The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Orr...henrik Sedin

bure's triple deke

• 2 months later...

He's not quite in the same league as Gretzky but that being said, they played in completely different eras. I honestly don't think Gretzky would have as much success as he did if he played in today's NHL, where there's a lot more closer checking games and strategy as opposed to all-out offence and risk taking every shift.

Henrik is definately the best passer this game has seen for a long while and his skill level is second to none right now. People would argue guys like Crosby, Giroux and Malkin are more skilled than Henrik, but they are nowhere near as consistent as he has been. This coming season I expect Giroux to really give Henrik a run for the "assist title" but he is missing Jagr this time around.

Great article.

Please, get somebody to protect the Sedins,Gillis.

Gift of a lifetime,signed on to play here for much less than they could have gotten anywhere else and you owe them.

Your position of ignorance towards protecting them has gone on long enough.

Great article.

Please, get somebody to protect the Sedins,Gillis.

Gift of a lifetime,signed on to play here for much less than they could have gotten anywhere else and you owe them.

Your position of ignorance towards protecting them has gone on long enough.

The Mikita trophy for the best playmaker has a very nice ring to it. Never thought about it till now but yes, there should be such an award. Not for Hank's sake, but it would have certainly looked great on Thornton as well and anyone capable of putting up elite numbers like that.

I view it as being the following: great = a player who changes how the game is played. Bobby Orr was the guy who put the "rush" into rushing d-men, and the Greatest Hockey Player EVER. Gretzky, well he was GRETZKY!!!

I like Sedin. I think he is a heck of a hockey player, and the Canucks are damn lucky to have him. And I see Henrik as being just a step below these guys, regardless of the era.

regards,

G.

I'm sure if Gretzky had an identical twin of equal talent, who he had the luxury of playing his entire NHL career with, his stats would be unreal.

The Sedins have a unique and rare advantage that makes it unfair to compare them individually to other players. Not everyone gets to play with a carbon copy of themselves that thinks exactly like they do.

Without Daniel, Henriks assist stats would be significantly lower, he would probably be behind Joe Thornton.

I view it as being the following: great = a player who changes how the game is played. Bobby Orr was the guy who put the "rush" into rushing d-men, and the Greatest Hockey Player EVER. Gretzky, well he was GRETZKY!!!

I like Sedin. I think he is a heck of a hockey player, and the Canucks are damn lucky to have him. And I see Henrik as being just a step below these guys, regardless of the era.

regards,

G.

The Sedins have had a pretty big effect on the game. They really popularized a few techniques since they started, because of how good they are at it. The slap pass, the drop pass entry to the zone, the cycle. How many teams/players were doing those consistently before the Sedins showed up and showed how effective they can be if done right?

Who cares? Hank never shoots the puck and come playoff time when teams start scouting how to shut down the twins it's obvious they take away his passing lanes and give him the shot... Which he rarely will take even then. I remember noticing this happening against SJS or Bos and t was painful to watch. In order for hank to truly be an elite player (hart and art Ross aside) he needs to learn when to take his shots. And if he could immensely improve his wrister ala Kesler one of these summers he could establish himself as one of the greats. Assists are great but when the pass first mentality takes away from your teams chances then something's gotta change.

I hate Gretzky but he had a wicked slapper.

He was also a pain and if he did not have such a high level of ice vision would have just been a pest.

Wayne would have been beaten into the ice in this era,either with checks or just being punched in the head.

His on ice persona sucked for a superstar.

Archived