The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver - Tampa Bay

While it's been made abundantly clear that Luongo is most likely going to be traded by the time all is said and done, here's some food for thought. I'm not saying that this is the ONLY solution to our goaltending conundrum but it could certainly benefit the Canucks in both the short, and long-term which is incredibly key for this franchise. Let's get real here, our prospect cupboard is really thin right now. We don't have a lot to build on going forward. The window of opportunity right now really begins and ends with the Sedin twins. There are nice pieces in place like Kassian, Edler, Tanev, Lack and a few others, but still not enough.

Trying not to sound redundant here, but what about trading Cory Schneider to maximize the potential of this franchise both now and in the future. Unfortunately, we aren't going to get a Hedman, or a Connolly or the 10th overall pick in exchange for Luongo. Hedman is pretty much untouchable, unfortunately. So, here's what I propose, and why.

To Vancouver:

Brett Connolly

10th Overall Draft Pick

To Tampa Bay

Cory Schneider

Before people start screaming foul, let me try to explain this. From the Tampa Bay perspective, this makes tons of sense. They get their young, number one goalie to complement players like Stamkos, Hedman and the rest of that young core. From the Vancouver perspective, we get Brett Connolly, who is going to turn into a wonderful player. In my opinion, he is the perfect player to play alongside the Sedin twins. He has the hockey sense to keep up with their game and the skill-set to put up ridiculous totals with them. Simply put, he hasn't really fit in with the Lightning.

Add on top of that the fact that the Lightning get the 10th overall selection and all of a sudden our system has a player like Griffin Reinhart or Cody Ceci lined up to help us within a couple years. How many fans are comfortable going into next season with Roberto Luongo? I know I am. Is Schneider the better goaltender? In all honesty, yeah, he probably is. However, Luongo does have what it takes to bring us a Stanley Cup; he's gotten as close as one can possibly come.

In this situation the Canucks don't lose their first round draft pick and with it, I would select a goaltender like Malcolm Subban or Andrei Vasilevski. Without this deal, that pick would probably be used on a forward or defenseman, and not a goaltender.

As you can see, this deal works for the Canucks both now, and in the future. With young blood in the line-up right away (Connolly) and some great young pieces to come in within a couple years, the Canucks would be built for success.

And that's my first post.

I've been calling for exactly this deal for a while now, and for exactly the reason you've mentioned...that our prospect pool bereft of top quality prospects.

Our team's window of opportunity is tied to the twins, who's contracts expire in a couple of years. Regardless of whether they decide to sign new deals or not, they'll be 34 by then with skills in decline. They may even want to call it a career and head home by then.

Given Mike Gillis's mantra of buiding the team for long term consistency, it's imperative that the prospect pool and next generation of Canucks be developed and eased into the lineup now. Like you, I'd prefer to keep Schneids as our goalie, but I'm convinced that he's the only goalie we have that can bring us the top prospect and pick(s) we need to restock the cupboard.

It might be argued by some folks that what you have suggested would be what the Canucks could get for Luongo. Since Schneider has a "higher" trade value (due to cap hit, age, etc), some would suggest that he should bring back more.

I wouldn't mind seeing a trade of Aulie, Connolly and the TB ist for Schneider and perhaps a d-man prospect or maybe the Canucks 1st round pick.

regards,

G.

Imagine if we landed Connolly and the 10th overall pick, then traded the 10th overall pick along with Ballard and a prospect to Columbus for the 2nd overall pick, then pick Dumba, Yakupov, or Murray. If we could somehow fit these guys into prominent roles we could save on cap space, giving us more options moving forward in terms of free agency or trade.

Daniel ~ Henrik ~ Burrows

Booth ~ Kesler ~ Connolly

Higgins ~ Lapierre ~ Doan

Hansen ~ Malhotra ~ Kassian

Edler ~ Suter

Hamhuis ~ Bieksa

Murray ~ Salo

Luongo.

What would even be more crazy is if we landed Connolly and the 10th, then traded the 10th along with Ballard and Tanev to Columbus for the 2nd overall pick, and then traded the 2nd overall, Edler, and Schroeder to Nashville for Shea Weber.

Brian Burke, where art thou?

I like that deal but think that TB will not part with both 2012 1st round pick and 2010 1st round pick ( Connolly) for Cory. I think moving Connolly and Detroits first would make more sense even though it would be great to have a top 10 pick this year.

Canucks and Lightning are my two teams and I'd make that deal from the Lightning perspective instantly. Connolly has had trouble fitting into the Bolts system; Guy Boucher didn't trust him (similar to the way AV dealt with Hodgson) -- Connolly started to play well to end the season but for the majority of the year he was playing between 6 and 10 minutes a night. He would have been better off in junior than playing that much. Just my two cents!

Imagine if we landed Connolly and the 10th overall pick, then traded the 10th overall pick along with Ballard and a prospect to Columbus for the 2nd overall pick, then pick Dumba, Yakupov, or Murray. If we could somehow fit these guys into prominent roles we could save on cap space, giving us more options moving forward in terms of free agency or trade.

Edler ~ Suter

Hamhuis ~ Bieksa

Murray ~ Salo

Luongo.

Yzerman is really, really high on Aulie. The only reason this deal has a chance of going through is because Tampa stacked up its defense with young players at the deadline. There's no way Yzerman gives up Aulie and a player like Ceci or Reinhart. It's going to be one, or the other. I'd rather take the 10th overall and have some flexibility. Tampa won't give up Connolly and the first for Luongo. Any deal involving Luongo will have real salary coming back this way as well.

Edler ~ Suter

Hamhuis ~ Bieksa

Murray ~ Salo

Luongo.

Imagine if we landed Connolly and the 10th overall pick, then traded the 10th overall pick along with Ballard and a prospect to Columbus for the 2nd overall pick, then pick Dumba, Yakupov, or Murray. If we could somehow fit

these guys into prominent roles we could save on cap space, giving us more options moving forward in terms of free agency or trade.

Edler ~ Suter

Hamhuis ~ Bieksa

Murray ~ Salo

Luongo.

What about Booth, Ballard, and the 10th overall for the 2nd overall? Draft Yakupov

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Yakupov - Kesler - Connolly (imagine that line in

3-4 years?)

Higgins - Schroeder - Doan

Kassian - Lapierre - Hansen

Edler - Suter

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Tanev - Connauton

Schneider

Lack

Now that's what I call a youth movement.

What about Booth, Ballard, and the 10th overall for the 2nd overall? Draft Yakupov

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Yakupov - Kesler - Connolly (imagine that line in

3-4 years?)

Higgins - Schroeder - Doan

Kassian - Lapierre - Hansen

Edler - Suter

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Tanev - Connauton

Schneider

Lack

Now that's what I call a youth movement.

I like that deal but think that TB will not part with both 2012 1st round pick and 2010 1st round pick ( Connolly) for Cory. I think moving Connolly and Detroits first would make more sense even though it would be great to have a top 10 pick this year.

Archived