The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Agent: Semin Not Returning To Capitals

I for one would love to see a real game breaker added to our lineup. He's not gonna be the go-to guy on the Canucks, he'll be a complementary player a la Kovalchuk in NJ. I think in situations like that, highly talented game breakers do very well. For those that think adding a potential 40+ goal and 75+ point scorer to our lineup would make our team worse is out of their mind. Face the facts, the addition of Semin to the Canucks would make our team better, simple as that. Acquiring him is a different issue altogether tho.

Guest Dasein

I for one would love to see a real game breaker added to our lineup. He's not gonna be the go-to guy on the Canucks, he'll be a complementary player a la Kovalchuk in NJ. I think in situations like that, highly talented game breakers do very well. For those that think adding a potential 40+ goal and 75+ point scorer to our lineup would make our team worse is out of their mind. Face the facts, the addition of Semin to the Canucks would make our team better, simple as that. Acquiring him is a different issue altogether tho.

Semin wouldn't be playing with the Sedins, that'd be the softest line in the league. I love the Twins, but the physical game isn't their game and nor should it be. Adding Semin to that line would harm this team because he just wouldn't be able to play on the Sedin line. Booth and Burrows can play because they provide some sandpaper, but Semin is just hopeless with that. Higgins and Hansen aren't' top 6 material they provide some auxiliary offence in the bottom six. Same with Lapierre, people need to stop making it complicated with those guys. Malhotra isn't going to be the same his eyesight has clearly been permanently hampered. We shouldn't be acquiring Semin because he doesn't give us any versatility. The only line he's capable of playing on with this team is the 2nd line. Booth, Kesler, Burrows, Higgins, Hansen, Lapierre are pretty much interchangeable parts which is what you need for a Stanley Cup Contender.

He was one of the best players in the playoffs during the Capitals run - outplayed every single Canuck this year by far, so no one should be ragging on him for "not playing with heart" or "showing up when it matters".

I think Semin is exactly the skilled type of player the Canucks miss when they traded Samuelsson and demoted Raymond in favour for Higgins and Booth. Now our top-6 has 4 powerforwards and 2 skilled players, which is not the right mix. Our 2nd line struggled because of its lack of versatility (having 3 powerforwards play straight-line-hockey clearly doesn't work).

That line desperately needs some agility, skill and passing ability which is what Semin brings. Meanwhile, his rediculously good shot would be the most dangerous part of our powerplay if he was set up by the twins.

He'd probably earn 5 million anywhere and rightfully so (Kesler earns 5 million - Semin is far better offensively but Kes' defence and PK evens it up), but for the Canucks he'd be a great fit at 4.5ish. Problem is defence is much more of a priority than scoring.

Archived