The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] B.c. Defence, Backup + Playmaker

Just having some fun, get the blood boiling in some CDC'er's with this proposal.

To Tampa:

Luongo

Edler

57th pick (2nd)

To Van:

10th, 19th and 40th picks (1st, 1st, 2nd)

Garon

----

To NYI:

Booth

Alberts

7th rounder (Becomes 5th if Parenteau signs)

To Van:

Negotiation rights to Parenteau

34th pick(2nd)

-----

To Nash:

10th, 26th, 40th, Tanev, Gragnani(rights)

To Van:

Weber's rights

-----

Raymond's rights, 19th, 40th in any of the previous deals if not enough.

----

Sign Garrison 4 yrs @ 3.0M/yr

Sign Jackson 3 yrs @ 3.7M/yr

Sign Weber 5 yrs @ 6.1M/yr

Sign Salo 1 yr @ 2.2M/yr

Sign Parenteau 4 yrs @ 3.3M/yr

Sign D. Jones 4 yrs @ 3.3M/yr

Sign Schneider 4 yrs @ 3.5M/yr

Sign Glass 1 yr @ 800k/yr

Sign Weise 1 yr @ 800k/yr

2-way contracts.

Sign Lack 2 yr @ 950k/yr

Sign Duco 1 yr @ 750k/yr

-------

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / David Jones ($3.300m)

Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / P-A Parenteau ($3.300m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Maxim Lapierr ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Tanner Glass ($0.800m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Dale Weise ($0.800m)

DEFENSEMEN

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Shea Weber ($6.100m)

Barret Jackman ($3.700m) / Jason Garrison ($3.000m)

Sami Salo ($2.200m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($3.500m)

Mathieu Garon ($1.300m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,250,000; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $1,750,000

Analysis:

Assuming a 69M Cap after the CBA negotiations Vancouver easily fits under by a cool 1.75M Which could easily be used if any of the previous signings seem low for the player listed. There are also the 19th and 40th overall picks to be used in these trades as well as rights to Raymond.

Parenteau if often thought to be over-rated because he plays with Tavares who is an elite player. Well slotting him in with Burrows and Kesler is not exactly like putting him on a line with a couple blind orangutans either. I think this line is the perfect "Grinder - Sniper - Playmaker" line a lot of teams aim for in the off season.

I believe Malhotra will have a much better year with a full off season of training, but still see him playing the 4th line with Schroeder playing the 3rd with Kesler out of the lineup.

(That and I REALLY want to see an all french Burrows - Lapierre - Parenteau line until Kesler returns.)

Weise played his part well enough throughout the season and seemed to like Vancouver, or at least like the attention he got from the girls on twitter for being a Canuck. Glass could be replaced with any 4th line left wing you can think of. I mainly inserted him to fill a hole in the roster as well as in my heart. I miss the bear fighting, mullet pull-off-ing, scrabble playing, Fanner Glass. Sue me.

Jones, Weber, Garrison, and Jackman all have called BC home at some point and all may take a hometown discount, or they may not. Regardless all are large, skilled, and could fit into the line up.

Salo returns as a 6th/7th for injuries, maintenance days, or doghouse days of any of the other D men

I chose to keep Ballard in the lineup for 2 reasons.

1. He was easily a top 4 defenseman in Florida, playing him left of Weber could probably bring that great play out of him again, knowing that he wont get caught in a bad position with an elite player next to him.

2. Edler's stock may have dropped a bit with his play for the Canucks the last few weeks of the season/playoffs, but he is still a sought after player with more trade value than Ballard.

Garon is a pickup in the Luongo/Edler deal just because I think he has it in him to hold the fort until Lack is ready for the NHL.

Well. It is a pipe dream I know, but I had fun writing it. :)

Archived