puck or score....do you want to watch us lose or win games 1-0 for 82 games?

Suter is great, don't get me wrong, but lets ship somone out first. Lets ditch one of our top four contracts and then bring in suter...this will still give us room to get some scoring ability.

Really consider this fans.....we had an awful time scoring for the last few months...like bottom of the league kind of problems. Now we are with out Kesler for a while....even when he comes back the past has told us it will take quite some time to get us to form. We really need to add a quality goal scorer here or not only will we not be cup contenders...its going to be tough to make it past the first round.

I really don't like this....sure its great to want everyone who has some talent but we really need to look at our team. Our top four D men are making alot of money.....we can't score people. Do you really want to add another stay at home defenceman who can't move the puck or score....do you want to watch us lose or win games 1-0 for 82 games?

Suter is great, don't get me wrong, but lets ship somone out first. Lets ditch one of our top four contracts and then bring in suter...this will still give us room to get some scoring ability.

Really consider this fans.....we had an awful time scoring for the last few months...like bottom of the league kind of problems. Now we are with out Kesler for a while....even when he comes back the past has told us it will take quite some time to get us to form. We really need to add a quality goal scorer here or not only will we not be cup contenders...its going to be tough to make it past the first round.

!@# sakes... this decreases our chance of signing him a little. Vancouver is not exactly the best place to raise a family in right now. I hope he doesn't know that, I just hope Hamhius and Kesler is feeding him information on how a great city this is.

Archived