The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Larry Robinson Open To Returning To Montreal In Some Capacity

As the Devils' coach when they won the Stanley Cup in 2000 and reached the Finals in 2001, he would be a tremendous addition to the Habs organization if they hired him as their new coach.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=395540

Agent: Robinson would be open to return to Montreal

TSN.ca Staff

5/10/2012 9:43:07 AM

As the New Jersey Devils are preparing for the Eastern Conference Final, assistant coach Larry Robinson may have his eye on something further down the line.

Robinson's agent Don Cape told La Presse on Wednesday that the former Canadiens defenceman is open to a possible return to Montreal in some capacity and would be ready to listen to an offer.

"If there's interest on the part of the Canadiens, we will certainly listen," Cape told Richard Labbe of La Presse. "We've offered our services to the Canadiens in the past and they said no each time. I think that Larry would be very interested."

Robinson, who played 17 seasons with the Canadiens and whose No. 19 was retired by the club, is under contract to the Devils until July 1. If interested, the Canadiens would need to ask permission to contact Robinson at least until after the end of the Devils' season.

"It's the first time that I've heard talk about this story, for Larry," Devils GM Lou Lamoriello told reporters on Wednesday "He's still under contract with us and I won't in such speculation now."

Robinson led the Devils to their second Stanley Cup championship as head coach in 2000 and also took them to the Stanley Cup Final the following season. He was also an assistant under Jacques Lemaire when the Devils won the Cup in 1995 before joining the Los Angeles Kings as head coach.

What's the deal? Are Robinson and Gainey shifting each other off? :)

I highly doubt Robinson wants to be a head coach. He quit the Devils coaching job because he couldn't handle the stress. He even tried to come back after that and could not. Could never understand that after the number of CUP games he played in.

Archived