The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tampa Out Of The Luongo Sweepstakes

After reading this entire thread, I believe Vancouver fans are suicidal. Trading Luongo. Get real. That HOF goaltender exists and he toils for our Vancouver Canucks and most want him out of town?

You are wishing for death; suicidals.

Yes.

But hey if that's where we're at...

Yes, but Detroit got lucky with Jimmy Howard. Maybe thats what he is referring to. When Howard broke in, everyone thought Detroit was nuts for not getting an established guy. And it has worked out ok, but I dont think he has led them to a cup either?

And waaaaay back when, Montreal rode guys named Dryden and Roy to championships as rookies. Washington almost rode their 3rd string rookie prospect to the ECF. Chicago was good enough they won, even with Niemi.

But is this the right time to play money ball on a goalie in Tampa?

Future hall of famer? Come on! The overating of Schneider continues.

Schneider's a great goaltender, but he's 26 and hasn't even playe a full season. Is he really going to be a multiple Vezina and cup winner in the next 7-8 seasons? It's possible, but not likely.

Folks, the words coming out of Steve Y's mouth say one thing but they mean the complete opposite, Luongo is the goalie he wants and he's trying to minimize what he's going to have to pay to get him. The deal will happen before the entry draft and it will include the 10th overall pick. I think the Canucks will want V.Hedmen as well...

I'd take Lecavalier, I still think he can be a point a game player with a frsh start. I think he just got overshadowed by Stamkos there, and the organization has kind of pushed him aside.

His cap hit is big, but with the cap going up, we can affford another big contract player. It solves our secondary scoring problem, and then we just need a couple additions on D, and we're set.

He's a great playoff performer too.

his point was you were thinking logically, that isnt allowed here.

luongo 2010 : 2nd GAA 4thSV% and people still dont think hes elite. yeah he had a worse year this year but it wasnt a drastic dropoff.

if lui could figure out october his stats would be in the top3 every year.

Lecavalier's NMC and contract make a deal hard from both sides. But dollars aside, Vinny would be a great fit for what we need up front (Size, character, clutch in playoffs...). Kesler could then ease his way back into the line-up, and perhaps play wing during even-strength situations.

But yeah, even then, I'd expect Tampa to have to add a pick or prospect to even it out.

Not saying that would be my first choice of returns, or that it's even likely to happen. However, if we have to take a bad contract back, Vinny wouldn't be a bad consolation prize.

Well if they want us to take Lecavalier, they better sweeten the pot big time. He's 32 years old and is owed 30 million over the next 3 seasons. That's alot of money the Lightning don't have.

Luongo's owed about 20 million over the next 3 seasons, but his abilities match his salary moreso. He also will do alot in the form of merchandising and promotion. Not to mention the playoff revenue he'll help get them by backstopping them into the playoffs.

Luongo

1st round pick

for

Lecavalier

Connolly

1st round pick

Guest Dasein

The more I think about it, the more I think getting Lecavalier isn't as bad of an idea as it may seem (stats are decreasing, but still respectable...and super-long deal like Lui's and cap-hit of $7.7M ><). Financially-aside (I'm sure our the organization is rich enough lol), he'll fit in well as secondary offense, may temporarily complete primary scoring duties, and he is a big player that Gillis wanted to push towards.

My only concern is the dressing room, and it's a concern only b/c I don't know how he is as a person. He is the captain for the TBL, and has donated $3M to an All Children's Hospital (wiki) so I don't think he'll be a dressing-room problem.

Maybe he can also temporarily replace Kesler on the 2nd line C?

Then again, that cap-hit of $7.7M is scary...esp. for the long-term.

Does anyone follow Lecavalier more closely? for e.g., how well does he skate, forecheck, defensive tendencies, etc.

For the people saying Cory could be a bust blah blah. What has he shown to make you guys think hes going to be or has potential to be a bust? Guess you guys know more about him than his own coach and gm and other gms that want him lmao.

This. By saying this, it sounds like he is saying Luongo is not one of the top 5 or 6 goaltenders in the league which is simply not true if you look at his stats over the last few seasons. By pushing Luongo off the "elite goaltender" pedestal he hopes to decrease his market value.

Archived