The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

7-Eleven Unveils Low-Calorie Slurpee

Slurpee Lite: 7-Eleven Debuts Low-Calorie Slurpee Nationally:

7-Eleven is debuting nationally a low-calorie version of its signature offering: the Slurpee. USA Today reports that the drink will be made with Splenda instead of sugar. The 7-Eleven website claims that the drink boasts 50% fewer calories but the same taste. In fact, the website advertises that the drink is "Clearly made with magic!" The company hopes to target females in their 20s with the tagline of "All flavor. No sugar."

7-Eleven will be releasing new flavors of the low-calorie Slurpee throughout the year. The first to come out is the Fanta sugar-free mango. Strawberry-banana follows in July and cherry-limeade in August.

In honor of the new drink, 7-Eleven will be offering free slurpees on May 23 from 11am - 7pm.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/14/slurpee-lite-7-eleven_n_1514474.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

There's nothing wrong with Splenda unless you're consuming it straight from the packet. When mixed into other foods, it becomes an effective sweetener.

Several soft drink companies have switched to using Splenda in their diet products. It provides a more natural flavor than the beverages they produced with aspartame. Schweppes, for example, uses Splenda.

I do not approve! A life long slurpy lover, and to see this, only one word comes to mind: Disgrace! Behead this new flavour immediately, it does not belong in the slurpy phylum. Slurpy's are made to give you a break / its a cool snack, and even though some of us eat healthy (Me too) and it seems like a good idea, you just can't mess with the original. Its like getting the original Power Rangers show and changing it up - oh wait, :P

I was referring to its flavor, as GoaltenderInterference expressed it "tastes disgusting". In terms of the human perception of sweetness as a taste sensation, it is very similar to sugar. I am aware of the side effects concerns; I believe moderation is key. Healthy individuals should still try to rely on natural sweeteners when they can.

Of course, 7-Eleven developing a diet Slurpee is no different from soft drink companies developing diet soda. This is a good alternative for those who choose to consume diet products.

I just think it is pretencious to choose DIET coke over regular coke. The difference between the two when you don't exercise is hardly negligible, even in large amounts.

http://www.womentowo...ht/splenda.aspx

It is said to be similar to pesticide in molecular structure, but there is no proof so far that it is harmful in the long run. Yet short-term studies show some deformities for some organs on RATS, an organism whose DNA is extremely similar to us.

I wouldn't say there is "nothing wrong with Splenda". Splenda sure isn't natural.

There's nothing wrong with Splenda's flavor or texture unless you're consuming it straight from the packet. It is highly-soluble and dissolves quickly in liquid, as sugar would. When mixed into other foods, it becomes an effective sweetener. It provides a more natural flavor than the beverages they produced with aspartame.

Several soft drink companies have switched to using Splenda in their diet products. In fact, the Dr Pepper Snapple Group Inc. now uses Splenda. Schweppes, Crush, 7Up, Canada Dry, and other brands now use Splenda in their diet drinks.

I do not approve! A life long slurpy lover, and to see this, only one word comes to mind: Disgrace! Behead this new flavour immediately, it does not belong in the slurpy phylum. Slurpy's are made to give you a break / its a cool snack, and even though some of us eat healthy (Me too) and it seems like a good idea, you just can't mess with the original. Its like getting the original Power Rangers show and changing it up - oh wait, :P

Many people prefer a diet beverage when purchasing fast food. A Big Mac meal, for example, would consist of a 540-calorie hamburger, a 360-calorie box of french fries, and a 220-calorie medium Coca-Cola fountain drink. This is a 1120-calorie meal.

By opting for a Coca-Cola Zero, the meal effectively becomes a 900-calorie meal, and the caloric equivalent of half of a box of french fries is removed.

On a 2000-calorie diet, there is some difference between consuming 1700 calories, and 2000. 220 calories is the equivalent of two pieces of lightly-buttered toast.

Archived