The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Av On The Team 1040

Jimbo572

Respects that the media has a job to do and in his years in Van he has been treated very well by media and fans. Respects that people have opinions about how he does his job

Knows how bad the people want the Cup. He wants one too.

MG likes to look at things scientifically. They're looking at every angle of how to develop players better and how to make the team better

Was under the assumption that Daniel would be ready for the playoffs. Assumes responsibility for not realizing the significance of the injury. At one point they didn't even think he had a concussion.

With 2 games left in the regular season they realized that it was a concussion. Team was caught off guard. Had AV been prepared he would have changed up the lines differently.

Always tries to be open minded and learn about what makes players be the best.

So then the only time a coach can take credit for a players development is when they're rookies? I didn't know a player stopped developing at 26...How would you explain them developing their defensive games, or going from point a game players to 100+ point players?

I guess Babcock shouldn't take any credit for Franzen developing under him since he didn't come until the league until he was 26. He was clearly already developed.

These players would have broken out under any coach right?

Well then lets go back further and give all the credit for a players development to their junior coaches. Cause these are the coaches that prepare them the most. Don't give any credit to NHL coaches if a player is past the age of 25, because theese coaches have no impact on players.

Yea, because they've only experienced failures together right? They've had no success whatsoever in the past 6 years he's been here. They should just forget about the 5 division titles, the two president's trophies, the western conference title, and the one win away from clinching a championship. None of that could motivate them right? Just focus on all the failures they've had, I'm sure that's what they'll do.

My point wasn't regarding all player development but directed at his treatment of "rookies". Shirakov, Kassian, Hodgson and how his style of benching rookies for any slight error or oversight while allowing core players to retain their minutes regardless of how poorly they play, is hard on a young player's ego and confidence.

I just don't see AV as a "teacher"...more of a "I'll thorw you out there and if you swim, great..if you don't, it's back to the kiddy pool for you". To say tay approach is "developing" players, is a stretch. Providing opportunity is only part of developing a player...correcting, encouraging, training and COACHING are also integral to a player's development.

If a player has confidence issues he's not going to make it very far in the NHL. AV gives minutes to his core players because they've earned his trust over the years, and he knows more often then not, they're going to make the right plays.

That's what young players should be motivated by. To get to the point where they can be one of those trusted guys.

The hard reality is, it is sink or swim on this team. We're not a rebuilding team, we're a team that wants to challenge every year. If a rookie can't prove that he's better than the guy ahead of him, he won't get minutes. This is the NHL, the best league in the world. If you wanna play in this league, you better be willing to show you can play.

AV isn't here to coddle players along, that's what the AHL is for. He expects that players that are called up to him are ready for the NHL. And if they're not, then that's the coach on the farm team's failure.

Honestly, none of those players other than Hodgson were actually ready for the NHL. And Hodgson was being brought along just like every other star player has on this team, By earning their way up from the third or fourth line. And if Hodgson can't deal with competition, then get him off the team. He would have develope into a star with this team, but now I see him maxing out as an average second line centre.

If both Lu and Schnides are here next season, that means they are going with Schnides. Because they could easily trade Schnides, and didn't. And Lu will be traded to a team struggling with bad goal tending early in the season.

Kesler's had one, maybe two good series in the 5 years of playoffs and now he's a world beater ? :sadno:

As for Booth, well don't even get me going on him and his contract ! :picard: What kills me is everyone focuses

on the players that were hurt this year in the playoffs (Kesler, Daniel, Bieksa) but what did everyone else do ? ........Edler,Hamhuis,Booth,Higgins,Raymond,Lapierre,Burrows,Hansen,Pahlsson,Salo....etc, etc,etc ?????

But none of those are "rookies" you refer to. 26 is already where many players are at their peak!

Raymond is a poor choice to use in AV"s defense. I can't say he has really developed into anything to be proud of. HIs speed, bad ice vision and ability to fall on a dime are all natural, not learned.

AFter all this time with the core, some of his decisions boggle the mind.

- Maybe Kesler didn't have to sit with his shoulder but playing him 23 minutes a game down the stretch to the playoffs was a bad move. It would have been better if he was at least fresh, even if he was injured.

