The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bringing In A Superstar For The Whitecaps

ken kaniff

the caps should bring in someone like what NY did with henry and LA did with beckham. im thinking ronaldinho :bigblush: . he may not be a superstar anymore but he is still crazy. :frantic: yes? any other ideas of who you would like to be brought to the caps?

They're already bringing in Barry Robson from Middlesbrough. He's very far from being a real superstar of any kind, but he fills the team's need perfectly, and shows that the Whitecaps are focused on building a brand name around winning, than perhaps around big time players. Also, with his signing as a designated player, I doubt they're going to bringing in another pricey player any time this year.

Whitecaps need a true winger that has pace and some playmaking abilities. Chiumiento has shown glipses of that but otherwise hasn't shown that he can play that role in a full time basis. Camilo and Salgado aren't wingers but are forced to play that role because they don't have anyone that can.

i think if a superstar is brought into van then a lot more people will be buying tickets to games. a single all star or former all star can sell out a crowd. i know when zidane came to van for a friendly game it was sold out within a day. my uncle coached one of the teams and got a couple free tickets and he said people were calling him to get tickets. it was at swangard but if zidane can bring in that many people for a frendly game against the whitecaps(who werent even an MLS team yet) then someone playing full time can bring in quite a bit of people

i think if a superstar is brought into van then a lot more people will be buying tickets to games. a single all star or former all star can sell out a crowd. i know when zidane came to van for a friendly game it was sold out within a day. my uncle coached one of the teams and got a couple free tickets and he said people were calling him to get tickets. it was at swangard but if zidane can bring in that many people for a frendly game against the whitecaps(who werent even an MLS team yet) then someone playing full time can bring in quite a bit of people

• 3 weeks later...

TFC and LA spend the most on players, and are currently both in last place. Not all what what it cracks up to be. Demirt is not a DP, but makes as much as one can with out being a DP. He may be the best defensive player in the league right now. When the transfer window opens, I could see the Caps adding a 3rd for a playoff run, or even get a player on loan.

Last year with Jarju was such a failure that I am not sure they will do this though.

Not that I'm suggesting these players would transfer to the Whitecaps or even the MLS for that matter, but some noteworthy former "superstar" players that recently left their clubs include:

Owen Hargreaves - His knees are made of glass

Alessandro Nesta

Michael Ballack - Attitude problems? Also he wasn't released by Bayer Leverkusen, but there are rumors he' ll leave.

Michael Owen - He is more likely to sign with Sunderland I think

Didier Drogba- He is still clutch in big games and strong in the air, so he probably won't settle for the MLS

The LA Galaxy can do that because they are owned by Anschutz Entertainment, owners of the Staples Center, Home Depot Center and the LA Kings.

Needless to say, they've got money to burn, unlike the Whitecaps.

I don't see another big name unless they fit into exactly what the Caps are looking for. Also, they'll probably have to release one or two to make space under the cap.

• 2 weeks later...

The LA Galaxy can do that because they are owned by Anschutz Entertainment, owners of the Staples Center, Home Depot Center and the LA Kings.

Needless to say, they've got money to burn, unlike the Whitecaps.

I don't see another big name unless they fit into exactly what the Caps are looking for. Also, they'll probably have to release one or two to make space under the cap.

Archived