The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Would Be Your Offseason "philosophy" On How To Improve The Canucks?

billabong

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In order to fix the team, we need to see what's broken:

Henrik & Daniel, nothing really wrong here, it would be nice to have the coaching staff have the stones to get them to backcheck a little more. They played defensively under Crawford, I don't understand why they get a pass with AV? (Grade B+ would be higher without injuries to Daniel)

Burrows: Went in streaks this last season, played great in WHC compared to the playoffs. Still one of the best bang for the buck players on the team. (Grade B+, Blame Daniel's injury and line shuffling more than anything else?)

Booth: 30 points in 64 games. Streaky player, goes either hot or cold. Didn't seem to do much in the playoffs. A shoot first kind of player. Would be interesting to see teamed with Schroeder to start the season and see if dishing him the puck more makes him better. Not as impressed with his physical play as his reputation stated. Maybe he's more cautious from the concussion? (Grade: [b- ])

Kesler: Injuries, injuries, injuries. Kes, I love the work ethic and that you don't want to let your team down. But if you're hurting, give yourself a rest. The team will figure it out. But if this is a sub-par season I'll deal with it. (Grade B+ ).

Higgins: Curse you infections leave the guy alone! Hopefully he's not a Salo in training and having lousy luck staying healthy. When he is healthy gives 110% every shift. Even when he doesn't score, he's having an impact. One of the best players on the team.

(Grade: A )

Hansen: Break out year for the guy a lot of CDC'ers say has hands of stone. Energizer Bunny of the Canucks. Loves to hit, defensively responsible. Can play anywhere in the lineup. Did have some stretches where he looked a little lost. When he keeps it simple he's an invaluable asset. Speed to burn. If Raymond really wants to play in the NHL watch Hansen and Parise. I'd grade him higher if he was more consistent. (Grade: [b- ])

Raymond: Sigh. He has speed, and.....that's about it. Did the back injury scare him off of going to the dirty areas? A ghost of his 09-10 self. Will he be a 50 point player again? Jury is out on that one. Shies away from the physical stuff, can position himself on the backcheck but gets outmuscled. Current whipping boy for CDC and Canuck fans. I've said put him with the Sedins for the offseason and work on his core. Make him harder to knock down, and use his speed to his advantage. I think he's salvageable, just does he want to work on it, and will the coaching staff help him? Doesn't seem to fit if things don't change. (Grade C factoring in his injury)

Pahlsson: Good rental player. Not sure long term if he wants to stay? Good third liner. Offense is not his forte, but lots of hockey smarts. (Grade B- as not sure if he's staying)

Lapierre: Agitator. Pain in the behind for the opposition. Has skill, but seems not to want to use it. Needs to focus more on improving as a player. Could be the player he was in 08-09 given he has some linemates with some touch around the net. Seems to work great with Burrows. ( Grade C+)

Malhotra: You'd think 18 points and being great on faceoffs would be ok. It would if he was making less money. That damn eye injury! I think Manny is a great teammate, and player, but that injury I think has really screwed him up. -11 yikes! I give him full marks for his effort. But I think that eye injury has killed his career.

Too bad just as he was getting his career back on track as a two-way centre. (Grade C, nothing personal Manny but unless you tighten up defensively you're just too costly to hold on to.)

Defense:

Bieksa: Warrior. Played injured (Again..if you're hurting take some time off!). 44 points and +12, not to shabby. Needs to pick his spots better. Like Kesler needs to keep his emotions in check to be effective. (Grade B+ )

Edler: Middling season, but did great offensively. Needs to pick his spots better. Can be a beast when he plays physical, but seems not want to play that way. Needs to find that balance between defensive and offensive. It would be nice if he used his size more.