- Throwing Booth with the Sedins in the last 2 games when they had never played together?!!! WIth a team desparate to score goals, why not try Burrows back there where he had been so effective in the past.

- WHen they first got Kassian, he showed great promise and was a factor physically showing good hands. AV decided,( with a few weeks until the playoffs) he had to re-make Kassian into a defensive machine. NO way was that going to happen and all that happened was the kid lost his confidence and became confused. It ended up with him sitting in the press box while the team playing a big strong team that Kassian was acquired to lay against went with Raymond!!!

I was not a fan of his extension but was comforted by some of what I heard about re-visiting everything and determining what will take the team to the next level. Still no convinced that it won't take a new voice to get the core to to the next level.

The core and AV have been together for 6 years and while that brings comfort, it can also be a reminder of past failures together and make it harder to find that energy to tackle the adversity of the playoffs.

I tend to think going from 75 points to 112 is harder than almost anything in the NHL?

Honestly? Are you ever not puckering up to AV's behind?

He gets credit for the Sedins? Really? The year before he got here was the Sedins breakout year where they both jumped above 70 points. Crawford developed them - AV inherited them when they were on their way up. Hell if he'd gotten here when they started, they probably would have went back home to Sweden...

If he "develops" a young small skilled (not gritty) player into a member of the team, I'll be happy. He has Schroeder looking for a chance, will he get it?

Too much is made of "if Hodgson could not deal" with competition. Maybe he was motivated to be more than a 3rd line center, and bent the GM's (and presumeably the coaches) ear once too often. As an ex-coach, a motivated guy is a good problem.

But in coaching school, (I do have a pretty good certificate :rolleyes: ) they taught us not to coach attitudes, but to coach behaviours! Hey, you could still discipline a disruptive behaviour, its still coaching. But most guys bitch about having to do things like backcheck. No coach in the NHL makes it by focussing on it. Like it or not; they tell you to show up in shape, compete within your role, hold up your end of structure, make plays within established patterns... Nobody cares about some background noise if perform at what your told. By all accounts, Hodgson was doing that.

And he was helping the team!

Kass did not help right away.

Look, I am still a supporter of both MG & AV. They still got Hodgson to perform. Hey, they did make a mistake saying Hodgson was traded for a guy who could help "balance" play-off match ups. A factor we all know was needed. Later on, when Kassian (still a great prospect), turned out not quite as ready as expected... Well a few things I am sure many regret have been said. They have accomplished a vast amount also.

:rolleyes:

But moving forward, one of AV's jobs is to develop Kass now. And MG still has to ensure he has a Power Play QB & more capable size on the blue line! Plus another big forward if Kass does not make the leap... There is still work to do.

:canucks:

If a player has confidence issues he's not going to make it very far in the NHL. AV gives minutes to his core players because they've earned his trust over the years, and he knows more often then not, they're going to make the right plays.

That's what young players should be motivated by. To get to the point where they can be one of those trusted guys.

The hard reality is, it is sink or swim on this team. We're not a rebuilding team, we're a team that wants to challenge every year. If a rookie can't prove that he's better than the guy ahead of him, he won't get minutes. This is the NHL, the best league in the world. If you wanna play in this league, you better be willing to show you can play.

AV isn't here to coddle players along, that's what the AHL is for. He expects that players that are called up to him are ready for the NHL. And if they're not, then that's the coach on the farm team's failure.

Honestly, none of those players other than Hodgson were actually ready for the NHL. And Hodgson was being brought along just like every other star player has on this team, By earning their way up from the third or fourth line. And if Hodgson can't deal with competition, then get him off the team. He would have develope into a star with this team, but now I see him maxing out as an average second line centre.

Too much is made of "if Hodgson could not deal" with competition. Maybe he was motivated to be more than a 3rd line center, and bent the GM's (and presumeably the coaches) ear once too often. As an ex-coach, a motivated guy is a good problem.

