The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian Or Foligno If You Could Do It Over Again?

Italia2006

Cody Hodgson a proven 40 goal scorer and future 100 point superstar. Our prized 1st round pick for some bum 4th round pick.

That would have gone over so well.

CDC would've fired MG 300 times before the day ended and then started 500 threads about why we didn't get Kassian instead.

I prefer Kassian over Foligno because of the potential Kassian has to develop into a key power forward for the Canucks. I am still trying to understand the reasoning behind this claim that Hodgons is going to be a 'star' in the NHL. Says who? He had one good season with one of the best teams in the NHL. How did he do in Buffalo? Three goals and a couple assists? That's on the second line with plenty of ice time. Clearly this is not evidence that Hodgson is going to be a 'star.'

Pahlson was another mistake by Gillis. He could of had a guy like John Madden for free(as in not having to give up any picks) I'm not blaming the deal for why we lost, I blame him for dumping Hodgson because he got sick of hearing him in his office all the time.

Pahlsson was a mistake?  The guy was an upgrade and played great hockey to end the season here.  Nothing wrong at all with acquiring Pahlsson, who also managed to chip in offensively while playing a shut down role.  Some people are never satisfied, and simply ignore reality regardless of what actually takes place on the ice.

Madden played 31 games this season, had 3 points and was -3; in 7 playoff games he had no points and was -3.

Hodgson was not dumped - he was turned into a player that we need more, a player who is more difficult to come by.  Upgrade.

I think Gillis should of never of made a gamble and hope someone turns out to be a great player and should of gone after a sure thing with in reason.How good would of Richards from LA of looked in a Canucks jersey? It's not like Schenn is that much better than Hodgson. That deal would of been less of a risk don't you think?

The last time I checked a 3rd line player isn't there to score goals but to be a shutdown guy and Madden did just as good if not better of a job for free.Kassian is not difficult to come by because he wasn't even playing for a crappy Sabres team, he was in the minors.Don't fall for the Mike Gillis brain washing.

Have you looked at Richard's contract? It is an albatross - $5.8 million cap hit until 2020!   It is as bad as the Carter contract that LA also took on.   And LA gave up more than Schenn - they also gave up Simmonds (28 goal season in Philly this year) and a second round pick in that deal.  I would much rather have been on the Philly end of that deal, so, no that is not really  a model that Gillis should emulate, unless you recommend giving up Hodgson, a 28 goal scorer and a 2nd round pick for an albatross contract.

Ironic - you have just made an argument for getting rid of Hodgson, who was a misfit as a 3rd line center, and definitely hadn't earned second or first line minutes...

Not to mention the irony that Pahlsson did a great job as a shut down guy, and chipped in offensively - the third line was probably the Canucks best line down the stretch with Pahlsson, HIggins and Hansen, despite tough match ups - what was your complaint about Pahlsson exactly?

Madden signed two months before the trade deadline - there was no free agent John Madden available at the trade deadline - it would have cost a pick or picks to acquire him, and he had a mediocre end to the season anyway... so to argue that he is an upgrade or Gillis should have signed him for free instead is convoluted to say the least.

not to mention the fact that Madden is 39 years old...

Archived