The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) More Shutdown Defencemen?

Besides what everyones saying we need this off season wether its size,a person to help Kesler,Suter,Weber etc. There is one thing that I think we need. More Shutdown defencemen. Sure we have Hamhuis and Bieksa in that role but we should atleast costumize our 3rd pairing so we have another shutdown line . If Hamhuis gets injured in the playoffs like he did in the finals we're screwed. You need shutdown defencemen to be able to win tough games. My question is who would you pursue of the following shutdown defencemen:

Dan Girardi

Rob Scuderi

Mark Giordano

Hal Gill

Anton Volchenkov

Robyn Regehr

Zybenek Michalek

Doug Murray

Brent Seabrook

Chara

Bryan Allen

Suter

Weber

I personally would target: Allen,Volchenkov,Girardi,Gill,Regehr . The rest like Seabrook and Chara seem unlikely.If theres anyone else you think should be in there or i made a mistake on one of them let me know below.

Untouchable Tradeable:

Hamhuis Ballard

Edler Alberts

Tanev

Bieksa

Hamhuis and Edler are the least likely to get moved . Alberts can be traded for some low picks and Ballard could get as high as a second if a team thinks they can turn him around

Part with Edler and a draft pick to land a passing winger like Sharp

Then acquire a veteran d-man or two through free-agency

Trade Luongo to Tampa Bay for their 10th overall pick and any other players included would be a bonus.

Use the 10th overall pick to draft Griffin Reinhart if he isn't already selected

Here's an analysis I took from Mynhldraft.com:

Pro scouts are salivating at the thought of having Griffin on their blueline some day, as big mobile defenseman are highly sought after in today's NHL. Reinhart likes to think that he could be the next Shea Weber, and at this rate there is certainly a possibility that he could be just that. Being from the Vancouver area, it's not surprising to hear that Griffin is also a big Vancouver Canucks fan.

With Reinhart and other's fighting to make the team, our line-up including the trades could look like this.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Sharp

Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen (Assuming Schroeder is ready for the NHL)

Bitz-Lapierre-Kassian

Bieksa-Hamhuis

Reinhart-Kubina

Tanev-Salo

Schneider

Lack

Archived