The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bringing In A Superstar For The Whitecaps

ken kaniff

• 2 weeks later...

He's 30 now and wouldn't join for at least a few years. While he'd still be very competitive in the league, it wouldn't help the 'retirement league' image at all. While I don't know his exact motives for wanting to play in MLS, I'd prefer that the Whitecaps continue looking for players like Lee and Robson who seem genuinely interested in doing their part to help the team and league grow than just an aging big name player who wants easy money. I don't know if Kaka would be one of those players but it's a risk. Teams outside of New York and LA will have trouble attracting players like that anyway

He's 30 now and wouldn't join for at least a few years. While he'd still be very competitive in the league, it wouldn't help the 'retirement league' image at all. While I don't know his exact motives for wanting to play in MLS, I'd prefer that the Whitecaps continue looking for players like Lee and Robson who seem genuinely interested in doing their part to help the team and league grow than just an aging big name player who wants easy money. I don't know if Kaka would be one of those players but it's a risk. Teams outside of New York and LA will have trouble attracting players like that anyway

The NASL failed because of it too. MLS learned from the NASL's mistakes and the slowly increasing salary cap is a responsible way to grow the league. Having a few superteams would kill the league. It might be interesting at first but having the same few teams win over and over would get incredibly boring quickly. Remember when teams like the Wings, NYR, Avs were the highest spending teams in the NHL and nobody else could compete? The parity in the NHL since the salary cap was introduced has made it much more exciting

Most MLS teams don't even turn a profit yet, and allowing them to spend recklessly would be a terrible decision. There's a reason that even UEFA is focusing on curbing overspending with their financial fair play rules. Whether the rules are good/effective is a big question, but it's still an attempt

The NASL failed because of it too. MLS learned from the NASL's mistakes and the slowly increasing salary cap is a responsible way to grow the league. Having a few superteams would kill the league. It might be interesting at first but having the same few teams win over and over would get incredibly boring quickly. Remember when teams like the Wings, NYR, Avs were the highest spending teams in the NHL and nobody else could compete? The parity in the NHL since the salary cap was introduced has made it much more exciting

Most MLS teams don't even turn a profit yet, and allowing them to spend recklessly would be a terrible decision. There's a reason that even UEFA is focusing on curbing overspending with their financial fair play rules. Whether the rules are good/effective is a big question, but it's still an attempt

NASL died because mainly of rapid expansion. Although over spending was an issue. They need to make the DP amount so teams can actually sign 3 big stars in their prime.

The MLS is doing a great job with their developmental system though.

The teams are free to spend as much as they want on their 3 DPs, but they have to be able to pay for it out of pocket. The real problem is that no star in his prime will give up the chance to play for the best teams and in the UEFA Champions League. It'll take a long time until the league is seen as a prime destination, but the potential is there.

The teams are free to spend as much as they want on their 3 DPs, but they have to be able to pay for it out of pocket. The real problem is that no star in his prime will give up the chance to play for the best teams and in the UEFA Champions League. It'll take a long time until the league is seen as a prime destination, but the potential is there.

definitely, Europe is still the best place to play soccer and the plays know that so if they are talented enough they will not pass up the opportunity to go there. players that are older and on the decline might give the MLS a shot but i doubt a lot of them would want to go to a lesser league

Archived