The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Bryan Allen Will Test Free Agency

there are about 8 teams allen would fit well in 1. washinton 2. vancouver 3. winnepeg 4. toronto 5. edmonton 6. anaheim 7. buffalo 8. new jersey

remember this isnt a list of teams he wants to go to its a list of teams that need a D-man like him

All depends on what they want to do, if they're playing with the same systems as the last few seasons Allen's not a good fit... he won't be able to keep up. Big and tough as he is you need to be able to skate if you want to play on the fastest team in the league. He'd be perfect for a team like Boston or LA though.

All depends on what they want to do, if they're playing with the same systems as the last few seasons Allen's not a good fit... he won't be able to keep up. Big and tough as he is you need to be able to skate if you want to play on the fastest team in the league. He'd be perfect for a team like Boston or LA though.

People were calling him a bust because they expected him to be an all star since he was a 4th overall pick. The truth is he came from a very weak draft year, where at the time was the best pick.

It doesn't mean he's not a solid player. I don't think anyone's overrating him, we know exactly what he brings.

As far as free agents go, he will cost less, and is less of a risk than a player like Garrison. This team needs a top 4 defenseman regardless, and thinking that we're going to get Suter or Weber is wishful thinking.

Allen at the right price even for a couple of years would be a good fit for the Canucks. LH defencman but played on the right side with Gleason.

From Canes Country, bloggers from Carolina, their exit review of Allen this year:

Allen was acquired at the 2011 trade deadline from the Florida Panthers in exchange for Sergei Samsonov's expiring contract and he has slowly emerged as one of their better blue-liners since then. He spent most of this season on a defense pairing with Tim Gleason and the two became Carolina's go-to shutdown defense pairing. Allen was brought into be a solid stay-at-home defenseman who could play top-four minutes and he did his job for the most part this season.

The Good: As I mentioned earlier, Allen did a solid job at playing his role as a solid shutdown defenseman. He was regularly matched up with the opposing team's top lines and started almost 60% of his shifts in the defensive zone. The heavy workload didn't seem to put that much of a burden on him, though as he was one of the team's better defensemen at controlling scoring chances at even strength and his 5-on-5 numbers when they are adjusted for his tough zone starts. Allen also logged big minutes on the penalty kill and was not afraid to sacrifice his body when needed as he led the team in blocked shots with 188.

To put things briefly, Allen played a pretty important role on the team and did a solid job at it.

You are underrating Garrison, who is very responsible defensively and can play very well in his own end. When this guy hits free agency, there will be a lot of interest and a ton of possible suitors and that is IF he even hits free agency. He is far superior than a Bryan Allen. Garrison would cost a lot more than Allen but I think he is easily worth every penny, if he ends up in Vancouver you guys will love him.

Trade Bieksa, Ballard, Tanev, and Edler for picks.

Sign Suter, Garrison, Shultz, Allen, and Wideman.

Hamhuis - Suter

Allen - Wideman

Shultz - Garrison

Get'r done MG.

*** Most realistic proposal on this board, by far. ***

well the fact that he rejected carolinas offer can mean 2 things.. 1, hes going to try and cash in on a overpayed ufa contract. or 2, he wants the best chance to win the cup.

if hes lookin to cash in i dont think he will fit gillis plan. if hes looking for a contender we might be able to put a solid offer in as we can probably match the offers of other contenders (except detroit).

id kick the tires and see what its going to take to get him but by no means would i break the bank for him.. if allen wants dollars then id rather try and get garrison under a decent hometown price... i would however way rather have allen, hes the kind of guy that can keep the big boys out of the crease and off schneiderman

At the trade deadline Allen was supposedly willing to waive his NTC to come to Van. I could see him in a Canucks uniform again but not as a top 4 if we want a Cup winning team.

Allen would be a solid 3 rd pairings Dman

Archived