The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Scotty Bowman On Defensive Style Of Playoff Hockey

The greatest coach of all-time, Scotty Bowman, says that the shot-blocking, slot-clogging style of play that we're seeing this post-season originated from a strategy implemented by Roger Neilson when he was coaching Toronto before he came to the Canucks. He knows where it came from, and how it's meant to be operated, but he believes that it can't be solved.

Full article here

Interesting read.

I liked the part when he said it couldn't be solved, but his team still swept the team that used it against him.

Bowman is a pompous puppet and it's time to start disregarding his statements as they are as out of date as Don Cherry's rants and as bias-free as Bettman's views on the chances of a successful Phoenix Coyotes franchise.

Nobody would give a crap about Bowman if he had stayed in Buffalo or St. Louis for his entire career.

Now that i've ripped the greatest hockey mind ever, it's time to rip the Rangers again. They suck. But because they haven't faced a team that doesn't suck worse in the playoffs so far, their inflated performance gets to become overrated to the point of being 'unstoppable'???

Gimme a freakin' break. And gimme a win by LA. And let's get it over with. Cheers.

TOML

I liked the part when he said it couldn't be solved, but his team still swept the team that used it against him.

Bowman is a pompous puppet and it's time to start disregarding his statements as they are as out of date as Don Cherry's rants and as bias-free as Bettman's views on the chances of a successful Phoenix Coyotes franchise.

Nobody would give a crap about Bowman if he had stayed in Buffalo or St. Louis for his entire career.

Now that i've ripped the greatest hockey mind ever, it's time to rip the Rangers again. They suck. But because they haven't faced a team that doesn't suck worse in the playoffs so far, their inflated performance gets to become overrated to the point of being 'unstoppable'???

Gimme a freakin' break. And gimme a win by LA. And let's get it over with. Cheers.

TOML

Maybe Bowman just is out of ideas. That doesn't mean someone else can't have a crack at it.

I believe a ferocious forecheck with lots of shots on net will break systems like that. You can't block shots forever you'll lose too many players. Crashing the net and causing havoc always messes the other team. But it's harder to put it into practise than it is to plan it.

Dumb and chase your own tail...I mean, dump and chase is a waste of time, and energy for a hockey team. Get lots of shots on net, crash the net, and be patient. And have skilled guys that work for loose pucks, and can carry the puck into the zone. Lots of puck support, and high percentage passes. Don't look for the hail mary's, just lots of short passes and create space.

Just my 2 cents.

Any system can be broken given the right coach and the right players.

And all laughs aside I think it would be a good strategy to have some heavy shots on the blueline blasting the puck at such a rate that blocking the shot becomes extremely...undesirable.

TOML

TOML

All they really need to do is start calling penalties the way they did post lock out. Only in the NHL do you have different officiating standards in the regular season and in the playoffs. You never see the refs calling the games differently in the Superbowl. A pass interference is a pass interference. The playoffs right now are just tough to watch. The league needs to promote a wide open game not the stuff we are seeing now. It's nice to see markets like Phoenix and LA do well because it's good for them, but is it really good for the league when offensive minded teams like Detroit, Vancouver, Chicago and San Jose all out early? It's slowly getting back to the dead puck era with all the obstruction going on out there.

Keep the ice the same size! Think about it, you would have to change the ice in ALL of the rinks across north america to keep high level young players working the same systems needed for the NHL.

Besides this, my co-worker who is from Sweden (and a total hockey nut) told me that they are talking about making the ice smaller for the same reasons we are talking about making it larger. The fact is is that teams will find a way to play defensive hockey, because it works. We need to change things that can't be played around.

We have to do something about the goalie's and thier equiptment!! I always joked that as GM, I would just hire a 850lb slob to don goalie pads and literally fill the entire net by just lying down on the ice for the whole game.... Hey, if no one is going to stop me why not right?

All that being said, I do like the ball hockey idea, though I don't know how effective it would be.

Just no to stopping players from sliding down to block shots, part of what makes playoff hockey great is seeing the sacrifice every player is willing to make to win. With more reasonably sized goalie equiptment, I think we would start seeing more point shots or rebounds beating goalies down low.

Archived