(Grade B, showed flashes of greatness though )

Hamhuis: You can make a textbook on the perfect defenseman and he'd match pretty much everything you'd want. 37 points compared to Weber's 49 show's he's not far off being an elite d-man. Easily the Canucks best D-man. Arguably the best d-man we've ever had! +29, 103 hits. Smithers B.C. should be proud of this guy. (Grade A+)

Salo: 69 games (So a victory for a relatively healthy season!) +7, 25 points. He's getting long in the tooth, but still averages 20 minutes a game. Solid Right Handed D-man. Not so physical, but smart with the puck and can still skate. (Grade )

Ballard: Hard to get out of a coaches doghouse. But didn't help his case on the 47 games he did play. I think he's a power play, top 4 guy, but when you don't play, it's hard to get back into the rythum. Leaves fans and coaches wanting more. (Grade C-)

Tanev: Rock solid, but young and learning and will make mistakes. Didn't contribute much offensively, but +10 and over 16 minutes of ice time per game shows we have a budding defensive defenseman here. Willie Mitchell v.2.0? (Grade [b-] )

Goaltending:

Luongo: Another 30+ win season. 5 shutouts. 2.41 GAA, .919 Save %. Seemed at times more calm and collected. Gets dialed in at times when he's unstoppable. Then just gets into a funk and goes elsewhere. Did fine in the playoffs, but was outperformed by his understudy. Torch is being passed? (Grade B-, wish he could get mentally tougher)

Schneider: Schneiderman, Schneiderman, can do things that Luongo can't.... Mr. Cool, never gets rattled. Great fundamentals. Doesn't get beat out of position often. Doesn't let a weak goal or a breakdown get into his head. 1 win 2 losses in the playoffs but a .960 save %! 1.31 GAA?? Wasn't his fault we lost in the playoffs. Regular season 1.96 GAA, and .937 save %? 20 wins?

The understudy is ready for the lead role. (Grade A+)

So we're a little weak on defense, but not as bad as others make out. Our offense seems to be like a Ferrari, when it's going we're unbeatable. But out of tune, the engine sputters and dies and a Ford Pinto could outrun us. Consistency seems to be the big issue.

Hope that helps. I think Gillis has a lot of tough decisions and deals to make.

Firstly I would be looking to acquire fans who appreciate the wonderful goaltending we get night in night out.

secondly I would try getting a top 4 stay at home d-man.

thirdly acquire a top 6 playmaker because we lack the ability to pass the puck on the second line.

Couldn't have said it better myself..... in my dreams without a salary cap. What would we have to give up for these guys? I think too much. Maybe Suter and Ott I could see, but that would be tricky to. Anyway, give more than the want or need, give how as well.

1) move up in the draft by trading luongo.

2) draft either murray, trouba, dumba, forsberg, Girgensons, or Gaunce.

2) Take out the trash (raymond, ballard)

3) Make a blockbuster trade that will surely send a message to the rest of the team by trading kesler. (Yes I know you all love him but its a business, don't get your panties in a wad).

4) Get a Sutter as our coach.

its not out of the question.....

mg has showed serious interest in ryan and ott...but i havent heard any sort of connection between suter and vancouver so dont hold your breath

what it will take...

to ana: booth, edler, 1st pick 2013 (condional pick: if ryan hits 40 goals)

to van: ryan

to dal: schroeder, raymond (RFA rights), 3rd pick 3013

to van: ott

im not too sure dal would like this deal but we dont have much to give after the ryan deal

sedin-sedin-ryan

ott-kesler-burrows....the most hated line in hockey

higgins-pahlsson-hansen

malhotra-lapierre-bitz

the best forward group in the nhl (but no D left!) <------- won't win in playoffs.

Look at the teams still in the dance; all but Jersey have a stud D man who will be a Norris candidate if not now, soon. And even Jersey has stud D prospects.

Then look at our D, particularly right side;

Bieksa- great second pair, and versatile D, but if he's our best right side D?

Salo- great depth defender if he does not retire

Tanev- best fill player imagineable, but really just a fill player. 20 something hits all year?

After that we currently had only Hanson as a natural right wing (besides prospect Kassian), had size mis match & toughness problems up front, and all our playmaking (in Danny & Hank) is stacked on our top line.

