The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Possible Offseason Moves (Involving Tor & Nas)

There are comments floating around from some Toronto broadcasters that Schenn, Gardiner, and Toronto's 1st are not out of the question for Luongo

I SERIOUSLY doubt we get quite that much for Luongo on his own, but if we added Edler I could see it happening:

Then we have some assets to pry Weber from Nashville (assuming he doesn't plan on re-signing with them). Nashville has to move him before July 1st if they can't sign him or they will most certainly lose him to a 1yr offer sheet... and quite possibly to us. They simply can't afford to match an offer sheet and let him walk in a year for nothing as a UFA.

I suspect if we gave them Toronto's 1st round pick, Gardiner, and Ballard (Nashville seriously needs some defencemen under contract... especially if they lose Suter) they would take that deal in a heartbeat rather than having to accept a much lesser offer sheet compensation.

So with those two moves and a bit of low risk minor UFA tinkering, here is a lineup:

(Huselius is a low risk-high reward signing and is a pure playmaker who has a chance of turning Booth and Kesler into an actual effective line... if he fails you just waive him.

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Kristian Huselius ($2.500m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Zack Kassian ($0.870m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Travis Moen ($1.500m)

Andrew Ebbett ($0.525m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Shea Weber ($7.500m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)

Chris Tanev ($0.900m) / Sami Salo ($2.000m)

Marc-Andre Gragnani ($0.605m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($3.000m)

Curtis Sanford ($0.600m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,900,000; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,400,000

I think we could get Huselius for $2.5 because there is simply no guarantee that he comes back to full form (a la Sturm)... he has basically missed a season and a half due to injury. Plus going to a contending team full of Swedes might appeal to him.

As for having him on the 2nd line... like I said, low risk - high reward. I just don't know who else is out there for cheap that has a chance to somehow make the Booth/Kesler combo actually work (they certainly haven't so far).

Just imagine our line up if MG pulled off Luongo for that package? What about Luongo + Booth + Ballard for that package? Draft Glachenyuk

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Huselius - Glachenyuk - Kesler

Higgins - Malhotra - Schroeder

Kassian - Lapierre - Hansen

Edler - Schenn

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Tanev - Gardiner

Schneider

Lack

:mellow:

Just imagine our line up if MG pulled off Luongo for that package? What about Luongo + Booth + Ballard for that package? Draft Glachenyuk

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Huselius - Glachenyuk - Kesler

Higgins - Malhotra - Schroeder

Kassian - Lapierre - Hansen

Edler - Schenn

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Tanev - Gardiner

Schneider

Lack

:mellow:

Luongo and Edler could fetch us a better return if we traded them. Thankfully, we won't be trading them.

And people need to give up on getting Weber. There is no point in getting him when we could very well lose him to Free Agency the next season.

Luongo and Edler could fetch us a better return if we traded them. Thankfully, we won't be trading them.

And people need to give up on getting Weber. There is no point in getting him when we could very well lose him to Free Agency the next season.

Clearly you don't give up a ton of assets for Weber unless it is a sign and trade deal, that would be stupid... otherwise you could just lose him THIS summer to someone else's offer sheet, never mind next season.

He is signed to a long term contract (at least 4 years if not double that) in this scenario.

I don't know that Luongo and Edler get more than a 5th overall pick, and two guys who are top 4 defencemen on most teams. It would be nice to think... but a little doubtful.

I don't see how you are of the opinion that Luongo is not going to be traded. There is virtually NO WAY he stays for next season and Schneider moves. Not because I believe that he is a bad goalie.. but because he has already been in a no-win situation in Vancouver for years, and if he stayed over Schneider he would have to get shutouts every single game in order not to be booed by his own fans on a nightly basis.

I think you have to have rights to the player before you can make negotiations with them, though I could be wrong.

I think Lu and Edler get us more in the sense of helping us now. IMO, Lu's value + Edler's value = similar range as Weber's. I think this because of how much those two could get us.

And I don't know how you think Lu being traded is a must. Schneider can get us more in a trade. And Lu has done everything for us besides a stanley cup, what has Schneider done? He's won one playoff game in his career, and I don't trust the chances of him getting 60+ games plus playoffs a season.

And so what if some idiotic fans boo Luongo? He's a big boy, he can handle it. He's more mentally tough than most people think.

I don't disagree and I have said many times that Luongo is the better and more proven goalie right now, but I think iet is pretty clear that ship has now definitely sailed and he will not be back.

The situation is just not good any way you look at it. The distraction to the team of it next year would not be conducive to success or building a winner. Just picture in your mind the first month of the season and Luongo has his normal slow start... it would be mayhem. Just look at the whinging that goes on about Grabner and Hodgson (heck even Bernier lately). Teams surrounded by drama tend not to do well, that is why goalie controversies, etc aren't good.

You can definitely to sign and trade deals, you get permission to negotiate a contract with the player as a subject of the trade happening. The original team actually signs the contract based on what you negotiate, and then you file the trade.

In the case of Weber, it is the only way that Nashville gets anything close to market value for him. No one will trade a top pick or a top roster player for just the rights to negotiate with him for a couple of weeks.

There is no evidence to believe 'his ship has sailed'. Luongo always has slow starts, so having another one would be the same as any other year. And there's no way that the whining on CDC would affect the team in any way.The Canucks have been surrounded by drama for years, and that won't change no matter who is in net.

As for the Weber part, thanks for the info! Now I know.

Edit: for some reason, not all of my post was there when I posted it.

Archived