The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Ovechkin

So with Hunter stepping down, a co-worker and I were discussing who the Cap's might hire next. Since most team jump on the bandwagon of winning systems, we figured that they would continue to pursue a defensive system - which they are already built quite well for. (Brower, Laich, Ward, Chimera, Beagle)

Now the big question arose. What do you do with an offensive player such as Ovechkin in a defensive system? I will admit he has started rounding out his game, however 9,538,462 per year till 2021 is far too much to pay (any player really) a guy for only 20 minutes of ice time.

While that is a large contract to move, I'm sure many teams would be interested. Ovechkin does have a NTC, but starting in 2014 he can list 10 teams that he won't accept a trade to. That leaves 19 available trading partners.

So.. If Washington goes the defence first style, would you entertain the thought of moving Ovie?

What makes it tougher in a way, is his contract isn't even front loaded. He gets $9M per for the next 2 years, then $10M per for the remaining 7 years. When I saw your thread my first thought had been that maybe a team that is on a tough budget might take him to help get to the cap floor but since his cap hit is actually higher than his salary it doesn't help them that way.

They would want someone with a front loaded deal where their salary is far lower than their cap hit.

Ovie sounded ready and committed to play within the tighter, defense-first system implemented by Dale Hunter. With all the talent and compete level in him and the offensive support provided in large part by Nick Backstrom, I don't see why he can't complete the evolution of his game from being a purely offense-oriented scoring dynamo to that of someone who at least tries in his own end like he has, and perhaps even become an effective back-checking force with his speed, if he was willing to commit to that style of play. Heck, he gives his team shot-blocking, plays reduced minutes and he shouldn't ever be neglected when he's on the ice in the attacking zone even with reduced offensive stats; maybe he can model his game after Yzerman, or more similarly to that of Sergei Fedorov? (Doubt he'll win any Selkes at all, but the style of play could be similar again if he's willing to commit to that style of play).

Archived