The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Germany Sets Solar Power Record: 50% Of Electricity Demand

Germany Sets Solar Power Record: 50% of Electricity Demand

May 27, 2012

(Reuters)

German solar power plants produced a world record 22 gigawatts of electricity per hour—equal to 20 nuclear power stations at full capacity—through the midday hours on Friday and Saturday, the head of a renewable energy think tank said.

The German government decided to abandon nuclear power after the Fukushima nuclear disaster last year, closing eight plants immediately and shutting down the remaining nine by 2022.

They will be replaced by renewable energy sources such as wind, solar and bio-mass.

Norbert Allnoch, director of the Institute of the Renewable Energy Industry (IWR) in Muenster, said the 22 gigawatts of solar power per hour fed into the national grid on Saturday met nearly 50 percent of the nation's midday electricity needs.

"Never before anywhere has a country produced as much photovoltaic electricity," Allnoch told Reuters. "Germany came close to the 20 gigawatt (GW) mark a few times in recent weeks. But this was the first time we made it over."

The record-breaking amount of solar power shows one of the world's leading industrial nations was able to meet a third of its electricity needs on a work day, Friday, and nearly half on Saturday when factories and offices were closed.

http://insideclimatenews.org/breaking-news/20120527/germany-sets-solar-power-record-50-electricity-demand

That's amazing, and it's only been how long since Fukushima? Why aren't we doing this? :shock:

Although totally getting rid of Nuclear Power is a bad idea in my books. They only create minuscule amounts of pollution (radioactive waste) compared to the burning of coal and using oil.

I'll be honest, I'm not an expert on Canada's energy policy, but aren't we still using coal? Hydro is what, ~60% of our energy production? I'm not against nuclear, but it is certainly not my first choice for energy either.

Solar technology is advancing by leaps and bounds, but even so, it's an awful big leap for a country that doesn't get a particularily great amount of intense sunlight nor have an excess of suitable available land to have to depend on it to such a degree.

While good for both the environment and for political purposes, this could wind up being an economic disaster for Germany.

Solar technology is advancing by leaps and bounds, but even so, it's an awful big leap for a country that doesn't get a particularily great amount of intense sunlight nor have an excess of suitable available land to have to depend on it to such a degree.

While good for both the environment and for political purposes, this could wind up being an economic disaster for Germany.

Great stuff, but this article is very misleading. It seems to suggest that Germany is capable of producing 50% of its power via solar power. It fails to mention a few things. This happened during a summer month. The output won't be nearly as high during the winter. It also happened during a relatively low energy use time, the mid day. Energy use spikes just after the work day. During the work day it's relatively low.

In 2011, only 3% of Germany's power was supplied by solar:

http://af.reuters.com/article/commoditiesNews/idAFL6E7NT1WK20111229?sp=true

/debbie downer.

Great stuff from Germany. I'd be interested to see a breakdown of the cost per unit of energy created though.

Great stuff, but this article is very misleading. It seems to suggest that Germany is capable of producing 50% of its power via solar power. It fails to mention a few things. This happened during a summer month. The output won't be nearly as high during the winter. It also happened during a relatively low energy use time, the mid day. Energy use spikes just after the work day. During the work day it's relatively low.

In 2011, only 3% of Germany's power was supplied by solar:

http://af.reuters.co...0111229?sp=true

/debbie downer.

Great stuff from Germany. I'd be interested to see a breakdown of the cost per unit of energy created though.

With the size of our land mass, we should be using solar and wind for energy.

They still burn coal here in Alberta.

"The Liberal government is pitching Asian investors and buyers on an ambitious plan for a string of proposed LNG plants on the province's north coast. Premier Christy Clark is saying that the first three of them will be up and running by 2020.

What she's not saying, though, is how she'll come up with the huge amounts of electricity required to compress, cool, and liquefy the gas for these new LNG plants. Here's maybe why: BC Hydro simply doesn't have the capacity to provide even close to the amount of power required for these projects.

It also has no plan to build or buy the power that would be needed. The first three LNG proposals alone slated for 2020 would require about half of the electricity that's currently consumed by the entire province."

More here:

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Where+power+plants/6688791/story.html

"Maxim Power Corp. Announces Agreement to Acquire Additional Coal Lease

Maxim Power Corp. MXG

5/9/2012 7:52:57 PM

Maxim Power Corp. Announces Agreement to Acquire Additional Coal Lease

CALGARY, ALBERTA -- (Marketwire) -- 05/09/12 -- Maxim Power Corp. ("MAXIM" or the "Corporation") (TSX:MXG) announced today that its wholly owned subsidiary, Summit Coal Inc. ("SUMMIT"), has entered into an agreement to acquire an additional coal lease for its Mine 14 project. The new lease comprises 1,328 hectares and is contiguous to SUMMIT's existing Mine 14 coal leases. Upon closing this acquisition, SUMMIT's lease holdings increase a further 25% to 6,669 hectares. The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions.

