The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Sportsnet] Oilers Expected To Swap Picks With Columbus, Draft Ryan Murray

Edmonton flipping picks with Columbus doesn't make much sense. I can see Howson wanting to trade to get the 1st and 2nd overall picks but if Edmonton wants Murray that bad, Howson would make Edmonton draft him.

The source isn't that reliable either. I'd take Howson and or Stauffer over Kelly Friesen.

I'd just draft Yakupov and see who out of all the youngsters turns out to be the best players then trade the worst of the bunch for a solid defender or goalie.. Then just try and sign free agents to get by till these kids hit their prime. There'd be no stopping these kids if they get a really good goalie

If I'm Tambellini I'd try to acquire Hamonic and the Isles' 4th overall pick for the first-- the possibility of Yakupov with Tavares for years to come, and that's before counting Strome, Niederreiter, plus all their other complementary scorers :frantic:

Travis is already an emerging strong two-way guy who's an anchor on the Isles' D, and if Ryan Murray becomes the Niedermayer type they may have a lesser Duncan Keith - Brent Seabrook pairing for their future all from one trade.

Guest Dasein

If I'm Tambellini I'd try to acquire Hamonic and the Isles' 4th overall pick for the first-- the possibility of Yakupov with Tavares for years to come, and that's before counting Strome, Niederreiter, plus all their other complementary scorers :frantic:

Travis is already an emerging strong two-way guy who's an anchor on the Isles' D, and if Ryan Murray becomes the Niedermayer type they may have a lesser Duncan Keith - Brent Seabrook pairing for their future all from one trade.

Think Pavel Bure.

So is Dumba. Extremely.

He's 6'0" 173lbs - unless he adds +30lbs and grows a couple inches, he won't be able to translate his hard hitting shutdown game to the NHL because the forwards are much bigger and faster and stronger here. He might be able to dominate the juniors, but his style of play requires him to be one of the bigger guys, and he wouldn't be that in the NHL.

I'd go with Griffin Reinhart, Morgan Rielly, Cody Ceci or Olli Maatta.

Why not offer Hall to CBJ for the 2nd? Yakupov's gonna be better than Hall, CBJ gets their young star forward without having to worry about the "Russian Factor" (not that they should be anyway, but they have had bad luck with 'em), and EDM gets their stud d-man while keeping their superstar forward core.

If EDM is so clear cut on drafting Murray, then there is no point in CBJ moving up one spot.

Unless EDM threatens to take Yakupov unless CBJ moves down, but that is jeopardizing their future Ina game of chicken. (However Yakupov wouldn't be a horrible consolation prize. Would allow them to trade one of their other young wingers for a Dman)

No he won't - probably top 15. But I think he'll drop like Jordan Schroeder did because his game is all about physicality, and at 6'0" 173lbs, unless he grows a little taller and bulks up significantly, he'll have to change his style to succeed in the NHL.

He was ranked in the top 5 but continuously dropped throughout the year.

He may not break Stamkos' 60-goal feat in the NHL, but the potential is there. I see him as a possible 50-goal scorer. In terms of what impact he may make as a first-overall selection, some have placed him ahead of Patrick Kane and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. He is a highly-skilled player, and is one of the first I've seen to have been compared by NHL Central Scouting to Pavel Bure.

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=626755

He's the kind of quick, dynamic, offensive player anybody would want on their team. He has a tremendous shot, can skate very well, and can make something happen in the offensive zone every time he's on the ice. He definitely seems like a future elite NHL player.

Guest Dasein

Wow, I can guess of who you think of late at night based on all that love. I don't see him as either the future captain or face of the team, maybe if he could ever stay healthy he could be. For now Nuge is the face of the team, followed by eberle. Of their young 3 (hall, nuge, eberle) I would say he's actually the first to be traded of them

You underrated Hall so much it's not even funny.

Hall may not be the best player of the three right now, but if I was to give the captaincy to one of those three kids, it would be Hall. And there is no better playoff performer than Hall at the junior level, and he's the type of player that will come through when the games get tough.

Guest Dasein

Just curious, do you weigh the same now as you did when you were 18? Of course I don't know how old you are now..... but from my experience most people gain about 15-20 pounds by the time they turn 23 or 24. Happend to me, and my body fat % is less now than it was before. Just sayin....

Also : Scott Stevens - 6 feet, 200 pounds

Niklas Kronwal - 6 feet, 192 pounds

Dumba is an oppurtunistic hitter just like Stevens and Kronwall. When you catch a guy off guard who doesn't see the hit coming you don't have to be 220. And regardless of size, he did still pot 20 goals from the blueline.

Ya me too, Kassian will prob get little to no time in the top 6 this year.. The league is getting younger and becoming about younger players stepping up and contributing and Gillis said that before in a previous year end presser but idk how we are gunna have young talent contribute with AV behind the bench.

Get used to less Kass, Schroeder exc. and More Raymond (sigh)

Guest Dasein

What does he do that's earned him the C out of the three? I would give it to Eberle. Eberle actually wore a letter for Regina and team Canada unlike Hall. Eberle is also more clutch than Hall.

Hall's good but he's not as good as either eberle or nuge and is much more injury prone, which has been a concern since before he was drafted and has been shown true in his 2 pro seasons

Honestly, if I was EDM I'd trade my first overall to TBL for the 10th and 19th pick and maybe an early 2nd rd pick or prospect if necessary. Then draft Griffin Reinhart and Ludvik Bystrom or Slater Koekkoek for my D core.

EDM drafting Murray honestly makes no sense. They currently have 5 Dmen on one-way contracts( Whitney, Smid, Sutton, Schultz and Potter) and have to re-sign Petry and Peckham. Granted there D isn't stellar but if they re-sign Petry and Peckham that'll be 7 D-men on one-ways and thats not include Teubert and maybe Taylor Fedun pushing for a spot which is a waste of cap space and the returns they would get from any d trades would be minimal cause they know EDm needs to get rid of them to make space in the lineup.

They could also just keep the pik and draft Yakupov, then theyd have a top 6 of

Hall-RNH-Yakupov

paajarvu-Gagner-Eberle

Which to me looks pretty good.

AV has coached here 6 seasons now ,Kesler,Edler,Shneider and Hansen seem to be working out fine.

Alot of CDCers need to decide if they want to be going for a cup or if they want a team like the oilers and miss the playoffs year after year while having to watch the growing pains of rookies and second year players learning how to do the small things that make the difference between making the playoffs and being a contender .

If rookies want to play on a contender then will need to be well seasoned in the AHL so they transition flawlessly or play limited minutes in non critical situations and develop slowly in practise .

Archived