The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian Or Foligno If You Could Do It Over Again?

Italia2006

I already bought his jersey :lol: . Hoping he's going to be a stud for our team. I have alot of faith in the kid as I do in all the young players on our team, and in our system. Lets have faith in the team and hope for the best! Cody's a good player but he's gone. He's not our problem anymore so lets welcome the new guys with some possitivity b/c they need our support, cheers...

So just settle for Kassian? Hodgson is going to be a star in the league and so will Foligno. It blows my mind how we just gave away Hodgson and didn't get the max value for him. Gillis won the fight but lost the war with Hodgson.

Hodgson and Foligno are going to be stars, boohoo, and all our prospects are going to turn out to be busts, boohoo, and the only one we ever had, boohoo, we had to go and trade him, boohoo, because our mean coach wouldn't let the rookie make the coaching decisions, boohooo, and we lost to LA because of that, boohoo, and now we have no chance to win the Cup, boohoo, and no one understands, (except all the other whiners) boohoo, and our dumb owners extended our dumb GMs contract, boohoo, and now our dumb GM is going to extend our dumb coaches contract, boohoo, and all we have to look forward to are 40 more years of boohooing.

(or more seasons with as good a chance as anyone else of winning a Cup)

Hodgson and Foligno are going to be stars, boohoo, and all our prospects are going to turn out to be busts, boohoo, and the only one we ever had, boohoo, we had to go and trade him, boohoo, because our mean coach wouldn't let the rookie make the coaching decisions, boohooo, and we lost to LA because of that, boohoo, and now we have no chance to win the Cup, boohoo, and no one understands, (except all the other whiners) boohoo, and our dumb owners extended our dumb GMs contract, boohoo, and now our dumb GM is going to extend our dumb coaches contract, boohoo, and all we have to look forward to are 40 more years of boohooing.

(or more seasons with as good a chance as anyone else of winning a Cup)

Kassian actually played very well in his short time here this season. He made very good decisions with the puck, he played hard in his own end and was responsible defensively, he chose his spots to be physical but did not run around getting out of position trying to hit people or impress simple fans, he took his cue from his veteran leaders, and he managed to fit into the various roles he was given in a short time as a very young player in a new city and system. People who are complaining that he wasn't visible enough lack vision, plain and simple, and weren't really paying attention - they were too busy wishing for failure so they could cry foul over the intelligent decision to clear out all the growing Hodgson baggage. Kassian was actually quite impressive - anyone would be hard pressed to identify a single mistake the young guy made. On the other hand, if you were watching any of Buffalo's late season games....

Responsible defensively?

A person who's watched the game for a long time would know he was a liability out there defensively, which was maybe why he was stapled on to the bench. If you analyzed his game properly, you would've seen that he's way too aggressive in his own zone when he's trying to cover the point-men, hence leaving them wide open for easy shots. Not only that, he was chasing the puck like crazy as well.

I want Kassian to succeed, and I was stoked after his first 2 games. Then what happened? how come all of a sudden he stopped hitting, stopped being "mean", stopped driving the net, and resorted to bone-head plays which involved making ill-advised passes. Why was he COMPLETELY invisible in the playoffs when he supposedly is this great power-forward in the making?

I look at the rookies of the Flyers and they were not brought in for toughness, yet they had more of a mean-streak and offensive touch than this so called "mean-machine Kassian". I saw Schenn, Coutourier, and Read getting into the faces of Malkin, Crosby, and Neal, yet I look at Kassian and he was no where to be found. If that's not enough, look at Dwight King from LA.

If you're a mean player, its not going to change whether you're in the AHL, NHL, or w/e league in the world. Simply put, that facet of his game is overrated and he's, not that type of player. Like I said before, he was labeled by Buffalo fans as a "Gentle-Giant". He's being compared to the likes of Lucic, but if you think about it, did Lucic change his game when he was a rookie? He hit at every chance he got, and hit hard. I look at Kassian for the 30 somewhat games he played and he maybe threw a few hits in 2 of those games he played?

So just settle for Kassian? Hodgson is going to be a star in the league and so will Foligno. It blows my mind how we just gave away Hodgson and didn't get the max value for him. Gillis won the fight but lost the war with Hodgson.

ATM. Foligno. But making these comparisons is kinda pointless.

Revisit this question in 4 years time to have a better idea.

Different ages. Compare Kassian to Hodgson (2010-2011 edition....where he was struggling, playing 4C)

I didn't like the deal. (Kassian for Hodgson as main pieces is fine, I just felt Buffalo should have added more to get the right value)

I though the timing was odd.

Its clear it wasn't going to workout with our future saviour. So MG got rid of him.

I think Kassian's development is less certain than Hodgson's. But if he does reach his potential,

than he is MORE valuable to us. Top-6, PWF with size? These players are next to impossible to acquire.

MG has wanted this kind of player for a while (Backes offersheet, Steve Bernier experiment)

A potential future line of:

Jensen Schroeder Kassian > Jensen Hodgson Schroeder (for our team's needs)

What has Kassian shown that indicates he will be putting up 60 points in a season? let alone a "physical force"?

The sad thing is people on here were saying "wow he's exactly the type of player the Canucks need for the playoffs!!" yet he was more useless than Tanner Glass.

It's sad when he's labeled as this "rumbling bull" but can't even seem to dish out a hit; he was labeled as the "Gentle Giant" in Buffalo for a reason.

I'll just tell you like I told everyone who was doubting Hodgson. It takes TIME to develop young players.

Scouts and analysts are ALOT smarter than you, and they actually get paid to give their opinions. They've compared him to the likes of Neely and Lucic.

So before you start making knee jerk criticisms of how he plays, you've gotta realize that this kid is 21 years old. He wasn't gonna storm into the league and start hitting and fighting everyone. He's still probably in awe that he's even playing in the NHL, so it will take him time to adjust, just like it took time for Hodgson to adjust, and just like it took time for Grabner to adjust.

In short term we lose, that is obvious. In the long term we could win the trade as Kassian has potential to be a real effective power forward. He could be that physicall, gritty player with good offensive skill that is need on our top 6 and who knows in a few years could be a big help in the playoffs.We won't know how this trade fully works out for at least 2-5 years. Be patient.

You don't know Jack about hockey obviously. Kassian is by far the better potential player. Just because a guy who is better suited to be a bottom 6 player is maturing a little faster is no reason to jump on the bandwagon. You'd look like a moron in 5 years if you traded Kassian for Foligno.

You don't know Jack about hockey obviously. Kassian is by far the better potential player. Just because a guy who is better suited to be a bottom 6 player is maturing a little faster is no reason to jump on the bandwagon. You'd look like a moron in 5 years if you traded Kassian for Foligno.

And you're Einstein. You do realise Foligno's Dad and brother are pretty darn good players. So obviously he has the right jeans. Also Buffalo didn't want to trade Foligno to us and thought Kassian was expendable because of how good Foligno was.

So what does that mean? Foligno could be a consistent 40 point player for the rest of Career. So what happen to Gretzky's little brothers Brent and Keith? Or Paul Kayria little brother Steve? Or Linden's little brother Jamie?Just because their sibling or father had a pretty good Career doesn't mean the other one is going to be just as good because of his last name.

And you're Einstein. You do realise Foligno's Dad and brother are pretty darn good players. So obviously he has the right jeans. Also Buffalo didn't want to trade Foligno to us and thought Kassian was expendable because of how good Foligno was.

Archived