The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I Have Out Of Country Insurance, Do I Still Need To Pass Aircare?

digitalaudio

Ive been living out of Canada for a few years. I still have BC plates and out of country insurance.

My insurance is coming up for renewal soon. Do I still need to pass aircare? Thats a problem because it means ill have to drive all the way back from the southern US just to pass aircare.

Thx for any tips

If your car is older then 7 years then yes, but they give you some certain period of time. Also, you have to get an out of province inspection to be able to register it here. So I guess technically you have till when your American insurance runs out.

Edit: Re-read and I don't know the rules in the US, sorry.

So wait.

My dad just moved down to California to do some engineering work. He'll probably be there for 3-5 years.

Can he drive his car there with BC plates and a BC license for that long, as long as he has out of country insurance with ICBC and renews it?

Why would the province of BC require you to meet BC environmental standards when you won't be driving your car here? Think, jeeeeez. I don't know how some people manage to get by in this world...

If your car is older then 7 years then yes, but they give you some certain period of time. Also, you have to get an out of province inspection to be able to register it here. So I guess technically you have till when your American insurance runs out.

Edit: Re-read and I don't know the rules in the US, sorry.

I'm not 100% but I'm pretty darn sure you are required to have Air Care to be covered by insurance. If you have a BC licenseplate why wouldn't you have to have Air Care, I'm aware that he won't be in BC but if he comes back with a BC plate he still has to follow BC air care regulations. Since his car is still registered under BC plates...

So wait.

My dad just moved down to California to do some engineering work. He'll probably be there for 3-5 years.

Can he drive his car there with BC plates and a BC license for that long, as long as he has out of country insurance with ICBC and renews it?

I'm not 100% but I'm pretty darn sure you are required to have Air Care to be covered by insurance. If you have a BC licenseplate why wouldn't you have to have Air Care, I'm aware that he won't be in BC but if he comes back with a BC plate he still has to follow BC air care regulations. Since his car is still registered under BC plates...

If he's taking up residence in California and the car spends most of its time there, why doesn't he get it registered with California's motor vehicle registry, and get California plates and insurance. Isn't it required by law?

Archived