SUMMIT had issued an updated Technical Report for its Mine 14 (metallurgical coal) project pursuant to National Instrument 43-101 on May 3, 2012. This report excludes potential Resources and Reserves associated with this new lease and the two leases recently acquired in the Alberta Government's Public Offering of Crown Coal Rights on May 2, 2012.

SUMMIT intends to carry out an exploration program during 2012 to identify additional Resources and Reserves on both its existing and recently acquired leases. Upon the completion of this program, SUMMIT intends to issue a further updated Technical Report.

Additional information on Mine 14 can be found in the Technical Report on the Mine 14 Project for Summit Coal Inc. dated May 3, 2012, which is available on SEDAR (www.sedar.com).

About MAXIM

Based in Calgary, Alberta, MAXIM is an independent power producer, which acquires or develops, owns and operates innovative and environmentally responsible power and power related projects. MAXIM currently owns and operates 40 power plants in western Canada, United States and France, having 788 MW of electric and 111 MW of thermal net generating capacity. MAXIM trades on the TSX under the symbol "MXG". For more information about MAXIM, visit our website at www.maximpowercorp.com."

http://www.stockhouse.com/News/CanadianReleasesDetail.aspx?n=8507824' rel="external nofollow">

If you just read the title it would seem to suggest that they are capable of producing 50% of their power from solar. If you read further into the article and then do your own research, you find out that they only produced that on a single occasion and that solar produces a much much smaller percentage of their power (3% in 2011).

The article fails to mention this feat was accomlished during low power usage hours and it doesn't go into the seasonal production of the solar panels.

With the size of our land mass, we should be using solar and wind for energy.

They still burn coal here in Alberta.

"The Liberal government is pitching Asian investors and buyers on an ambitious plan for a string of proposed LNG plants on the province's north coast. Premier Christy Clark is saying that the first three of them will be up and running by 2020.

What she's not saying, though, is how she'll come up with the huge amounts of electricity required to compress, cool, and liquefy the gas for these new LNG plants. Here's maybe why: BC Hydro simply doesn't have the capacity to provide even close to the amount of power required for these projects.

It also has no plan to build or buy the power that would be needed. The first three LNG proposals alone slated for 2020 would require about half of the electricity that's currently consumed by the entire province."

More here:

http://www.vancouver...8791/story.html

"Maxim Power Corp. Announces Agreement to Acquire Additional Coal Lease

Maxim Power Corp. MXG

5/9/2012 7:52:57 PM

Maxim Power Corp. Announces Agreement to Acquire Additional Coal Lease

CALGARY, ALBERTA -- (Marketwire) -- 05/09/12 -- Maxim Power Corp. ("MAXIM" or the "Corporation") (TSX:MXG) announced today that its wholly owned subsidiary, Summit Coal Inc. ("SUMMIT"), has entered into an agreement to acquire an additional coal lease for its Mine 14 project. The new lease comprises 1,328 hectares and is contiguous to SUMMIT's existing Mine 14 coal leases. Upon closing this acquisition, SUMMIT's lease holdings increase a further 25% to 6,669 hectares. The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions.

SUMMIT had issued an updated Technical Report for its Mine 14 (metallurgical coal) project pursuant to National Instrument 43-101 on May 3, 2012. This report excludes potential Resources and Reserves associated with this new lease and the two leases recently acquired in the Alberta Government's Public Offering of Crown Coal Rights on May 2, 2012.

SUMMIT intends to carry out an exploration program during 2012 to identify additional Resources and Reserves on both its existing and recently acquired leases. Upon the completion of this program, SUMMIT intends to issue a further updated Technical Report.

Additional information on Mine 14 can be found in the Technical Report on the Mine 14 Project for Summit Coal Inc. dated May 3, 2012, which is available on SEDAR (www.sedar.com).

About MAXIM

Based in Calgary, Alberta, MAXIM is an independent power producer, which acquires or develops, owns and operates innovative and environmentally responsible power and power related projects. MAXIM currently owns and operates 40 power plants in western Canada, United States and France, having 788 MW of electric and 111 MW of thermal net generating capacity. MAXIM trades on the TSX under the symbol "MXG". For more information about MAXIM, visit our website at www.maximpowercorp.com."

http://www.stockhouse.com/News/CanadianReleasesDetail.aspx?n=8507824' rel="external nofollow">

Archived