The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks 2012/13 Roster

Gillis has some big decisions to make this year and for fun I thought I would throw out a proposal for what our roster may look like to start the season.

My thoughts are that we need to pick up a 3rd line center either via trade or via free agency as I don't think anyone on the Wolves is ready for that. The need has become even more important with the news of Kes having shoulder surgery and most likely missing a part of the season.

I think we also need a 2nd line winger and some depth on D.

1. I think Gillis will trade Lu and in my opinion the best fit is TO. I am not overly sure what the value is for Lu, but here is my best guess:

To TML - Roberto Luongo

To VAN - Carl Gunnersson, David Steckel, Nazem Kadri

This helps us add depth at the D position, C position and adds some youth. The Leafs seem to be hesitant on whether Kadri can make the jump to the big club so he may be available.

2. I may lose some people here, but we can always dare to dream

To NAS - Edler, Hansen, Rights to Raymond

To Van - Rights to Weber

This helps NAS replace a hole on their D and they also add some speed and some grit in Hansen

3. Sign Weber to a 6 year 39M contract

4. Sign Paul Gaustad to a 3 year 9M contract

5. Sign an experienced goalie to back up Schneider. This will be his first year as a starter and will need someone with experience behind him

6. Have Schroeder/Kadri/Jensen fight for the 3rd line winger spot

7. Add spare parts

**I am slightly over the cap, but I heard today that the cap is expected to go up next year, but who knows with the re-negotiation of the CBA.

Anyway, let me know what you think

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / P-A Parenteau ($2.250m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Paul Gaustad ($3.000m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m)

Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

David Steckel ($1.100m) / Steve Pinizzotto ($0.600m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Shea Weber ($6.500m)

Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Carl Gunnarsson ($1.325m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($3.050m)

Chris Mason ($1.500m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,495,000; BONUSES: $125,000

CAP SPACE (23-man roster):- $1,195,000

Don't think Parenteau would sign for so less...He just had his career year this season, and I know that Daniel Sedin missed some games and didn't play very well this season but Parenteau had the same amount of points as Daniel this season (67 points each).

I'm not comparing their skill level or anything but just wanted to point that out because last year Ville Leino, who had a career high of 53 points, got a ridiculous 6 year $27 million contract ($4.5 million cap hit)....so there is NO WAY we will be able to sign Parenteau for that cheap

Of course, it would be nice to be able to do that but I really doubt it...look at what the Islanders gave Grabner after his breakout season last year. Parenteau is probably worth more to their team, meaning the Islanders (yes they have financial issues) will most likely give him a much better deal than $2.25 million a year.

Burke doesn't even reply to Gillis' offer, he unplugs the phone and throws it in a bonfire. No way Burke would make that trade for Luongo. They're in need of a goalie but there are FAR better options Burke could go after. Don't like the Parenteau signing either(Ville Leino anyone...?). Also, chances are NSH won't be getting rid of Weber.

Archived