The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What If Burrows Never Scored In Game 7 Ot Vs Chicago 2011?

nuckin_futz

Lots of "What If" and there will always be a lot of them year after year after year!  

As I digress:  What if we had kept Willie?  OMG, I sure hope he wins the CUP - he deserves it along with his team.  Especially I would want LA to win if they have to play the Rangers.  It would be slap in the face to Messier who deserves it for the joke he was the 3 years he played here.  What a waste of money - have you ever seen a more useless Canuck then him?

We need huge CHANGES;  we need PLAYOFF material PLAYERS here and until we get them, it'll continue to be: "NEXT year we will be BETTER".

WE NEED many more BURROWS.  Guys who play with their hearts and play big! I was at that game where he scored against Chicago and let me tell you we didn't even see the players shaking hands because we were all hugging and screaming until we left the building. We owe Alex a lot. I have more jerseys then I can count! When it comes PLAYOFF time, I always wear my #14 Jersey, and wear it proudly!

What if Vancouver had won the Stanley Cup last year? What if he still let in the same 3 goals, but Vancouver ended up winning the game 4-3 and becoming Stanley Cup Champions? We would NOT have started Schneider for Game 3 of the LA Series.

There wouldn't have been a riot and the team would have been quite different this past year - maybe we would have tried harder to get some new core players like Brown or Carter in LA.

Maybe if pigs had wings they'd fly.

One thing humans tend to do to the underestimate the role of luck in human activity. The Canucks were lucky to get by Chicago. Certainly the 7th game could have gone either way.

I agree with the OP that the fallout would have been a lot different if the Canucks had lost. Frankly, I think the team would have been a better team going into next year if the Canucks had lost. I agree that both AV and Luongo would be gone, and Kesler and Raymond and others would not be so worn down.

One thing humans tend to do to the underestimate the role of luck in human activity. The Canucks were lucky to get by Chicago. Certainly the 7th game could have gone either way.

I agree with the OP that the fallout would have been a lot different if the Canucks had lost. Frankly, I think the team would have been a better team going into next year if the Canucks had lost. I agree that both AV and Luongo would be gone, and Kesler and Raymond and others would not be so worn down.

How come when the Canucks are clearly the better team they only win by 1 goal but Chicago was clearly the better team against the Canucks in game 4 and 5 of that series? Plus when the Hawks lost they hadn't lost by more than two goals that series so they were pretty much in every game during the series.

The thing that concerns me is that the Canucks rarely have games where their dominant effort is matched on the scoreboard. To me a championship team would be able to cream an opponent by 3+ goals a few times during the playoff run, esp in the earlier rounds.

Is it in fact that the talent is really weak or overrated and that the coach is maximizing the talent to "dominate" by 1 goal or is the talent being hindered and should really be vastly outscoring the other team?

To me the coach's job is get the output to match the work ethic and talent of the team relative to the other team. If they can slack off and can beat a weak team in a close game that's great. If they work really hard and can blow a weak team out of the water, that's great too. But if they work hard and stay in a close game how good are they really?

I also have noticed through all of the playoff runs since AV was in charge that only the game against San Jose with the penalty box flasher was there a huge stomping of the other team in the playoffs. That doesn't give me much comfort since the team does work really hard in most games just to stay close and loses almost all of the ones they slack off in.

Yeah, I have thought about this many times. I would think the MG would have made some big acquisitions last summer (July 2011) then just getting guys like Sturm, Mancari... and this years trade deadline.

If it wasn't for Luongo's save earlier it could have all ended. Remember: it was Burrows who took a penalty in OT just before he scored. Had Sharp scored all the blame would go to Burrows.

Archived