The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Anaheim Signs Goaltender Viktor Fasth

http://ducks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=632295&navid=DL|ANA|home

The Ducks have signed goaltender Viktor Fasth to a one-year contract through the 2012-13 NHL season. Per club policy, no financial terms of the deal were disclosed.

Fasth, 29 (8/8/82), has been named the Swedish Elite League’s Goaltender of the Year (Honken Trophy) in each of the last two seasons, becoming the first goalie to do so since Henrik Lundqvist (Vastra Frolunda, 2002-2005). The 6-0, 192-pound goaltender played the 2011-12 regular season with AIK Stockholm, recording five shutouts with a 2.12 GAA and .931 SV% in 46 games. He ranked third among Swedish Elite League (SEL) goaltenders in SV%, second in shutouts and saves (1,290), and tied for third in wins (19). He led AIK to the semifinals of the SEL playoffs, recording one shutout with a 2.79 GAA and .921 SV% in 12 appearances. He also played in eight games for Team Sweden at the 2012 IIHF World Championship in Helsinki, Finland and Stockholm, Sweden, going 4-2 with a 2.34 goals-against average (GAA) and .902 save percentage (SV%).

A native of Kalix, Sweden, Fasth began his international career at the 2011 World Championship in Slovakia, helping lead his country to the championship game and an eventual silver medal. Along with a 6-1 record, three shutouts and a 1.71 GAA, Fasth led tournament goaltenders with a .946 SV% en route to being named the tournament’s MVP and top goaltender. He made his SEL debut with AIK Stockholm in 2010-11, registering two shutouts, a 2.26 GAA and .924 SV% in 42 games. Fasth, who ranked third among SEL goaltenders in SV% during the regular season, also made his SEL playoff debut in 2011, posting one shutout, a 1.78 GAA and .945 SV%. He was named the SEL Player of the Year (Golden Puck award) in 2010-11 and won his first Honken Trophy as the Goaltender of the Year.

Shortly after agreeing to the deal with Anaheim, Fasth spoke with reporters via conference call from his home in Sweden. The following is a transcript:

On signing a one-year deal

I’m really happy and looking forward to joining the organization. It’s a dream come true for me. I’m really excited.

On choosing the Ducks

The Ducks showed a real big interest. I had the feeling that they wanted to give me this chance and they believe in me. That is very important for me.

On this being the time to come over to the NHL

I’m really glad to have this opportunity to come over to the NHL. It’s always been a big dream for me. It was a tough decision for me last year, but we choose to stay home in Sweden. This year felt great and it was really hard to turn down. Turning it down was never an option.

On how long he had thoughts of playing in the NHL

I have played two years now in the Swedish Elite League. Before that, I was in the second league and third league. It was basically at the end of last season where I started to think about it and think it was a possibility for me. As a kid, I always dreamt about playing in the NHL. It’s the world’s best league. I’m really glad to get this chance.

On talking with other Swedish NHLers about the experience

I I talked to the guys this year during the World Championships and started getting some information on how it is out there. I asked how Anaheim is and I got just got words about it. It made me feel really happy.

You've got to wonder how many games he'll get though. Hiller should be back to his best with a full training camp under his belt, and if he does play to his usual standards, he'd probably play 65-68 games. Not sure I'd be content only getting 14-18 starts if I was Fasth.

Archived