The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Calls To Cut Funding For Moncton University That Prohibits Hiring Of Gays

Calls to cut funding for Moncton university that prohibits hiring of gays

Global Maritimes : Monday, May 28, 2012 3:33 AM

CRANDALL-UNIVERSITY.jpg?size=sw380nws

Gay rights activists are demanding public funding be taken away from Moncton's Crandall University because it prohibits the hiring of people in homosexual relationships.

Photo Credit: Video files , Global Maritimes

Updated at 3:32 p.m. Tuesday

MONCTON - Gay rights activists are demanding public funding be taken away from Moncton's Crandall University.

The institution has a policy not to hire people in homosexual relationships, something two groups say is a violation of human rights.

Since 1996, the Christian university, formerly known as Atlantic Baptist University, has benefited from about $24 million in funding from all levels of government, despite the policy.

"If you're going to use public money, it has to be used for the public," says Josie Harding of River of Pride -the group that organizes the annual lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered (LGBT pride week.

"I think (funding) should be cut if they are indeed a public institution and want to enforce this. It's against human rights law," she says.

Moncton has actually increased funding in recent years, with council voting in 2010 to raise its annual $100,000 grant by a further $50,000.

Earlier this month, council passed a long-term grant policy that allows Crandall University to qualify for more funding, despite its anti-homosexual rules.

Councillor Daniel Bourgeois is against the policy, but thinks the school should still get the money.

"These are institution that draw to the city the best and brightest minds in the region," Bourgeois says.

His opinion isn't shared by the Canadian Association of University Teachers, which won't even recognize it as a university because of the policy.

"If an institution calls itself a university and imposes an ideological test or a faith test as a condition of being able to be a professor there, we think it's entirely inappropriate," CAUT Executive Director James Turk, says.

Read Crandall University's Statement of Moral Standards

The university doesn't believe it's violating anyone's human rights and says it's rules are open to debate.

"The human rights standard does allow for certain bonafide impositions as it relates to faith and religious positions," Vice-President of Academic Affairs Seth Crowell says. "I'm fine with those who want to disagree and challenge it."

Even students come and challenge it," he says.

I don't understand how things like this continue in Canada. I hope someone gets smoked by a book, preferably a rule book on funding religious discrimination with public money.

Fair enough, it is a clear human rights violation.

At the same time, I can't imagine any gay teachers really wanting to go work there even if they do change the policy, since they would still most likely be discriminated against in some way.

Archived