The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What If Burrows Never Scored In Game 7 Ot Vs Chicago 2011?

nuckin_futz

first and foremost, this is a very rare good post on CDC during the offseason. Valid questions you asked. I would think that MOST of the "core" guys would've gotten traded and gillis and AV both would've been fired because losing 3 years in a row to the same team is not acceptable, especially by blowing a 3-0 series lead in the last year. But are we truly a "cup contending" team? yes I really believe so because we have the elite goaltending needed (x2), we have the needed offense led by two of the finest players in the world, and we have good but not great defensive stature. To sum up, if Burrows hadn't scored that goal, HIDE YO WIFE AND HIDE YO KIDS CUZ EVERYONE WOULD GET RUN OUT OF TOWN!

Or are we better than this year's results?

There's also the possibility that had the Hawks scored instead MG may have fired AV and hired a worse coach. Or maybe he deals Kesler and it backfires. Or maybe it goes like I said in my previous post and they wind up winning the cup this year.

Big picture, they did beat the Hawks, and the Preds and the Sharks in a fairly dominant 3 rounds. If they had scraped by with a series of 1 goal and OT games in 7 game series, then barely made the playoffs this year, then I could hear where you are coming from. But they didn't. So I still think they have the majority of the right pieces in place (including the coach) to contend for the Cup again this year.

Yeah, I have thought about this many times. I would think the MG would have made some big acquisitions last summer (July 2011) then just getting guys like Sturm, Mancari... and this years trade deadline.

If it wasn't for Luongo's save earlier it could have all ended. Remember: it was Burrows who took a penalty in OT just before he scored. Had Sharp scored all the blame would go to Burrows.

I don't understand the point of these "what if" type questions. You could just as easily say, what if Toews didn't score that tying SH goal? Then it wouldn't have even got to OT and we would have been denied one of the most exciting moments in Canucks history.

Sports, and in fact history in general has been filled with close calls and pivotal moments that could have easily gone either way. Nowadays, no one can just dominate their way to the Cup, so I would say that most championship teams have had moments where they succeeded only by the skin of their teeth. What if Horton didn't score the game winning goal in Game 7 against Montreal? What if MA Fleury didn't make that spectacular save in the dying moments of Game 7 against the Red Wings? What if Calgary really did score in overtime of game 6 in 2004? What if Lafayette didn't hit the post in 94? I'm just saying, a lot of teams that win the Cup have had moments where they just barely got by. And yes, they could have gone either way, but they didn't, so what's the point of asking? Otherwise you could start doing that for every important 1-goal game in hockey history.

Archived