The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Summer Time! Bits N' Pieces To Build On!

Herberts Vasiljevs

Nice post. I agree that some of our forward group under performed. Booth and Kesler just don't mesh as both are shoot first players and should be on separate lines. I believe the following changes will improve our depth immensely:

1. Package Luongo & Raymond & a pick to Toronto for Dion Phaneuf & TO's 1st round pick

2. Sign Zack Parise to a $6.1 cap hit or less (could be front packed)

3. Sign Jason Garrison to a $2.5 cap hit or less

4. Resign Aaron Volpatti ($0.61) & Salo ($2mil)

5. Add a rookie (Jensen) to the line up. Balance out the lines & roll 4 lines that can each play responsible & productive mins. Let Kesler carry a line (he is at his best when playing against opposing teams best players).

6. Move Hansen to the Sedin line. He adds speed, net presense and hockey smarts

7. Reunite Burrows & Kesler. They compliment each other quite nicely. Burrows passing ability adds to Keslers game.

8. change the old hockey adage of first line, 2nd line e.t.c. Simply roll 4 lines and play the most productive line. Creating internal competition.

A line up combo is as follows:

Forward group

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Hansen

David Booth - Zack Parise - Jensen

Chris Higgins - Kesler - Burrows

Volpatti - Lappy - Kassian

Dale weise

Defensive Group

Dion - Salo

Edler - Garrison

Hamhius - Bieksa

Gragnani - Alberts

Goalie

Corey

J.S Giguere ($0.5)

What do i mean? well do we have a cup? NO!

Boston was just as beat up as we were! The difference was and it was obvious they WILLED them selves to win, Van rolled over and died!

As far as this year I don't even know what to call it, it was just painful!

You don't think that any of the other teams are banged up, come on man! The will to win is what drives those other teams, I am not sure any more what is driving this team because it sure isn't A WILL TO WIN!

Great post.

IMO we need:

1) a LARGE hitter/shooter with the Sedins

2) a playmaker for the 2nd line

3) a good punishing top 4 D-man

We have enough depth to pick and choose for our 3rd and 4th lines

In goal we should be ok which ever way it goes

Thoughts?

Wow great post good thoughts overall. The follow comments are carrying the rap though. The totality of Harry and nucksfans comments bring thought to the post. Valid points both of them. Try to remember though that too much change is not good and that to play hockey in the NHL is a huge accomplishment. It took a ton of personal sacrifice and work ethic to get there. I think the club is feeling through how to create a "dynasty" type team in a CBA/FA world. Long term success takes time and experimentation. We are only a few years in and need to respect what everyone is trying to accomplish. Time will tell, instant gratification does not work when thinking long term success.

NUFF SAID

Your right, I could have been a little more specific with my statements, you do have great points, I am a die hard Canucks fan have been for 22 years, have seen a lot of good and bad Nucks teams, this one is by far the best I have i my 22 years or cheering for Van! just wish they could find that extra gear thats all i am trying to say! B)

Next years line up.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Kassian - Kesler - Malone or Purcell

Higgens - Lapierre - Hansen

Asham - Konopka - Volpatti

Bieksa - Hamhuis

Weber - Hedman

Tanev - Shultz

How it happens

- Edler, Booth and a 1st rounder for Weber

- Lu and Ballard for Hedman and Malone (for salary) or Purcell

- Sign Justin Shultz

- Raymond and Malholtra let go

- Sign Asham and Konopka for the 4th line

Hedman is a non-starter in any Luongo deal. Hedman is a non-starter in any Schneider deal as well. Yzerman is incredibly high on Hedman. He will be with the Lightning for years, and years to come. Then you want to throw in Purcell or Malone? We might get Malone and Detroit's first out of Tampa but not Malone and Hedman. Purcell is also a non-starter. He, Stamkos and St. Louis form the top line.

Your right, I could have been a little more specific with my statements, you do have great points, I am a die hard Canucks fan have been for 22 years, have seen a lot of good and bad Nucks teams, this one is by far the best I have i my 22 years or cheering for Van! just wish they could find that extra gear thats all i am trying to say! B)

There's no way that Tampa is parting with the 10th overall pick for anyone but Schneider.  Add Purcell on top of that, a 60+ point guy who thrived playing with Stamkos, and you have a deal that just doesn't make sense.  The market for Luongo will be good, but not that good.  Tampa needs that 10th overall pick to draft a D-man.  Purcell + 10th overall pick for Luongo won't happen in a million years.  Steve Yzerman's head would roll if that deal went down.

Nice post. I agree that some of our forward group under performed. Booth and Kesler just don't mesh as both are shoot first players and should be on separate lines. I believe the following changes will improve our depth immensely:

1. Package Luongo & Raymond & a pick  to Toronto for Dion Phaneuf & TO's 1st round pick

5. Add a rookie (Jensen) to the line up. Balance out the lines & roll 4 lines that can each play responsible & productive mins. Let Kesler carry a line (he is at his best when playing against opposing teams best players).

7. Reunite Burrows & Kesler. They compliment each other quite nicely. Burrows passing ability adds to Keslers game.

8. change the old hockey adage of first line, 2nd line e.t.c. Simply roll 4 lines and play the most productive line. Creating internal competition.

Forward group

Dale weise

Defensive Group

Dion - Salo

Edler - Garrison

Hamhius - Bieksa

Gragnani - Alberts

Goalie

Corey

J.S Giguere ($0.5)

1. Package Luongo & Raymond & a pick to Toronto for Dion Phaneuf & TO's 1st round pick

Forward group

Dale weise

Defensive Group

Dion - Salo

Edler - Garrison

Hamhius - Bieksa

Gragnani - Alberts