The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do You Think It Is Harder To Be A Hockey Player Now Than Is Is In The Past?

There is the side that players who have bad games or bad seasons, sometimes it is hard for players to come back, not only hear about it through their coaches and teammates, but the constantly get reminded by the media through questioning. Constant questioning from fans and the media makes the hockey player to believe the hype. I mean what if you were Luongo and you were constantly questioned by the media about every single thing, every save, every goal, what were you thinking before the game, what was on your mind after the game? What do you think about your "good, average, bad" performance tonight? How do you like being a backup? Can you waive your no trade clause? It's almost like everyone is trying to do MG's job for him.

These questions get asked by the media even before the management even comes up with it. Back in the days of Gretzky, Messier, Orr, and Howe, they never had to deal with the fans or the media in such a large scale. It's gotta be hard to play hockey sometimes.

Until the WHA came around most hockey players had to work summer jobs (Think of the players in the CFL who have normal jobs in the offseason).

It's only in the past 20 years that players have been getting a decent wage. Dealing with the media is easy since most of the folks in the media are morons they will not ask tough questions, and if they do you just ignore them.

Yes they make the big money to play well but does that mean they deserve the punishment from the press. The players get the big money but the players also have their own sacrifices the off season training they put in, the injuries they suffer through, the time away from your family. If you really want to talk about making the big money, the big money comes from the owners to build a Stanley Cup winning team not to constantly have to deal with the media. Also last time I checked, no matter how much money people make in this world, they still usually only answer to their own boss and not outsiders. Think about it for yourself a minute. What if you were at work doing your job and you have outsiders nit picking every mood you make. No matter how much you make it's almost not worth it. Don't get me wrong criticism can be deserved but constant badgering. Just as a person I can't imagine that kind of life. It's like the coach has a dog house. The press has a dog house and the fans have a dog house.

i think it takes more of an emotional toll now, for sure. guys need to be careful everything they do/say. in the past it was a lot more of anything goes, particularly off the ice. and if you stunk on the ice you had to answer to your coach and management, but you weren't lambasted and humiliated on TV, radio and internet 24/7

I think the hard times and the easy times have just become more extreme. Nobody has to go home to the Saskatchewan farm in their offseason, but then again nobody back then had to answer questions about shooting a bear with a bow and arrow.

Today's players have much more pressure on them, but they also are provided with the financial support to help deal with it (something players of old did not have).

Players like Messier, Yzerman, Sakic had many huge contracts and he never had to answer to reporters like players have now. What about players like Kassian who barely make the league minimum. Does he deserve it because of the "big bucks" he makes? No, instead he mostly gets tarred and feathered by most of the media only because they like the player whom he was traded for.

Don't understand when people say "oh, give him a break, he's only human" or when people talk about how much hard work it is, they play too much, travel, and have go deal with media.

They play hockey for a living, a sport which they love, and they get paid millions of dollars!

Players like Messier, Yzerman, Sakic had many huge contracts and he never had to answer to reporters like players have now. What about players like Kassian who barely make the league minimum. Does he deserve it because of the "big bucks" he makes? No, instead he mostly gets tarred and feathered by most of the media only because they like the player whom he was traded for.

I think it relates back to conditioning and training etc.

Players used to smoke inbetween periods or took the summer off from hockey.

Today, you have to train hard all summer for training camp. You might take a week or so off but never the whole summer.

Systems and defense are better etc.

A lot has changed.

Ya but salaries are a higher now than in the past. Players used to drink and smoke up before and after games.

There's also the possibility of endorsements for higher profile players now.

A lot more media scrutiny now. To be successful you have to live, dream, and eat hockey.

I don't think it's easy being a hockey player at all these days if you're going to get paid the big bucks, certain responsibilities are a given.

Yes they make the big money to play well but does that mean they deserve the punishment from the press. The players get the big money but the players also have their own sacrifices the off season training they put in, the injuries they suffer through, the time away from your family. If you really want to talk about making the big money, the big money comes from the owners to build a Stanley Cup winning team not to constantly have to deal with the media. Also last time I checked, no matter how much money people make in this world, they still usually only answer to their own boss and not outsiders. Think about it for yourself a minute. What if you were at work doing your job and you have outsiders nit picking every mood you make. No matter how much you make it's almost not worth it. Don't get me wrong criticism can be deserved but constant badgering. Just as a person I can't imagine that kind of life. It's like the coach has a dog house. The press has a dog house and the fans have a dog house.

Until the WHA came around most hockey players had to work summer jobs (Think of the players in the CFL who have normal jobs in the offseason).

It's only in the past 20 years that players have been getting a decent wage. Dealing with the media is easy since most of the folks in the media are morons they will not ask tough questions, and if they do you just ignore them.

I figured the risk of injury, training, travel, practice time would well pay for the outrageous salaries these players get. How well they play of course being the number one reason, so to allow the point that the players should be held accountable for their play on ice. But what about off ice, do players deserve to constantly answer to trade rumors that the reporters heard from someones father's best friend who herd it from his brother-in-law. Do players get 6-7 million dollars to constantly have to answer the question, so what do you think about leaving the team that you have spent your entire NHL career on and get traded for so and so player. Then...no trade happens. As a player that's gotta be one of the toughest things you have to go through and you have to play well at the same time. So when you factor the hours spent on traveling, the injuries, practice, off season training, games, the stress of playing well and deal with reporters at the same time. Any person who has that much dedication doing anything will be making something just as lucrative without having to deal with distractions such as these. Personally I attribute a lot of the Canucks downfall to the reporters and the fans. If you were Luongo and you had the fans boo you every night constantly be reminded of how Schneider had better stats from reporters...wouldn't you be distracted too?

Easier now.

They get paid big bucks, they get the best doctors, best medical equipment, best hockey equipment, best food, best dietitians, best trainers, great hotels, great transportation, can demand a trade any time they want. Loads of free and cheap stuff. They get an easy and or free ride all over the place because of their celebrity status.

Archived