The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is This The Year We Move A Valuable Asset To Recieve A Top 1St Rounder?

Herberts Vasiljevs

Due to Luongo's control of where he goes, our choices are limited. I think his desire is to be close to his family in Florida. For whatever reason, Toronto has been speculated to be another desired destination. Lou's want to be out of Vancouver could be just the beginning of, what could be an interesting offseason for the Canucks.

With the Canucks best interests in mind, I think Toronto is the best trading partner for us. Their 5th over all pick would be an amazing pick up and would open options for MG. They have a couple of roster players that we could use, one of which I would be keenly interested in. I feel there are a couple of options for a deal that could happen.

First Option

To Toronto:

Roberto Luongo

Kevin Connautin

Anton Rodin

Our 1st rnd pick 2012

To Vancouver:

Joffrey Lupul

5th over all pick 2012

I believe this is a fair deal. Roberto Luongo is an elite goaltender. He's not going to go cheaply. They need a clear #1. They also get a young forward that I don't think is going to get a shot here any time soon and a top defensive prospect in Connauton and still get to pick in the first round.

We get a forward who is more of a passer and will feed Kesler as well as a top pick. Nice.

Second Scenario

To Toronto

Roberto Luongo

Vancouver's 1st rnd pick 2012

Vancouver's 2nd rnd pick 2013

To Vancouver:

Clarke MacArthur

Toronto's 5th ovr all pick

Again Toronto gets their #1 goalie. They still pick in the first round and they get a second pick next year.

Although MacArthur is not as desirable as Lupul, he's still a good forward I think would fit well with Kesler and we again get the fifth over all pick. I, personally, would rather get one great prospect than two so so ones. Agai, Toronto needs that #1 goaltender and Lou's not gonna go cheap.

I would like to see Vancouver use the pick to get Griffin Reinhart (if he's still available). A big bruising defenceman with a scoring touch. Sounds good to me. If he goes before Vancouver picks, they go with option B. A deal for Weber's rights.

I think either deal is realistic due to each teams needs.

Yuck. That is way too much to give up for Lupul and a pick: an top goaltender, what's touted as one of our best D prospects, one of our better forward prospects, and our 1st round pick for Lupul (I thought everyone wanted to get tougher?) who has always been a streaky player and their pick? Yikes, we're not a re-building team people. I don't understand everyone's fascination on here with aquiring picks and throwing rookies in the lineup?? We've got a couple years, at least, with this core and some decent prospects coming through.

Philidephia had a good model with Richards. Have a world class prospect ready to replace him (Giroux, or equivilent Schneider), get a youthful physical body in Wayne Simmonds to replace him in the lin up (filling a different hole in a different position) and take a world class prospect in Brayden Schenn so you remain competitive for years. Plus a pick!

Mike Richards would have been 95% as hard to trade with his reputation as locker room trouble balancing Lou's age.Philly made similar deals for Pronger and Forsburg, they were familiar with the cost. Its a historically established value for top players. A similar deal, or close to it, should be possible.

If anything, having Schneider is better than giving up a skater as a star, as only 1 goalie plays at one time. Philly still could use Richards had they not cleared him to make room for Bryzgalov. And Bry'z failure says the goalie is even more important than a skater, reinforcing Lou's value.

Last, back to us. We have stars up front. We need (preferably) that that world class prospect be a Bogosian type player on D. If the prospect was not as strong, the serviceable body could be a big physical right D & that top pick would be great value as an alternate.

Time to improve and reload!

I'd rather try and win a cup with the pieces we have right now (Sedins, Luongo, Hamhuis, Edler, Kesler, Bieksa) than try and get younger and aim to peak in a few years time (Kassian, Tanev, Schneider, Schroeder).

If the Canucks are going to win a cup right now it'll be with our current core, not our future core, so we should try and be complementing them. Getting a future stud defenceman in Murray will not help them now - he will most likely not see much time in the first few seasons of play. Very rarely do young defencemen shine in their first few years.

If anything we should aim to get younger up front. Rookies are leading the way for NYR and NJD right now, which is where we really needed to keep Hodgson.

I knew when I proposed this that it was giving up a lot. But, in my eyes, the short and long term goals have been addressed.

Joffrey Lupul is an effective playmaker. He averaged more than a point a game last year on a crappy team. He's a year older than Kesler and still has a lot of good years left in him. I'm hoping Nicholas Jensen gets a chance next season. I think he' got Calder Trophy potential. Putting him on a line with Kesler and Lupul would, in my mind, be amazing. The kid's produced at every level and it doesn't look to stop.

Getting the 5th over all pick is important as it creates a win win situation.

Rumors have been rampant about Weber wanting out of Nashville. If this is true, Nashville will not let him go cheap. They do not have a first round pick. Talent wise this is a shallow draft; being in the top ten would be important. The fifth over all pick would fill that need. Acquiring Lupul would make Booth expendable. Given the unrest created by Radulov and Kostitsyn and their lack of commitment, an offensive team player would be attractive. If this isn't enough, then I would be perfectly comfortable drafting Griffin Reinhart and see if Weber becomes a UFA next year.

If we are following the Detroit model, then yes. It's a long shot waiting for the 26th pick to develop, so this is the only way to get high draft picks. We need to move pieces that don't quite fit in the line up for fresh talent, that can later be molded into the pieces we need in the future. This is the sustainability that has given Detroit longevity at the top of the standings.

As of right now, our line up looks like this

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - ______

Higgins - _____ - ______

Kassian - Lapierre - Hansen

Edler - _____

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Tanev - ______

Luongo/Schneider

I'd say we trade Luongo, Raymond's rights, Ballard, Sauvé and our 2nd this year to

Columbus (if they're on Luongo's list) for Nash and their first. Then flip Booth, Malhotra, and another prospect or two and a pick to Pittsburgh for Jordan Staal. Sign Parise and Suter is still possible

Sedin - Sedin - Nash <----- Other teams would be thinking, what did we do to get violently assaulted?

Parise - Staal - Kesler <----- It's just not fair

Higgins - Schroeder - Burrows

Kassian - Lapierre - Hansen

Edler - Suter

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Tanev - Connauton

Schneider

Lack

And then I wake up :P

I think it's incredibly unlikely for the same reasons I would be very surprised to see us making a deal for players like Evander Kane, Zach Parise, or Rick Nash. The price is too high, and we quite simply don't need a top 5 pick or any of these particular players (not that people are talking about these players, they're just examples). Sure, if MG can perform some magic and somehow trade spare parts for a superstar, then great... but if we're somehow able to do that, there are probably even better options. We don't need a MAJOR change, and it's likely to do more harm than good.

I still find it hilarious seeing people throwing in Raymond and Ballard as part of any deal they put forth.

Are you really this much of a stickler and a nit-picker for perfection? Unless your stupid, it's painfully obvious what I'm trying to say. Nothing like these nosy literary critics trolling around on CDC. Everybody makes mistakes.

Archived