The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Clearing Up Cap Space While Building For 2013 And Youth Wave To Replace The Twins

Here is my proposal to free up cap space, add some youth, and plan for 2013. We need to start thinking about the second wave to follow the Sedins.

Trades

Toronto

Luongo, Raymond for Gardiner, Franson (exchange whatever draft picks to make it work for both sides)

Anaheim

Kesler, Edler for Getzlaf, Smith-Pelly

*Getzalf might not want to resign with Anaheim (if rumours are true), Edler needs to be dumped to accommodate a major UFA signing next summer. Getzlaf adds youth, the size down the middle, and superb play making ability that we need.

Philly

Attempt trading 1st and 2nd at the draft to Philly for Voracek (or Tanev and a 1st if they want a roster player for Voracek and a 3rd/4th). If no deal, sign for 4.5-4.8 million offer sheet which will give up a 1st and a 3rd. If that falls through, attempt to sign Doan, if that doesn't occur we could always settle for someone like Jagr for one season.

UFA

Sign Justin Schultz and if not possible resign Salo for 1 year.

Re-sign Pahlsson for 1 year max (if you want to), Weise, Bitz, Duco, Pinnizotto and whomever else you want for the farm.

Lineup for 2012

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Getzlaf Voracek

Hansen Lapierre Higgins

Smith-Pelly Malhotra Kassian

Weise

Hamhius Bieksa

Gardiner Salo/Tanev

Ballard Franson

Tanev Alberts Gragnani Schultz

Schneider

Lack

Cap 60.7 million

Sign Shea Weber 6.5-7 million

Lineup for 2013

Sedin Sedin Voracek

Booth Getzlaf Kassian

Hansen Centre Jensen

Smith-pelly Centre Winger

*UFAs Burrows, Higgins, Lapierre could all be re-signed depending on how everyone performs.

Hamhius Weber

Gardiner Bieksa

Ballard Franson/Tanev

Why I like this proposal,

1.) It adds youth to the lineup (we need to start thinking about who will replace the Sedins eventually)

2.) It adds significantly more size to the lineup

3.) We land a huge puck distributing centre (a gold medal and stanley cup winner too)

4.) Has equal number of lefty and righty defensemen

5.) Gives up a legitimate force on D in 2013.

6.) During the transition of next season, our defense is similar depending on Gardiner filling some big shoes with the departure of Edler, I feel however that given the opportunity Ballard will rise with more ice-time.

7.) Landing Franson may help us acquire Weber as they are pretty good friends along with Hamhius.

Getzlaf came off a terrible year, if anything I'd ask for Perry, and no way in hell I'd give up both Kesler and Edler to get him.

I also wouldnt trade Luongo as you can get a hell of a lot more if you trade Cory.

Kesler's value being off with surgery is quite low (and his NTC kicks in July 1); I also think you are undervaluing Smith-Pelly as that is a big piece to this trade. Keeping Luongo will make it next to impossible to land Weber where as Cory will free up another 2 million in salary for the next few years.

Perry would be nice, but what this team IMO really needs is size down the middle. Getzlaf is the total package of size, youth, hands and playmaking ability. Coming off a bad season may entice Anaheim to part with him. Perry coming off another great year will not be available as we don't have the assets to acquire him.

Getzlaf came off a terrible year, if anything I'd ask for Perry, and no way in hell I'd give up both Kesler and Edler to get him.

I also wouldnt trade Luongo as you can get a hell of a lot more if you trade Cory.

This

I want to keep Edler. He seems very under appreciated here. He still has loads of potential and will become that top 2 d-man that CDC wants so much within 5 years.

Trading Kesler - used to hate the idea, but it seems he likes acting more than hockey so if the right trade comes along with it (Getzlaf obviously is) I would like it.

Well once again, we don't have the assets to acquire Perry. If Anaheim is going to trade Perry, they will want a top line winger in return, which we don't have. Since Getzalf's stock is slightly declined because of his bad season, Anaheim might actually be willing to part ways, especially if they might not be able to re-sign him. We actually have valuable assets to give Anaheim to acquire their top centre as we have a decent centre to give them in return.

Trades are like the stock market. Lets break it down.

Getzalf had a bad year, his stock took a dip. Do you believe that Getzalf will continue to struggle for the next 5 years? Of course not. Getzalf's value will rise over the next few seasons, to where it was.

Kesler's value was way over valued last off season coming off a crazy season which he will never repeat. After this season his value dropped significantly, with his surgery his value dropped even more. Will it bounce back? It will recover a bit, but he's not an elite centre who makes his wingers better. The NTC kicking in is the reason we need to move him now. In 3-4 years his value won't be much higher than it is right now.

Edler, his value is near the ceiling. Edler isn't going to improve much more, he's in his prime. Hence why he is very attractive to most teams. Since his value isn't going to increase any, he is a sellable commodity. Especially if he is going to be a UFA next season and if we are going to try to sign Weber we won't be able to afford 12 million for Weber and Edler especially with 4.2 million tied up in Ballard. Ballard's contract is likely unmoveable so then Edler has to become disposable to acquire Weber, as Hamhius and Bieksa both have NTCs.

Luongo is a diminishing asset. His value is on the decline, every year that passes he will be worth less. Now is the time to move him.

Schneider's value could remain the same, go down, or go up. Its a pretty safe bet that he likely won't decrease in the next 5 years even though the chance is there. However Schneider's value has the possibility of sky rocketing. If I could buy a stock that likely won't decrease and it will either stay the same or go up, I'm buying that stock. Schneider is the guy to keep.

Gardiner is more attractive than Schenn due to cap reasons for the next few seasons. If Schenn's cap hit was smaller, I'd acquire Schenn over Gardiner and I'd keep Edler. However since Gardiner is a lefty, Edler once again becomes disposable, because Ballard and Hamhius aren't moveable.

Smith-Pelly is a prospect so his value is slightly inflated due to the potential factor. He is pretty much guaranteed to be at least a 3rd line winger with size and some offensive potential. Much like Torres. Will he pan out to be any more productive? Just like Kassian, we'll find out. I do believe however Kassian's potential is higher than Smith-Pelly.

Voracek value is on the rise. His stock will either stay the same or go up. With Philly's cap concerns and the unknowing CBA, he is likely available, offering Tanev and our 26th overall, would be a cheap good fill in for Philly, especially if they end up losing Carle to UFA. Tanev is dispensable and here is why.

Franson is a personal friend of Weber, and righty which we need. Hence why Tanev can become available to acquire Voracek. Tanev's value is higher than it realistically should be, because he is still considered a prospect with potential. However, I feel that his shot and offensive zone play will limit him to 5/6th on the depth chart. Some people think he can be a top 4, which makes his value higher than I think it is. With Weber, Franson, Bieksa, and Schultz, Tanev becomes available for trade.

I want to keep Edler. He seems very under appreciated here. He still has loads of potential and will become that top 2 d-man that CDC wants so much within 5 years.

Trading Kesler - used to hate the idea, but it seems he likes acting more than hockey so if the right trade comes along with it (Getzlaf obviously is) I would like it.

Archived