The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian Or Foligno If You Could Do It Over Again?

Italia2006

Hodgson did seem to have a knack for big goals, but then time passed, and it became evident that for every big goal he had, there was long stretches of 5-20 games where he didn't get a goal at all.

The guy had a tremendous showing at the juniors, and he really did stand among some great young players.. but they are all far better than he is now. And honestly, with how big of gaps Hodgson started to go without points.. it was hard to see him having that same potential to do a lot more.

Kassian might not have done as much, but there were games where he took over, and physically did very, very well. So you could see that potential for him to do a lot and be a great player. Where as Hodgson it just.. wasn't there. Maybe it will be one day, but honestly I think he got massively overrated for a few goals against big teams that were starting to struggle. That sexy goal against Boston seemed to make people love him, even when he went 20 games without a goal after that before he got traded.

Totally agree. But Kassian turning this team around by himself at the trade deadline would have been on par with winning the lottery. This team had issues since January, and it wasn't Kassian who was brought here to save the team, he was brought here to add toughness and size. They were only going to go as far as the team which was so good in the first half brought them.

Honestly, the bigger risk would have been waiting to trade Hodgson. More information could have been leaked about Hodgson and his agent etc, that he wasn't fitting in or that MG was trying to trade him. This would make it look as if MG was desperate which would automatically give other teams the upper hand in a trade situation. Also how would other teams knowing his agent was a pain in the a$$ affect his value? These are all things to think about when making a trade. Trading Cody asap without the media or other teams knowing too much was the best outcome, and the lower risk in my opinion.

Totally agree DirtyHarry. The last stanza wasn't directed at you if you thought it was. I was a little unclear. Originally I saw the obvious question of why wasn't he traded during the offseason but as I thought about it the answers made a lot of sense, as you've pointed out.

He was actually pretty consistent in his point production up until the point where he got traded. He had trouble scoring for the first little bit on the Sabres because he was still adjusting to their system and the fact that he had a brutal travel schedule as well (huge road trip in Vancouver followed by huge road trip in Buffalo). He was pretty good offensively for the Sabres near the end of the season.

Not many hockey fans would have mistaken Hodgson for our best prospect.  Schneider was/is our best prospect There are a whole lot of teams in the NHL that would give you a hell of a lot more for Cory Schneider than they would for Hodgson - and beyond those two, Jensen is every bit as valuable a prospect as Hodgson, and Lack, Tanev, Connnauton are no slouches either.

Don't worry about that.

When Hodgson was on the 4th line in his "first season" (8 games? lol.) he sure looked A LOT better and more visible than Kassian.

Kassian was on the 2nd line for 5-10 games this year, playing alongside Kesler and Booth and what happened? he got stapled to the 4th line because he's clearly not ready for the NHL, and he's not showing any indication of being this "great powerforward".

Responsible defensively?

A person who's watched the game for a long time would know he was a liability out there defensively, which was maybe why he was stapled on to the bench. If you analyzed his game properly, you would've seen that he's way too aggressive in his own zone when he's trying to cover the point-men, hence leaving them wide open for easy shots. Not only that, he was chasing the puck like crazy as well.

So , if Kassian is poor defensively, why was he a -1 since the trade and Hodgson a -9 since the trade?

Now you can't track Corsi since the trade, but why is it that Kassian finished the year at 2.68 (would have been 3rd on Buffalo), yet Hodgson finished at -2.06 (16th best on the Canucks).

This tells me one of these players has major deficiencies in his defensive game, and one manages to keep his head above water

So , if Kassian is poor defensively, why was he a -1 since the trade and Hodgson a -9 since the trade?

Now you can't track Corsi since the trade, but why is it that Kassian finished the year at 2.68 (would have been 3rd on Buffalo), yet Hodgson finished at -2.06 (16th best on the Canucks).

This tells me one of these players has major deficiencies in his defensive game, and one manages to keep his head above water

Archived