The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Higgins' Role Next Season

ButterBean

He was on pace for 20+ goals and the Canucks are lacking in any other top-6 forwards. Higgins MUST play with Kesler and Booth, especially with Raymond most likely walking and Kassian not ready for a top role yet. Kesler needs Higgins as well - he was brutal without him, injury or not.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Jensen - Pahlsson - Hansen

Lapierre - Malhotra - Kassian

Bitz

This guy makes an impact on whatever line he plays on. If I were MG I would lock him up now. I'd either like to see him kept on the third line in favour of locking up a top 6 forward or find someone who can fill the hole on the 3rd line and bump him back up to the 2nd line.

The problem right now is we have an abundance of 3rd line forwards, specifically in the center position. Neither Malhotra or Pahlsson can play the wing very well. Nor can either of them play on the 4th line without being a major detraction. I like both of these players but we only need one of them. As it stands now Manny is signed for another season and Pahlsson is a UFA as of July 1st. I think the decision comes down to whether trusting Manny to come back to form is worth giving up a performing Pahlsson to free agency.

I have a feeling MG will sign Pahlsson and make the decision closer to the end of next season. I love Manny but it is so unbelievably frustrating to see him play so poorly all year when we know what he is capable of.

Higgins-Pahlsson/Malhotra-Hansen

Either way this is a dangerous third line with Higgins on the wing.

From what I recall he really doesn't like Center. I agree with whomever suggested Mattias. Some youth with size, speed, and offensive upside.

For those suggesting that we keep the AMEX line together I fell that's a huge mistake. They were stale. That second line needs to be fixed and IMO a legit first liner for the Twins is also in order.

We need to shed our depth, take line-up decisions out of AV's hands, and get more skilled.

Higgins should stay on the third line and be available for second line duty if needed.

No higher than 3rd line.

He was on pace for 20+ goals and the Canucks are lacking in any other top-6 forwards. Higgins MUST play with Kesler and Booth, especially with Raymond most likely walking and Kassian not ready for a top role yet. Kesler needs Higgins as well - he was brutal without him, injury or not.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Jensen - Pahlsson - Hansen

Lapierre - Malhotra - Kassian

Bitz

I would also like to add, the fact that the NHL seems to now favour Goon hockey over skilled hockey, it sure would not hurt to have some guys in the line up that can hit and scrap, want proof of this all you have to do is look at how LA, the Rangers, and Boston, play the game, where are two of those three teams right now?

I'll answer for you, challenging for a CUP! we are on a golf course!

I like the idea of Higgins at centre.

So, until Kesler returns, and assuming there are no additions to the roster that finished 2011-2012, here is the line-up that this arm chair GM/Coach would like to see (and this is knowing full well that the likelihood of this happening is as good as none to nil):

Line 1: Sedin (LW) -- Sedin (LW) -- Burrows (LW) -- 19 minutes per game

Line 2: Booth (LW) -- Higgins © -- Hansen (RW) -- 17 minutes per game

Line 3: Raymond (LW) -- Malhotra © -- Lapierre (RW) -- 14 minutes per game

Line 4: Jensen (LW) -- Schroeder © -- Kassian (RW) -- 10 minutes per game

My rationale for the above line-up:

Line 1: nothing new to add that hasn't already been commented on.

Line 2: Higgins has the ability to play all three forward positions and he plays a good two-way game; Hansen showed enough in past season to warrant a good look on the second line in spite of the long stretch this past season where he went missing in action. This line should provide pretty good speed/forechecking and up to 60 to 70 goals equivalent spread over the entire year.

Line 3: If Malhotra and Raymond comes back to pre-injury form (this is a big IF), then the third line looks pretty good. This could be a pretty good shut-down line with speed (Raymond) and size (Malhotra/Lapierre).

Line 4: Having a "kid-line" that can provide energy and enthusiasm over 8 to 10 minutes per game while gaining valuable NHL experience would be a good asset come playoff time. I'm of the mind that the points in the standings that this fourth line may cost is well worth the experience (and hopefully confidence) they would gain. This is assuming that they don't cost us SO many points that we miss the playoffs.

I also agree with the post that suggested getting a player with Shawn Mattias' attributes (size, youth, versatility). That would add to the line up.

Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen should be our staple 3rd line next season. Higgins seems to be at his best in a checking role.

Higgins can slot into the 2nd line and 2nd PP if need be, but the Canucks should look into finding a more suitable and established top 6 player.

Pahlsson and Ebbett are both UFA's and their contract situation with us is unclear

Bitz isn't a natural center he is a natural right winger.

The only time he played center was Game 1 of the playoffs this year. Manny took the draw, moved to wing, Bitz down the middle and Kassian on the other wing.

Depending on how much depth we got it wouldn't be a bad idea to try it out especially since Higgins does have experience playing center in MTL where he has some of his best years statistically.

Archived