The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tampa Out Of The Luongo Sweepstakes

This. By saying this, it sounds like he is saying Luongo is not one of the top 5 or 6 goaltenders in the league which is simply not true if you look at his stats over the last few seasons. By pushing Luongo off the "elite goaltender" pedestal he hopes to decrease his market value.

Well if they want us to take Lecavalier, they better sweeten the pot big time. He's 32 years old and is owed 30 million over the next 3 seasons. That's alot of money the Lightning don't have.

Luongo's owed about 20 million over the next 3 seasons, but his abilities match his salary moreso. He also will do alot in the form of merchandising and promotion. Not to mention the playoff revenue he'll help get them by backstopping them into the playoffs.

Luongo

1st round pick

for

Lecavalier

Connolly

1st round pick

I can understand where he's coming from in terms of not wanting to give up assets to get his franchise goaltender, but he said it himself; that goalie isn't there yet.

He's probably throwing these comments out there to make other teams think he's not interested in Lou....that way he can snipe him in private without anyone else bidding against him. MUAHAHHAH.

From Yzerman himself as posted on TSN. I'm on my smart phone so I can't post the link.

I wonder if Lou will expand his list to find a taker? Toronto may be the best option for him and us. Burke likes to trade the future for the now.

Yzerman says he will look to UFA or drafting in order to get a goalie.

The Tampa Bay Lightning will be looking to make an upgrade in goal this summer, but it might not be with Roberto Luongo in their crosshairs.

Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman appeared on a Tampa Bay sports radio station on Thursday morning to discuss the team's offseason and suggested that his search for a No. 1 netminder might not happen through a trade as has been speculated.

"I think everybody's trying to find somebody that's an elite guy," Yzerman told 620 WDAE on Thursday. "I would say there's probably five or six elite goaltenders in the league and then there's a group of good goaltenders, and then there's a group of teams searching for that guy to lock up and not worry about for the present and the future.

"My philosophy is I'm trying to find that Hall of Fame goaltender. But good luck trying to do that, it takes time. We'll find that guy through the draft or unrestricted free agency — that guy isn't there at this time."

Luongo, whose wife's family is from Florida, has long been discussed in trade speculation involving the Lightning since he told reporters at the end of the regular season that he would waive the no-trade clause in his contract if he was asked to.

Luongo, 33, signed a 12-year, $64 million contract extension with the Canucks in 2009.

Dont read into he comments to much, the NHL is a business, hes a smart man hes just posturing.

He's not going to come out and say ' yea i want Luongo, hes are best bet right now' . If Gillis really wants to move Luongo, Stevie Y is better off waiting for Gillis to approach Tampa.

There's alot of great backups in this years UFA crop, but I don't see alot of number 1's.

Players who have been starters or have potential to be a starter:

Huet...

Mason

Vokoun

Gustavsson

Auld

Harding

Raycroft

Emery

Not exactly a spectacular list there Stevie.

Well if they want us to take Lecavalier, they better sweeten the pot big time. He's 32 years old and is owed 30 million over the next 3 seasons. That's alot of money the Lightning don't have.

Luongo's owed about 20 million over the next 3 seasons, but his abilities match his salary moreso. He also will do alot in the form of merchandising and promotion. Not to mention the playoff revenue he'll help get them by backstopping them into the playoffs.

Luongo

1st round pick

for

Lecavalier

Connolly

1st round pick

Tampa was never in the running, they have too many big long contracts already.

Tampa was simply where Luongo wanted to go LOL.

Burke isn't going into next season with Reimer and Vokoun in net, are you kidding me? Lou will be a Leaf.

Archived