The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New Cba

Everyone can just post what they want in the new CBA. Here is a thing I want.

Allowed to trade Cap space.

I know it sounds weird but say if we traded 2M cap space to NY, If the cap went up 6M we would have 68M instead of 70M.

I know what I don't want.

No trading cap space and no penalty free buy out. GM's need to be punished for offering bad contracts, you shouldn't get a get out of free jail card. If you offer them a one time buy out without penalty we will continue to see really bad over paid UFA signings.

Cap space shouldn't be traded as the purpose of the cap is to level off the playing field so every team has equal opportunity.

- To help smaller market teams is the cap floor should be 50% of the cap ceiling ($32.15 million - $64.3 million)

- The salary in long contracts can only be up to 50% higher or lower than the cap hit, but has at least 1/2 the years (one less year if contract has an odd number of years) where the player makes the same amount as his cap hit. For example:

• 7 years @ $49 million ($7.000 cap hit)

1st year: $10.5 million

2nd year: $9 million

3rd year: $7 million

4th year: $7 million

5th year: $7 million

6th year: $5 million

7th year: $3.5 million

- In a buyout situation, the team that is going to buyout the player should be able to choose between 4 options:

• Do as the current CBA has done and pay for 1/3 of the player's salary

• Pay 1/4 and lose a 3rd round pick in the next drafts for the remaining years of the buyout

• Pay 1/5 and lose a 2nd round pick in the next drafts for the remaining years of the buyout

• Do not pay the player's salary at all in the buyout and lose a 1st round pick for the remaining years on the player's contract

- A system (I don't know how or what at this point) should be used when a team signs a UFA. Something like this:

• The new contract should be determined by the player's salary from the previous season

• The new, offered contract by the new team will help determine it

• The performance of the player from the previous season(s) should also be taken into consideration

• The panel shall deem the new contract good or bad and they can alter it but not too much

• This is to prevent things happening in the future like contract waiving or buyouts

THIS IS NOT CBA RELATED, BUT I THOUGHT I MIGHT ADD THIS:

- A player who injures another player should sit for the amount of time the injured player is on the DL, and then serve the suspension after the injured player is healthy again. For example:

• Duncan Keith is suspended for 5 games

• Daniel Sedin was out for 12 games

• Duncan Keith sits for 17 games

- During a player's suspension, that player's team loses the roster spot and the player's amount of salary off the roster during the time of his suspension

THIS IS NOT CBA RELATED, BUT I THOUGHT I MIGHT ADD THIS:

- A player who injures another player should sit for the amount of time the injured player is on the DL, and then serve the suspension after the injured player is healthy again. For example:

• Duncan Keith is suspended for 5 games

• Daniel Sedin was out for 12 games

• Duncan Keith sits for 17 games

- During a player's suspension, that player's team loses the roster spot and the player's amount of salary off the roster during the time of his suspension

I think the only changes should be:

- the league needs to do revenue sharing, since it is obvious that too many teams are in financial trouble

- ease the rules about over 35 contracts

- allow easier recall from the minors for players, there are a lot of guys that get stuck there who are NHLers.. but due to recall waivers no one wants to be stuck with half the cap. I say if you trade for a player with more than XXX NHL games (like the Reinprecht example) you can bring him up a single time without being subject to recall waivers.

- drop the players share to 55%

I don't think they should trade cap space; cash; or forgive bad contracts... that sort of stuff all promotes bad management.

- allow easier recall from the minors for players, there are a lot of guys that get stuck there who are NHLers.. but due to recall waivers no one wants to be stuck with half the cap. I say if you trade for a player with more than XXX NHL games (like the Reinprecht example) you can bring him up a single time without being subject to recall waivers.

Eliminate recall waivers completely. It makes sense that if a team doesn't have a roster spot for a guy, they have to go through waivers to get to the minors, but when a team needs to fill a roster spot, the player shouldn't have to go through waivers to take that spot. If another team really wanted that player, they had their chance to claim him on the way down to the farm.

Also eliminate waivers on guys coming from Europe. There were several cases over the past couple of years where teams signed guys in Europe that then got snagged off waivers (ex - Nabokov). That takes away the incentive to sign anyone from Europe.

Increase the draft age by one year. Very few players make the NHL in their draft year anyways. Give them an extra year to develop before getting drafted. The result should be fewer draft busts.

Start the season a month earlier. Start in early September instead of early October. That way the season can end in May instead of June.

Tie fines to the players salary. The max fine of $2,500 under the current CBA is a joke. Make the max fine equivalent to a game's pay (or even 2 games). That way a one game fine hurts Joe Plumber the same way it hurts Mike Superstar.

Eliminate the averaging of a player's salary for cap purposes. Whatever the guy gets paid that year, that's his cap hit. That would eliminate these ridiculous 8 to 12 year front loaded contracts. It's basically a way to get around having a cap, so that loophole needs to be closed.

Follow through on realignment. Go for the four divisions as previously proposed but allow for crossovers on the final playoff spot. That way it doesn't matter if you are in a division of 7 or a division of 8. I know they called them conferences, but I still think of them as divisions.

Switch back to white at home, dark on the road. OK, not really a CBA thing, but I still liked it better.

Also not really a CBA thing, but you would have to get approval from the NHLPA... decrease the height of goalie pads. Goalies these days have pads that extend far above their knee than safety requires. It makes it too easy to close the 5 hole. Shrink the pads, increase the scoring.

A lower cap floor, as was stated above. I hated seeing Florida overpay for players just to reach it.

A couple of off the wall ideas...

Franchise tags with RFA's - Every year you can apply a Franchise tag to 1 of your RFA's. This would give the player a 1 year contract with a 80% increase in salary. This would only be able to be applied to said player ONCE.

For example - Last year Nashville would apply the "Franchise Tag" to Weber. Seeing as Weber came off a AAV of 4.5 he would receive a new salary of 7.1 (4.5 + 80% or 3.6). This takes him off the market, and Nashville in now free to negotiate an extension on top of it right away.

If applied to Schneider he would receive an new salary of 1.62 for next year. Escaping the fear of an RFA offer sheet.

Recalculated Cap Hits - When a player gets traded, his cap hit is recalculated to the remaining years and salary.

Example - Player A's original contract is 4 years worth 16 million (5, 4, 4, 3) for a cap hit of 4. He plays 2 years of his contract and is moved. His cap would be recalculated for the remaining salary (7) and remaining years (2) for a NEW cap hit of 3.5.

This makes under performing players more attractive to move, but can have the opposite effect.

Example Booth - his original contract was 25.5 over 6 years for 4.25 (3.5, 3.75, 4.5, 4.5, 4.5, 4.75). He was traded just over 2 years into his contract, leaving 4 years and 18.25. This gives him a new cap hit of 4.56.

a bit off the wall, no? :lol: Must be bored....

Id like to see a mandatory three goalie system where you have to play two of your goalies in every game.....swap them at the nearest stopage half way through the second period.

This would acomplish two things. It would give us the upper hand because we have luo and corey. it would end the endless goalie trade threads on this board.

Id like to see a mandatory three goalie system where you have to play two of your goalies in every game.....swap them at the nearest stopage half way through the second period.

This would acomplish two things. It would give us the upper hand because we have luo and corey. it would end the endless goalie trade threads on this board.

Archived