The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Orr...henrik Sedin

bure's triple deke

I move to have a "Ron Francis Award" to the player who amasses the most assists in the regular season. Great read, I also liked the one on Burrows for the 2014 olympics... if NHL players play, that is!

Keep going with this blog, you can bet I'll be back!

so true- if they give an award to the least penalized, they should also give an award to the best playmaker.

seriously, do you really prefer a player who is inconsistent and selfish (like ov), or the injury-prone (sid) over the two very consistent, unselfish, gifted and humble, "lead by example" type of guys (sedins)???

henrik is a cerebral ironman gifted player, and i would never trade the twins for any other player in the NHL.

I like Hank and Dan.......... but please

Gretzky, in his first 8 seasons AVERAGED 190 PTS A YEAR

Only one player EVER had that many in a season and only once(Mario 199)

Thats 1520 points in his first 8 seasons

Hank and Dan have 1465 combined in their careers

And dont get me started on Orr..............

I'm sure if Gretzky had an identical twin of equal talent, who he had the luxury of playing his entire NHL career with, his stats would be unreal.

The Sedins have a unique and rare advantage that makes it unfair to compare them individually to other players. Not everyone gets to play with a carbon copy of themselves that thinks exactly like they do.

Without Daniel, Henriks assist stats would be significantly lower, he would probably be behind Joe Thornton.

I couldn't agree more. The NHL has changed so much since Gretzky's era. Yes, he was an amazing player;  but put him in today's NHL where goalies aren't afraid of the puck. There's no way he would be putting up the same numbers that he was having. Look at his stats nearing the end of his career, where the game was slowly starting to change into the game we see today ( http://www.nhl.com/i...avid=nhl-search ) It really is a shame that no one will be able to beat out the records that were set decades ago.

Guest gumballthechewy

so true- if they give an award to the least penalized, they should also give an award to the best playmaker.

I don't want to be a naysayer regarding Henrik or anything but I think its more telling of how defensive the game has become over the last 3 years.

He is a very good hockey player but I think Gretzky, Crosby, Orr etc were all on a different level.

To be honest Ovie has kind of crashed hard and to me either looks totally disinterested or just had a really off year but he hasn't been as great as he was when he first entered the league and he is playing with some damn good talent around him in washington

I couldn't agree more. The NHL has changed so much since Gretzky's era. Yes, he was an amazing player; but put him in today's NHL where goalies aren't afraid of the puck. There's no way he would be putting up the same numbers that he was having. Look at his stats nearing the end of his career, where the game was slowly starting to change into the game we see today ( http://www.nhl.com/i...avid=nhl-search ) It really is a shame that no one will be able to beat out the records that were set decades ago.

I have no doubt the Gretzky today would put in 60 goals and 90 assists to lead the league by a longshot. The guy was that good he was way beyond everyone else. Take a guy like Steve Yzerman and he would be right in the top five in scoring with all the stars of today.

Archived