Last, our talent depth in prospects needs a boost!

Here are my moves;

1) Lou, our first & Tanev to T.O. for Kadri (replace our center prospect), their first (5th overall) and rights to Cody Franson.

2) Sign Sheldon Souray 2 years $2.4 each.

3) Sign Justin Schultz first choice, Jason Garrison second

4) If not retired, sign Salo $2 mill

D depth, size & prospect talent restocked, no major cap hits.

4) Sign Jason Arnott. Plays shut down center, and physical RW. Fills for Kesler & role player with ring! $2.6 x 1 or $2 x 2 years. Over 500 career assists and 220 lbs to make a stunning 2knd line winger when Kess is back! Kess, Booth & Arnott against any physical match up you could imagine?

5) Sign Bitz.

RW, center, size, toughness and playmaking (Kadri + Arnott) all filled.

Then you can kick the tires on any value achievable for Raymond (unpopular choice, but absolutely qualify him for 3 years at min raise of 10%) & Ballard.

FTR, Kadri is not T.O.'s top prospect & Franson was picked up for a 2knd round pick. They are not key to Toronto but fill valuable depth & key skills for us. The first trade is about the 5th overall pick, a good haul for Lou! Resign Franson $1.8 x 4 years. One of Grigorenko, Dumba or MURRAY should be avaiable? T.O. can pay Lou with cap increase & in reality we have $3 mill extra cap space plus the increase. Oh, I can just taste shopping at the deadline, or trying to steal Jagr (in moves un-accounted for below)!

To start year

Danny Hank Burrows

Booth Arnott Kassian (No size problems here boys!)

Higgins Lapierre Hansen

Raymond Schroeder Bitz Great second defensive stopper line

Manny, Kadri, Volpatti & Pinnizotto???

Kesler

Edler Souray

Hamhuis Bieksa

Ballard Franson (oh dangerous offensively & both 215 lbs, if only one stays at home when the other rushes?)!

Schultz, Salo, Gragnani Salo and Souray could trade ice time and press box days to extend careers).

Then you could really have fun?

Ballard and the 5th pick to Montreal (they do need a left D?) for rights to the 3rd pick. Would love Grigorenko! Well, they need a big center, but :rolleyes: ...

Edler, Jensen and a first for Weber? Nah, we have cap room for next year. -_-

Would look great but to much to give up in picks.... I know you have to give to get but we have to save some to restock after Jensen, Shroeder, Kassian, Corrado move in for the team... also nothing high end on D, we need young D picks. It's hard to draft good D prospects and expect good return within 3 to 4 years period, unless they are a pick within the top 10. We haven't had that and have to wait 5 years or more for them to mature (Sauve, Connaughton). Hard to do when your window is small. You're saying sell the future for the window now... I understand but can't there be a happy medium.... kinda like what Philly's doing?

we are very shallow in the prospect pool but when sedins, ryan, kesler, burrows, hansen, higgins, bieksa, hamhuis, edler and schneider are all between the ages 25-31 you have no room for prospects even if we did have them...and then tanev will grow into the top 4 d-man and so will gragnani in time and kassian is still on the bubble so we arent in trouble because we have such a strong core.

the philly way was so dramatic that you haft to have serious balls to pull that off....it didnt work for them in the end anyways

Guest BuckFoston

wow you have no clue about hockey, Bieksa was our 2nd better defenseman this regular season after hamhuis of coure, Bieksa was a +12, where edler as a at an even 0, this year's playoffs, bieksa was a 0 and edler was -2, don't forget those 2 turnovers in the series edler caused resulting in 2 L.A KINGS wins, so to say bieksa is consistent at giving away the puck is absolutely ridiculous, bieksa is the better d-man in imo, he's a stay home defenseman and doens't make the high risk plays like edler.

and secondly i voted for the team to get younger idiot

Consistent at giving away the puck you mean, because that's all I saw him do this year.

As for the OP, what does being Canadian have to do with anything. If you want a stacked team may as well sign a bunch of Russians.

Archived