The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Would Be Your Offseason "philosophy" On How To Improve The Canucks?

billabong

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest BuckFoston

I voted for more size and toughness but I wanted to vote for being more Canadianized as well. I fail to see how a team full of stacked Russians will do anything for us in the playoffs. A team of stacked Russians will only get us more playoff disappointment. They are famous for choking when it counts and hiding when the chips are down. And I don't want to here any of this BS about the world hockey championships where they dominated teams that were missing most of their top players. And on top of that, when is the last time a Russian goalie has won a Stanley Cup? Give me more Canadians any day.

For a second there I thought you were describing our team.

Don't worry, you won't get any Russians even if you wanted them - they don't like the West Coast. Better yet, when was the last time a Russian goalie lost the Stanley Cup in the finals? I don't even see why we are talking about Russian goalies. And the last one to win a Cup was Bryz as backup for Anaheim.

Enjoy your Canadians while the Cup travels all over North America once again bypassing Vancouver. In fact, maybe the twins could go elsewhere to make room for a Canadian captain.

The Canucks have had a great history with Swedish players....not so much with Eastern Euro's(especially Slovaks..Bulis,Barenek,Nedved..etc)........A captain should be the player,who leads by example,regardless of nationality,

Wow, I didn't think that going to the 7th game of the cup finals last year constituted choking or hiding when the chips were down? Has this team underperformed in the playoffs as a whole, yes, but bringing in a bunch of choking and floating Russians isn't going to change our fortunes.

Good, I hope the Ruskies don't like the west coast, because as I mentioned, having a bunch of choking and floating Russians isn't the way to go. As for a Russian goalie losing the stanley cup, it's hard for them to do that when they're only good enough to be backups....but thanks for proving my point with Bryz. YOU brought up a team full of stacked Russians and last time I checked, a hockey team still needed a goalie.

So, you're saying that Canadians aren't an integral part of winning the cup? Last time I checked, Boston won the cup last year and they had many integral Canadians on the team. As for the Sedins, I would trade them for more Canadians but only if it were for guys of equal or greater value. I'd love and prefer a Canadian captain, but what proud Canadian wouldn't? In saying that, aside from the embarrassing diving that he does, I think that Henrik has done a decent job. Last time I checked, the Nucks were cupless while being a team full of Euros, so we're all watching other teams carrying around the cup anyways.

better coaching

sutter and tippet seems to be getting much more out of their team, with a "lesser" line up.

whether it is AV or the assistants, someone needs to be accountable

good reg seasons dont mean anything except they get into the playoffs.

I think nationality is not the issue, it is the individual player that matters. If you get the right guys then your perception will change accordingly.

1.) If Malkin or Datsyuk wanted to come here you'd say, no?

2.) Last year, the Canucks had five Americans on their team (Alberts, Ballard, Higgins, Kesler and Schneider). Boston had only one American on their team (Thomas).

Maybe we should blame the team's misfortunes on the number of Americans. And who is the most often spoken of as replacement for captain of the Canucks? Kesler, another non-Canadian,,, or is he okay because he's a North American? :)

3.) The year Detroit last won the Cup (2008), they had 14 Europeans, although none were Russians (floating or otherwise). They also managed to overcome having a Swede as their captain (as well as having only one of three alternate captains being a Canadian), They lost the following year with a team which had 15 Europeans to a Pittsburg team which had only 5 Europeans (although 3 of them were Russians, of the non-floating and choking variety).

True, when Boston last won the Cup, they didn't have a lot of Europeans on the team, just half their defence (Chara, Kaberle, Seidenberg), their back-up goalie and Krecji. They also did okay working with the handicap of having a non-Canadian as their team captain (Chara).

4.) Another point of note: Boston only had two alternate captains last year. Vancouver had four. Perhaps the Canucks were top heavy in alternate captains? :P

regards,

G.

Go big or go home!

Sign like 5 free agents! (Mine are Huselius, Parise, Garrison, Allen & Colin Fraser)

And trade for 3 big name players! (I'm hoping for J. Staal, D. Stafford & B. Connolly)

Trade for the big name players without giving up too much of the future.

To find a way to stop getting completely drained physically and emotionally during the regular season and running out of gas for the play-offs. To develop more of a "its all about the play-offs" type of culture in the team, and getting the team more motivated and playing with more urgency during the play-offs. Overachieving during the reg season doesnt necessarily translate into post season success. This post season they looked like they were just going through the motions.

I would add oxygen tanks in our locker room, and bring them on the road too.

Turn up the heat of the visitor's room to make them sleepy... hell, add a little bit of sleepy drugs in the air in there if you can.

Add size and simplify our game plan.

And sign Shea Weber in 2013.

To find a way to stop getting completely drained physically and emotionally during the regular season and running out of gas for the play-offs. To develop more of a "its all about the play-offs" type of culture in the team, and getting the team more motivated and playing with more urgency during the play-offs. Overachieving during the reg season doesnt necessarily translate into post season success. This post season they looked like they were just going through the motions.

bring in a coach who will take a more puck control, offensive approach to our game, utilizing the skillsets that MG has provided him.

AV seems to like to try to pound round pegs into square holes..I want a coach who recognizes his shapes better and crafts the mould accordingly. I have not seen any evidence that AV does anything other than play a safe style, heavy on defense while getting the most out of marginal NHL quality players. If he were to coach a National Team of superstars he would be exposed as a complete waste of time insofar as being able to manage players who are better than good.

Archived