The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Have Company In Embellishment Accusations

Durl Dixsun

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I remember this movie! It's seriously a bunch of gamesmanship. Like every team doesn't have players that dive and embellish! Phoenix has guys that do it too, I've seen it this very playoffs. Of course Brown has had that reputation for a long time (and deservedly so) even going back to when they were missing the playoffs every season.

Last season it was Trotz who got the ball rolling (and the play he was complaining about wasn't even a dive), and the Sharks that continued it despite having some of the worst dives and embellishments of the playoffs. Then the media took the "Canucks are divers" ball and ran with it. It was stupid. Was there some basis to it? Sure, but not to the exclusion of everything else, not the way it was made to seem.

It's the same deal here. Satisfying as it is to see it happen to somebody else for once, it's still dumb. Like I said, nobody was pitching a fit over Brown's diving when they were missing the playoffs. Canucks had to put up with the same sort of garbage from teams who did it just as much if not more than we did. Diving accusations are the refuge of desperation, I think, but if the narrative ends up catching, it's tough to shake and can be really damaging.

I think this is where replays are really handy. It's pretty easy to find flagrant dives when watching replays. If all flagrant dives earned a player a 1 game suspension or at least a fine, along with the public humiliation that would go along with getting officially singled out for being a diver, diving would leave the game in a flash.

If a 1 game suspension seems like too much, here's the rationale: It brings the game into disrepute. It is disrespects the game, the league, and the refs. It makes it hard for the refs to do their job; thus it brings into question the outcomes of games etc. etc. etc. bla bla bla.

Even a fine, if the money is somewhat significant to players and the embarrassment that would go along with it would do it.

Obviously suspensions would be best as it hurts your team.

I think diving is starting to become a bigger and bigger problem in the NHL. There are a lot of teams and players that do it, and it's an embarrassment to the sport. Kerry Fraser (in his TSN column), came with with a good solution, which is to give out 4 minute penalties for diving. That way if you dive, you can actually put your team at a disadvantage. The NHL also needs to train referees to better recognize diving

Ugh, so everyone is supposed to be happy with a Rangers win, with their crappy style, because LA dives a lot?

I hope all that 'character' and whatever Doughty and Brown blabber on about equates to them simply diving less. Only because a Rangers win would mean that yet another American o4 team gets it's post-cap cup.

Yeah. It's a fix. Either way. Cheers.

TOML

Ugh, so everyone is supposed to be happy with a Rangers win, with their crappy style, because LA dives a lot?

I hope all that 'character' and whatever Doughty and Brown blabber on about equates to them simply diving less. Only because a Rangers win would mean that yet another American o4 team gets it's post-cap cup.

Yeah. It's a fix. Either way. Cheers.

TOML

Every team in the league can be accused of diving, not just the Canucks or LA or Boston.

I think the diving is more a result of the refs not calling it by the book. What was a penalty in the 1st period is not a penalty in the 3rd period so players get frustrated. Some teams (like Boston) get away with almost anything while another team gets a penalty. Just call it by the book and the diving will go down drastically.

And stop these stupid' Eww he sprayed snow in my face....I want a penalty' garbage calls.

Flagrant dives should be reviewable...to get that crap out of hockey...to be enforced by the next stoppage in play or when notified by video review...ie a 2 tier diving call 1) diving as per usual 2) Flagrant dive..which will supercede the initial call (if any)

Archived