The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pavel Bure Performance In 1994 Playoffs

2gingers1cup

what do you guys think of bure's performance in the 94 playoffs? he had 16 goals and 15 assists for a total of 31 points. he finished second in scoring to brian leetch who went on to win the conn smythe trophy. bure had points in the majority of canucks' games that post season, he scored big goals (game 7 against calgary) and showed up in the final series where he scored 2 goals in game 5 where the canucks were on the brink of elimination.

would you say this is the best performance by any canuck in the history of the franchise? where does it rank all time? would bure have won the conn smythe had the canucks won game 7?

Definitely the best playoff performance by a Canuck forward. And I think it would have been a toss up between him and Maclean for Conn Smythe if we won game 7.

As for the all time best single series performance, I would give that to Kesler for his performance against Nashville.

I agree Mclean wouldve won it if the Canucks won the cup that year...Man, I can still remember the excitment of 94'. Going downtown and high fiving people after we beat Toronto. Then watching Game 7 at the Colliseum, and jumping on the ice after Linden scored the first goal...haha..Then the announcer saying "if you dont get off the ice, we will turn off the tv's and everyone rushed back over the glass...bahahaha. Best Canucks memory ever. Man, I miss being 15 years old

I don't remember Bure here, but from reading his stats and seeing some of his goals. boy he was amazing. And with those stats in the entire cup run, that is for sure I think the best playoff performance by a Canuck of all time

16 playoff goals at the time was NHL record. That's how good he was. You can say he didn't back check much, but this guy was an assasin.

The Big 3 of the Vancouver Canucks were Trevor Linden Pavel Bure and Captain Kirk. Pavel Bure was our offensive Monster Captain Trevor was who he was. The captain the Leader leading the Charge, of course Mclean. If we had the 94 Mclean in the 2011 playoffs, we would have won the cup.

16 playoff goals at the time was NHL record. That's how good he was. You can say he didn't back check much, but this guy was an assasin.

The Big 3 of the Vancouver Canucks were Trevor Linden Pavel Bure and Captain Kirk. Pavel Bure was our offensive Monster Captain Trevor was who he was. The captain the Leader leading the Charge, of course Mclean. If we had the 94 Mclean in the 2011 playoffs, we would have won the cup.

There hasn't been another like him since he retired. Blazing speed, amazing stick handling, complete with a gifted scoring touch.

You look at any other top sniper since his time. When at top speed they push the puck. Bure stick handled at top speed. No one else did that or has done since. Good luck in finding another.

Bure was insane this team hasn't had a player like Bure since he was here, he single handily could take on a whole team, and that's no joke. Yes we had Marcus Naslund, but he didn't compare to what Bure could do, Naslund was more supported by Bertuzzi and Morrison.

Yes you can say the Sedins, but to a point as well, they obviously don't have the blistering speed that Bure had which could bring people literally out of their seats. The Sedins have their own kind of magic though, which is their passing and vision ability, which can bring you out of your seat when they score a goal on a nice play. Although they still don't get you out of your seat when they are passing the puck and not scoring, but you are still saying to yourself these 2 guys are insane, when their trying to generate offense.

Bure was in a different league which made him so dominate, Trevor Linden is still my all time favorite player always will be, but Bure was also my favorite player as well. I even named a cat of mine after him when I was 5, Bure and named the other one Rocket, for Russian Rocket. If only Bure could never get older and just replay every 10 years, play from 20-30 without knee problems and then go back to being 20 and do it all over again lol. Bure was just that good.

I found some good videos here, I have to show the Mother of all Elbows one, from the Dallas series in 94. It is video footage from one of the Don Cherry Rock'em Sock'em videos. Don shows you why Bure delivered that elbow, the Stars were going after Bure all series, and you'll see in the video of that happening just before he skates all the way from one end of the ice to the other, to deliver the elbow. The other two videos are highlights of Bures career and how dominate he really was on the ice. Very good videos highly recommend watching them, if you never had the opportunity to see Bure in his prime and how skilled he really was.

bure in his prime was on a different level all together. they way i looked at it, there was bure, and then there was the rest of the nhl, below him. bure put the canucks on the map in u.s. mainstream media. i remember in the 90s when fox did nhl games and they had all these flashy intros, they made a bure sniper one as part of its regular broadcast, i thought it was cool at the time.

If Cam Neely can make it to the Hall of Fame, Pavel Bure should be in it for sure. He was just too dominate in the 90s not to be... I mean, he's in the top 5 all time goals-per-game for Christ's sake!

I just wish he didn't get hurt... It's sad when great players like him get cut down way too early...

Ive heard a few people compare Keslers play against Nashville to Lindens in 94. I dont believe its even close. What Linden did in 94 game in and game out is something I have seen maybe 3 or 4 hockey players do in 2 decades. I was only 12 at the time, but the way he exerted himself each and every shift, the way he fought for the puck, battled for open ice, the way he withstood crushing hits, and injuries that would keep most players out most games, is something that gives me chills even to this day. That man is a hero to this city and province. I have never seen a player give so much.

As for Bure, he was another kind of amazing that year. He was so dangerous, anytime he touched the puck, you could see the opposing team just go 'oh no.' He sent them into frenzies. I still think Bure couldve won us game 7 single handedly. Ive watched that game a few times and I always find myself saying 'Why wasnt Bure a little bit more selfish with the puck' that night. He couldve exploded on so many occasions.

Mclean was my fave player at the time. One of the best goaltending performances Ive seen by a goalie ever.

I was really sad when he was finally traded.

Very sad they, then he goes plays his first game against the Islanders and scores a similar goal to the one he did agains the Flames in game7

Don Taylor was talking how talented he was, and asked if they think we will ever get a player similar to him, he said he doesn't think so, since then, theres no player similar to pavel Bure, sure Ovechkin scores a lot, but he's a sniper type. anyways, right now, theres a player that has some similarties to Pavel Bure, Nail Yakupov is also a 5'10 exciting to watch Russian player, that is also electrifying player, the only way I can see us getting that pick, is Canucks some how trading one of our goalies for the 2nd pick, and then trading the 2nd pick with someone else for the 1st pick. We will finally have drafted a player similar to Pavel. :)

Canucks lost Game 3 by a score of 1-5. Bure scored the only goal. But was ejected for a high stick in the 1st.

In Game 4. Bure could have scored on this breakaway. Unfortunately missed on the penalty shot. but watch the breakout speed. Watch him still trying to stick handle while sliding on his face.

Bure was amazing.

The rest of the team was amazing too. No one ever questioned the effort. Hockey at it's finest.

Archived