The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

American Hockey League To Test Hybrid Icing And Ringette Line Next Year

Opmac

NEW YORK, N.Y. - NHL general managers have instructed NHL senior VP of hockey operations Colin Campbell to speak with AHL president Dave Andrews to move forward on testing hybrid icing and the Bowman or ringette line rule in the AHL next season.

The hybrid icing rule is designed to better protect vulnerable defencemen in races for the puck by using the offensive face-off circles to determine whether icing should be called or waved off.

The ringette, or Scotty Bowman line, will prevent players from passing the puck past the red line until they cross the faceoff dots in their defensive zone.

A new concept also discussed was "travelling penalties." The idea is that, in a playoff series, a player who takes a penalty late in the game has their penalty carried forward to the next game. A major penalty that occurs within the last five minutes and a minor within the last two minutes would be carried forward, assuming the team on the powerplay does not score.

The travelling penalties idea will be studied further before a course of action is selected.

The "travelling penalties" thing is stupid.

One of the best things about the playoffs is that each game has no tangible effect on the others (except for injuries/suspensions). Wipe the slate clean, and play another...

I think the penalty rule is pretty dumb. Each game should have a clean start.. Taking a late penalty could end a series by killing any chance of gaining momentum back in the next game.

Say you lost the first 2 games and take a penalty with 10secs left in the second game. If u give up a powerplay goal to start game 3, it would be a serious backbreaker

-Hybrid icing is a great idea, should have done it years ago

-I'm kind of meh on the ringette line, seems kin of strange. Sort of like a semi-two line pass rule. Also isn't the ringette line normally placed the top of the face off circles, rather than right at the face off dots?

-Travelling penalties - stupid idea. Each game is a separate event. If someone does something stupid in the last seconds of a game, give them a fine or suspension, not a carry over penalty.

There is no chance the NHLPA would support carrying penalties into the next game. I am fine with anything that encourages forechecking, but the ringette line seems out of place. Just call the rulebook the same during the playoffs as in the regular season. Get rid of the trapezoid behind the net so goaltenders can roam a bit again. Bring in automatic icing. That will cut down concussion numbers right there and go a long way to fixing things.

I'm okay with the travelling penalties rule. This prevents players and teams from throwing away the game and "punishing players". How often do you see a team get blown out only to goon it up and try to hurt opposing players? This also gets rid of "plugs and goons" from the game hopefully leading to a more skilled game.

A lot of people saying each playoff game is a singular event, hmm isn't that what a regular season game is? Those are one and done.

A playoff game is part of a playoff series. Both team and player stats in the playoffs are picked apart by series. Nobody cares how good a player played in one game of a series but the entire series. if Kesler only had one good game during the Nashville series nobody would care but the fact he played so well the entire series makes it a notable series for him.

Just my thought.

I'm okay with the travelling penalties rule. This prevents players and teams from throwing away the game and "punishing players". How often do you see a team get blown out only to goon it up and try to hurt opposing players? This also gets rid of "plugs and goons" from the game hopefully leading to a more skilled game.

A lot of people saying each playoff game is a singular event, hmm isn't that what a regular season game is? Those are one and done.

A playoff game is part of a playoff series. Both team and player stats in the playoffs are picked apart by series. Nobody cares how good a player played in one game of a series but the entire series. if Kesler only had one good game during the Nashville series nobody would care but the fact he played so well the entire series makes it a notable series for him.

Just my thought.

Archived