But in coaching school, (I do have a pretty good certificate :rolleyes: ) they taught us not to coach attitudes, but to coach behaviours! Hey, you could still discipline a disruptive behaviour, its still coaching. But most guys bitch about having to do things like backcheck. No coach in the NHL makes it by focussing on it. Like it or not; they tell you to show up in shape, compete within your role, hold up your end of structure, make plays within established patterns... Nobody cares about some background noise if perform at what your told. By all accounts, Hodgson was doing that.

And he was helping the team!

Kass did not help right away.

Look, I am still a supporter of both MG & AV. They still got Hodgson to perform. Hey, they did make a mistake saying Hodgson was traded for a guy who could help "balance" play-off match ups. A factor we all know was needed. Later on, when Kassian (still a great prospect), turned out not quite as ready as expected... Well a few things I am sure many regret have been said. They have accomplished a vast amount also.

:rolleyes:

But moving forward, one of AV's jobs is to develop Kass now. And MG still has to ensure he has a Power Play QB & more capable size on the blue line! Plus another big forward if Kass does not make the leap... There is still work to do.

:canucks:

Kassian....good hands? How many did he score? Was he better than the top 6? No

He might turn out to be a good player with some development but right now, he is not ready to take a top 6 role on a contender.

I love how AV slams CBC, did you see his last After Hours. Hahaha

I love how AV defends his players.

I hate how he picks someone to be in his dog house every year. (M.Schneider, Lukowich, Linden, Ballard etc.)

I hate how he gives certain players a free penthouse pass, until they force him to face the facts. (Rome, Raymond)

I hate how some players are allowed the make the same mistakes over and over with no repercussions, and others get benched for the same plays.

Well, you've just proved why he is lacking when it comes developing younger players. If push comes to shove, the vetern will always get the call with AV (even if the current vet is playing lousy), which doesn't allow younger players the chances they need to develop. It's similar to a lot of fringe players. Only some of them get the chance, these are the odds in the NHL, but there are a lot of guys that could be quality 4th liners if given the opportunity. For them it comes to getting a break and being given a chance. Same goes with young players. You can't succeed if you aren't given the opportunity.

I don't think we would have lost much by playing Kassian in the top 6 instead of Raymond. The initial growth period would be quickly repayed as Kassian would not have to be that good to contribute as much as Raymond.

Kassian with respect couldn't lace Raymond's boots.

Now I know that may be hard to accept if you are a biased Raymond "hater"...........but that's the fact.

Seriously? Kassian looked like he never knew what day it was. AV dropped/benched him to protect the kid from the kind of nonsense that gets churned out on here about Raymond, Ballard, Lu on a daily basis...............

Is your memory so short that you have forgotten the stick Hodgson took on here when he first got his chance. If so, go back 2 seasons and look at many of the posts. (You will find quite a few of mine speaking up for him, as I do for Raymond, Ballard, Lu AND Kassian)

AV protected Cody too and he was all the better for it.

You missed the point.

Part of the problem that we have is that many fans on here are so into letting their hands type total rubbish with minimal brain engagement that they seem to miss the the main point in all their bias, disrespect and ignorant postings..............

VANCOUVER CANUCKS ARE AN EXCELLENT TEAM

This is not a half-assed mid table team where any half decent prospect can expect to jump up and down, stamp their feet and get 20 mins a night, in which they can make all their mistakes, do all their learning and then expect to be patted on the back for a "decent effort"

This is a team filled with quality, sure they are 2 or 3 players short of where they need to be in my book but these players are not rookies.

If a player like Kassian or Schroeder or Jensen expect to get more than 5 mins a night they better be better than Hansen, Higgins, Burrows, Lapierre, Kessler, Ebbett or whoever they are wanting to replace.

The bottom line is they need to get this experience, make their mistakes in the AHL and THEN they can expect to get a place but even then, as Hodgson found out, it won't be 15-20 mins a night.

Ironically Hodgson may have had his chance to show he could manage these minutes if he had stayed............and who knows if Kes hadn't come back strong the 2nd line centre position might have been his.............but he/his agent/his dad/his finical adviser made their decision and now they have to live with it.

For what it's worth I never thought Cody had or would ever have the the dynamism to be a top 6 centre for an elite team like the Canucks.

Archived