The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Lu For Vinny Really That Bad.........if Its The Best Offer?

Southpop45

260 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes, Luoooo for Vinny is really that bad. That wouldn't be the best offer, if Luongo wants to be traded when all is said and done, and regardless, the Canucks will not accept a devaluation like that. $7.7 cap hit til 2020 is ridiculous - not a single GM in the NHL would prefer Lecavalier's contract over Luongo.

We need a big, physical shutdown defenceman with playoff experience and I'd rather trade Schneider.

Something along the lines of Schneider for Brent Seabrook would be exactly what this team needs.

Edler - Seabrook

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Salo - Alberts

Tanev

That's a much bigger, physical defence already that can handle the big forwards who destroyed us in the last 2 playoff series.

Only 39% of people are saying "no" to this?

Luongo's not perfect, but he's not necessarily the problem, either. I would be inclined to keep him, and move Schneider. Trading Luongo is the definition of "selling low", and it would probably be a mistake, compounded by the fact that all reports seem to suggest that there's not exactly a ton of suitors for ol' Roberto.

Lecavalier's cap hit is insane, he's 32 years old, with a history of injuries, a history of inconsistent play, and a history of blocking a trade to his hometown team. He's turned into a Tampa guy; the nice weather, the relative anonymity, and the big dollars. Must be a pretty nice life. I don't imagine he'd have an ounce of interest in coming to play for the Canucks.

I would do this. Lecavalier is a good playoff performer and would add some much needed offense, and can center the second PP unit. For everyone saying what we need is a Number 1 D-man, what has been our biggest problem last two playoffs? It's been scoring goals. Lecavalier would for sure help out with that, though his contract does suck, if it brings us a cup or two in the next few years, who cares?

People only looking at his stats and saying he sucks, his points have been declining every year are funny. He still averages 0.75 points a game, and last year had more than a point a game in the playoffs.

I don't care if it's hockeybuzz, if you actually read the article it makes alot of sense. We could use him for 5 years and then buy him out at a cap hit of only $750,000. If the deal were to go down exactly as described, getting a top 10 pick would be huge too. Think of the possibilities, we could then even package the 10th overall pick with something else and move up a couple more spots.

You have to look at these deals long term, as it wouldn't be Luongo for Lecavalier straight up, it would be Luongo for Lecavalier and Matt Dumba/ Griffin Reinhart/ Cody Ceci/ Alex Galchenyuk

To top it off, it is speculated that the new cba will introduce an "out clause" to get rid of contracts like Lecavaliers, or theres always the chance that he just retires. I don't see why we would turn this deal down, if teams like washinton can have ovechkin with a 9.5 million dollar cap hit and still have a competitive team than it would definelty work for us.

Interesting article from hockeybuzz - http://www.hockeybuz...Sense/164/44618

If you dont wanna read the article ill sum it up:

1) Tampa is still interested in Lu but only if we take Vinny back

2) If you ignore the cap hit for a second its a good deal for both teams ( fills holes )

3) Vinny can still produce for the season and the playoffs, big body playmaker for kes and booth

4) Even though the cap would be tight we could still make it work

5) New CBA may include an out clause for over-paid contracts,

6) Cap hit will be raised by 3 - 5 mill next season

7) FInal offer - VAN: Vinny, 19th overall pick, 50th overall pick; TB: Lu, 26th overall pick, 2013 3rd round pick

My thoughts:

Vinny is a great player that can still produce both in the season and the playoffs. He would be the perfect guy to center kes and booth, not to mention that kes will be gone tilll november and id be way more comfortable with vinny on the second and schoerder on the third. Yes the contract sucks and thats the only reason i would consider not making this trade. On the other side of this argument it makes perfect sense for both teams. TB get their #1 goalie and we get a legit top 6 playmaking forward. In the end I would do his deal IF it was the only reasonable offer we got, but i would have to change the deal a little bit.

To VAN: Vinny, 10th overall pick

To TB: Lu, 26th overall pick, 2013 3rd round pick

Lecavalier's season records may not be that great but he is a proven playoff performer. He is huge and solid. I would definitely get him if we can.

Sedin-Sedin-Lacevalier

or

Booth-Lecavalier-Kesler

Both of which will be very deadly in the playoffs.

People only looking at his stats and saying he sucks, his points have been declining every year are funny. He still averages 0.75 points a game, and last year had more than a point a game in the playoffs.

I don't care if it's hockeybuzz, if you actually read the article it makes alot of sense. We could use him for 5 years and then buy him out at a cap hit of only $750,000. If the deal were to go down exactly as described, getting a top 10 pick would be huge too. Think of the possibilities, we could then even package the 10th overall pick with something else and move up a couple more spots.

You have to look at these deals long term, as it wouldn't be Luongo for Lecavalier straight up, it would be Luongo for Lecavalier and Matt Dumba/ Griffin Reinhart/ Cody Ceci/ Alex Galchenyuk

To top it off, it is speculated that the new cba will introduce an "out clause" to get rid of contracts like Lecavaliers, or theres always the chance that he just retires. I don't see why we would turn this deal down, if teams like washinton can have ovechkin with a 9.5 million dollar cap hit and still have a competitive team than it would definelty work for us.

The ???? Capitals are the barometer for what makes a competitive team now? Ovechkin's contract is not good if he doesn't play like he can. However, Vinny Lecavaler's contract is worse, one of the worst in the league. Yes, we can buy him out in five years, but I think we would want to be rid of that contract far sooner. Then, factor in that Schneider will want a raise, and within two or three years, if he is really as good as we think he is, will want a contract with a bigger cap hit than Luongo's 5.3 (which is on the small side for a good #1 goaltender now). Where will we get the cap space from? The only place it can come from is gutting the team's depth.

If you want to look at competitive teams, look at the ones that have recently won the cup. Most, but not all, of them featured players still on their ELC's in big roles. The reason so many think this is essential is obvious: in a salary cap world, if you're spending to the cap, how competitive your team is is going to correlate directly to what kind of value you're getting out of that cap space. Overpaid players mean less space to sign other players. Underpaid players mean more space to sign other players. Overpaid players means less depth and fewer quality role players, usually, and Vinny is one of the most overpaid players in the league! Look at Tampa's roster. No wonder Yzerman wants to unload that contract - Stamkos or no, they aren't in good shape and Lecavalier's contract is one of the major impediments to building a winner there. Why the heck should we take it on? We would have to be crazy.

A bad contract is a bad contract and you don't touch it, period. If this is the best trade offer we get for Luongo, why would we move him? Trade Schneider instead.

If you want to see what this does to the team's depth go to capgeek.com and fiddle around with their cap calculator. Add Lecavalier, re-sign Schneider to a reasonable deal and try to build a good Canucks team. Then carry it forward a year, when Burrows and Edler need new contracts. Then another year to when Schneider will want a big raise as well. You can't do it. Then realize that Lecavalier will likely be even more grossly overpaid in two years because he is getting worse every year. This trade would destroy the Canucks' future.

Hoping for an "out clause" is just foolish. It might happen or it might not. I would argue strenuously against it. The PA wants one because they don't think Wade Redden should be exiled from the league for signing a contract he can't possibly live up to, but why shouldn't he? If you put in a free buyout clause or something, get ready to see the New York Rangers overpay somebody every single year because hey, if it doesn't work out, no problem, just buy him out! I can't see the majority of owners agreeing to that because of what it would do to rising player salaries.

Archived