The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Was The Canucks Worst Trade Ever

TACIC

The worst moves in Canucks history weren't trades - they were bringing in Mike Keenan and signing Messier as a free agent - that combined with taking the "C" away from Trevor Linden were the worst decisions in franchise history.

People are saying the Linden trade because that was the one that broke all of our hearts and forced boys to become men. It was the one that taught all of us that life was a harsh and cruel mistress.

Even though it was a tough pill to swallow, that trade built the core of the Canucks for the past 10+ years. Bertuzzi was a huge part of the team during the WCE era and he was a part of the Luongo trade. Getting McCabe led to the acquisition of the Sedins.

Right now, Cam Neely is number one but depending on how good Hodgson becomes, that trade could become the worst.

The worst trade ever by far was Rick Vaive (future hard-nosed 50 goal scorer) and Bill Derlago (future 40 goal scorer) to Toronto for Tiger (300+ penalty minutes a year and never won a fight except against his five year old kids younger friend, Billy) Williams and Jerry (Who?) Butler. Both Vaive and Derlago were in their early 20's and Williams was a broken down relic. Butler was even worse - he had never been anything before he became a relic. Williams idea of a skilled goal was to slide the puck at the goalie, then fall down and crash the goalie into the net. Williams was a a80 pound embarrassent of a fighter - his only claim to fame was that their was no bone nor cartilege left in his nose to break. One scribe described him as having a nose so flat he could bite a wall.

I agree completely. Emerson Etem seems good, but let's not underestimate how good Kuznetsov could be, who was drafted at 26 by Washington. He seems as good as Nail Yakupov who is projected to go #1 overall at this year's draft. If he was playing in North America he would have been top 5 for sure. A steal at 26 anyways. But Gillis failed to take advantage.

Hodgson trade could work out slightly better, depending on how Kassian turns out. And to do it when your #2 centre is labouring after significant hip surgery? Not very smart to say the least.I don't have a heck of a lot of confidence in Gillis at this point.

If I were the owner I would not have offered Gillis an extension based on those two trades alone that could significantly cripple the franchise going forward.

Personally I am worried about the state of the franchise with Gillis in charge. Highly overrated.

#1..Neely trade..nuff said

#2..Derlago and Vaive for Williams....Even though the Leafs continued their futility with their team in the 80's.It would have been interesting to see how these players could have evolved with Smyl, Gradin etc.. back in the day..had there been patience....In hindsight,the Canucks had some really tremendous young talent.. which was sadly mismanaged.

#3..Umberger for Rucinsky....A stupid deal, made out of spite, by Burke.

BTW...There should be a thread talking about the best trades in Canuck history,there's been some good ones.

The worst trade ever by far was Rick Vaive (future hard-nosed 50 goal scorer) and Bill Derlago (future 40 goal scorer) to Toronto for Tiger (300+ penalty minutes a year and never won a fight except against his five year old kids younger friend, Billy) Williams and Jerry (Who?) Butler.  Both Vaive and Derlago were in their early 20's and Williams was a broken down relic.  Butler was even worse - he had never been anything before he became a relic.  Williams idea of a skilled goal was to slide the puck at the goalie, then fall down and crash the goalie into the net.  Williams was a a80 pound embarrassent of a fighter - his only claim to fame was that their was no bone nor cartilege left in his nose to break.  One scribe described him as having a nose so flat he could bite a wall.

Not a trade but even worse in my books, the giving up on an signed player. When Canucks brought over Larionov and Krutov and let Krutov go becuase he showed up over weight.

We had one of the best players to ever put skate of foot brought him to a new country with overwhelming freedoms and didn't see there was enough of an asset there to help transition him. I know it was a different time with different views, but had they worked with him they could have changed the course of the franchise.

You cherry pick Neely which was the worst by far and then go back only the Gillis years for the rest of your so called bad trades. You cant evaluate Hodgson-Kassian for at least 3 years. Guys like you amaze me you throw Kassian under the buss after a handfull of games. What happens if Hodgson turs into a bust in Buffalo i would love to hear the exuses.

Archived